Melbourne Uni Colleges (1 Viewer)

jme650

HSC
Well i think i'd prefer a medium/smaller college, so i guess ormond wouldn't be the way to go. Any comments about the uni and living in Melbourne in general. I don't really know what to expect cause i'm moving from interstate and am not from that large a town.

sarahn

HSC
With regards to St Hilda's...I live there and love it! I'm going back for my third year next year...if you're from a small town you'll fit in well, since we're mainly country students (as opposed to say, Trinity or Ormond which have a high proportion of city kids). We have an awesome social life - there are official events nearly every Wednesday, and we head to the pub on a couple of other nights most weeks - that said all colleges have great social scenes. Mary's is also a great college, however be warned with Newman that their head of college is EXTREMELY strict.

About tutorials: all colleges have tutes, and if they don't have one for your subject, you can always go to a tute at another college. That said I reckon college tutes are overrated...

*maddi*

HSC
i havent heard from any of the colleges yet! should i be freaking out? cos i am! i applied at ormond, and only got an 87, but i was the first science kid that they interviewed and they said thats good for me coz they need balance...so i assume i havent gotten in there. i dont really care so long as i get in somewhere! 3 days and i havent heard, does that mean im in the applicant pool?

kenny.

HSC
Maybe try calling them? but I'd assume that they'll at least contact you even if you didnt get in..

*maddi*

HSC
kenny. said:
Maybe try calling them? but I'd assume that they'll at least contact you even if you didnt get in..
thats what i thought too. i might email them and see whats going on because i am freaking out so bad!

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I heard from Trinity the other day, but I have some friends who applied to Ormond and they haven't heard anything yet either. Hang tight and good luck!

*maddi*

HSC
Fish Sauce said:
I heard from Trinity the other day, but I have some friends who applied to Ormond and they haven't heard anything yet either. Hang tight and good luck!
thanks! that is such a relief (no sarcasm). i already emailed them though, i find it really hard to hang tight at the best of times. lol.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
*maddi* said:
thanks! that is such a relief (no sarcasm). i already emailed them though, i find it really hard to hang tight at the best of times. lol.
Don't worry neither do I, I sent in a question to Trinity just before Uni offers came out just to make sure I was in their minds, lol.

*maddi*

HSC
they got back to me real quick. this is what they said:

"Thanks for your email. Ormond has many applications and our Selection Committee is processing them as quickly as possible. It could be some days before we are able to give you an answer regarding your application. Please contact us again in the middle of next week if we haven’t contacted you by then."

that made me feel lots better. at least i know that they cant forget about me now.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
*maddi* said:
they got back to me real quick. this is what they said:

"Thanks for your email. Ormond has many applications and our Selection Committee is processing them as quickly as possible. It could be some days before we are able to give you an answer regarding your application. Please contact us again in the middle of next week if we haven’t contacted you by then."

that made me feel lots better. at least i know that they cant forget about me now.
Yeah the Melbourne Colleges seem to be pretty good about replying. Good luck with your application, I was very lucky to get into Trinity. I actually got in because I'm doing Environments and they have a tutor there who didn't have much to do, lol. Although I guess the rest of my application was good that was the factor that put me over the edge. Feeling pretty lucky right now. :p

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Skillo said:
...but you'll be surprised how clean boys can be!
Wow, haven't visited this thread in aages.
With all due respect, Skillo, after a year in college I say: boys are gross!
Ew ew ew.
Nah you're right I guess it's only a few who let the rest down

lilou

HSC
Does anyone know anything about Janet Clarke Hall?? I found out yesterday that I got a scholarship! Are there many local students? Is it a nice place to live?? Thanks heaps!!!

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
congratulations lilou!
very close of mine went to JCH and she loves it.
small, as you would know, very strong sense of community, really everyone's nice. quite sure it's not clique-y like some of the bigger colleges. so yes, a very nice place to live and rumoured to have some of the best food on the crescent, despite a tendency to overload you with carbs. mostly local students.
all the best

lilou

HSC
Thank you so much for your post!! I was feeling a little bit nervous, and you just made my day! Thanks heaps! I am really excited about living on campus! Anyone else had offers yet?

free fallin

HSC
this is a really great thread but does anyone know anything about University College and/or International House as they haven't really been mentioned much......

Joel8945

HSC
Hey guys,

I've been studying at Melbourne uni for almost 1 semester (My signature says what I'm studying) and I had no idea that these college things existed! I thought that if you needed to live somewhere you would just post some application.

I looked through our website (as monstrously big as it is) and I found out that to live in these things you need to supply an ENTER! Like I mean your not getting a degree through a college so that sounds really trivial and don't these colleges cost like 16k for 2 semesters or so?

Gee I have really realised how little I know about this uni I'm studying at. But I guess us science students have too many contact hours (and too much work) to sift through the tons of information.

free fallin

HSC
Hi Joel...yeh well I'm coming from Interstate and yes colleges do cost a lot of money but for someone coming to melbourne and not knowing anyone they are a great way to meet people and convenient because they are on campus. They provide everything though including all meals. I guess if you live in Melbourne you may not consider living in college..its weird that you haven't heard them mentioned though...haha now that you know they exist you'll probably find yourself hearing about them heaps now! :) That's how it always goes with me...

Miner

HSC
Hey guys,

I looked through our website (as monstrously big as it is) and I found out that to live in these things you need to supply an ENTER! Like I mean your not getting a degree through a college so that sounds really trivial and don't these colleges cost like 16k for 2 semesters or so?
They don't cost quite that much usually but they are expensive. One of my brothers is $13k and the other is $11k.

As for the ENTER, some would use that to decide how likely you are to get an offer in the first place, some colleges use them because they are elitist and use great grades as a promotional line, and most colleges have scholarships and bursaries where academic merit comes into play.

The ones in Adelaide (which is the state I know about) also require applicants to sign a consent for the uni to release your grades to the college. This actually allows them to step in and provide counselling and tutoring where they believe it is needed, and also helps them in selecting tutors in later years of residence. Tutors either get paid hourly rates or get significant fee reductions so that helps meet the costs to live in them as well. Once again college scholarships, prizes and bursaries also come into play.

I do think it sucks the way many states make you wait until after uni offers to say if you are in or not though. My youngest brother already has his acceptance for next year in Adelaide, and according to the college there were many accepted for 2010 before him.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)