medicine without chemistry (1 Viewer)

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
i'm in yr 11 now and i havent chosen chemistry as a subject but i hav been contemplating studying medicine at uni. for unsw it says that chemistry is only recommended so will not having done chem affect my chances of getting in? anyone else got into med without chem?

FinalFantasy

HSC
im in yr 12 and im tryin to get in med atm and i didn't do chemistry
it's fine, just take a bridge course if u have to

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
If chemistry is part of the assumed knowledge (which for most science courses, it is), then you're not required to have studied it in high school.

It will not affect your chances of getting into the course you want, but during the course, you will probably find it less challenging if you did study the particular subject. You could always do a bridging course, or sacrifice some TV-time to teach yourself. ;)

Pace_T

HSC
Bridging courses are good. They basically condense the whole course into a period of two weeks I've been told. Much better than actually doing it for the HSC and getting tested on it :p

FinalFantasy

HSC
velox said:
No, some uni's have prerequisites, so bridging courses aren't any use.
i thought bridging courses would satisfy the "pre-requisite"...

P

pLuvia

FinalFantasy said:
i thought bridging courses would satisfy the "pre-requisite"...
which unis need chemistry as prerequisites for pharmacy? and medical science.. i no that USYD does.. n i wanna go there

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC

7minute

HSC
Assumed knowledge means that the lecturers assume you've done that course and know the content -in theory. At UNSW it seems that you can get by in medicine if you haven't done chemistry. It really helps to have a background in science though. Talking to people in my year I found that those who had done less science at school tended to find the content of the course a little harder.

If you haven't done chemistry or biology (physics doesn't seem to matter) then Foundations is a good time to learn for yourself anything that you need to know that you don't know from school.

Hope that makes sense...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)