medstudentsonline.com.au (1 Viewer)

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
If you really enjoy messing with computers or even gardening for example, I doubt the idea of doing it for the next 40 years will stop you from pursuing a career in it. When people opt for medicine because they believe "medicine is respected" or "medicine rewards you" and the usual "medicine is above all else and I'm gona aim for it because it's so high and if I gain entry, I'm so fucking cool" is a waste of your energy, time, resources and above all else, happiness/life. I don't like these people who post their ignorant threads such as: "is medicine worth it?", "which university is best for med?", "should I put dent as a preference?", "I got in, mummi chow b vetty excited now". These sorts of jokers, once graduated, contribute heavily to an already ill health care system.
i dont see anything wrong with asking those questions. by asking, people can get a genuine feel for whether they think they're suited to med or not.

dp624

HSC
Applications criteria:

- completed bachelor degree (science or health related only) with honours
- min 12 months experience within health care environment
- revamped gamsat (to include psychometic testing and personal statement).
- one year intro course (provides insight to broad range of medicine/surgery)
- series of interviews conducted by wide range of professionals and community members
That's like:
year 12 graduate
do course (~3 years)
honours (~1 year)
experience (~1 year, as course + honours doesn't leave much free time)
intro course: 1yr
med course itself: ~4-6 years
intern: 2-3 years
etc etc
gawd, doctors would be like 75 when they grad (ok, exag, but yeah)

HSC
N/A
Interning in NSW, by law, is two years minimum - (and often, that's all).
Other states are cool with a mere year.
gawd, doctors would be like 75 when they grad (ok, exag, but yeah)
Goodbye oral+maxfax surgery. :(

Bacilli, your thing is worse than US med school admission requirements.
- one year intro course (provides insight to broad range of medicine/surgery)
Graduate medical programs have that in their version of fundies, as do some undergraduate allied health/health science degrees.
How can we better the application process of med?
One may argue deregulation of degree places, and then Australia would end up like Cuba, with its overabundance of professionals; doctors and lawyers.

It's fine as it is.
katie tully said:
I was a dental nurse a year or so back and I can say that any desire to become a dentist was quickly quashed by the experience. There is nothing as heart warming as hearing 15 patients a day say 'omg i hate dentists'. And the work is so routine and mundane, if I had to assist with another filling I think I'd have ended up necking myself.
I genuinely hate dentists on principle - unless I know them, in which case the very act of observation changes mental perception.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
PV ="worked for me"... Yeah, exactly my point.
"bitter loser" I'm glad I'm not asian

FOTB: awesome, except for section 1. :(

Dipshit- "those questions provide insight" neg rep'd for advocating incompetence. What's the effectiveness of this program BOS calls "all your own work" If students still aren't able to research? Gtfo

Lucid: The American selection and health care system has its downfalls but compared to ours, it's superior. Our selection system is not ok, it"s a fkn crock.

I think u kids just want the easy way... We need to make it harder and more analytical to knock out the scabs.

Obviously lucid you've never been admitted to a hospital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)