Memorising 5 essays for the trials... (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
It is possible that you could construct a generic essay that is pretty much adaptable to most possible questions. That's what I did, along with memorising some additional techniques and quotes in case thinga went awry. If you can answer the question again and again, you won't get marked down.

And even in the case that you receive a question with a different text type, you can still adapt your generic essay to the form and structures needed of such a text type, such as a speech, interview or feature article. You've got reading time and perhaps planning time to think of what areas you will break up in order to appropriate what you've memorised.

Josh22

HSC
My HSC exams consist of:

4 English essays + creative piece
4 Legal essays (crimex2, family, shelter)
2 PE extended responses
2 Business extended responses

A total of 12 essays = :eek:

Memorising= awful idea!!!!
my teacher who is a HSC marker always tells us how you can tell the difference between memorized essays with an adapted intro. to others...

+ having ideas with quotes and analysis( or something similar for subjects other than English) is the best way and it develops your writing :sun:

4 English Essays + Creative piece
1 Extension English essay(for an hour) + creative writing
4 Ancient History extended responses + 1 full length essays
4 Modern History extended responses + 2 full length essays
2 hour long History Extension essays

= 18 essays!!!! :0

diametric

HSC
That's pretty much a broken up essay. I've tried using this method alone and i end up writing the essay i would've written and memorised.

This, although your story should be adaptable as well as you never know what sort of form they want you to write in.

They can only ask you so much in english - either a generic question or a question based on a specific theme/emotion. That's about it.
I just mentioned the story because the stimulus can be really out of left field sometimes. I did Advanced last yr, and had difficulty adapting my story to the question. I ended up writing a speech :O

But everything worked out, I ended up getting 94 overall.

edit: the speech was still based on my story! so adapt away, kids!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I just mentioned the story because the stimulus can be really out of left field sometimes. I did Advanced last yr, and had difficulty adapting my story to the question. I ended up writing a speech :O

But everything worked out, I ended up getting 94 overall.

edit: the speech was still based on my story! so adapt away, kids!
Oh i see, i hope our stimulus will be nice and simple :)

Good work, i hope to achieve ~94 for english as well ^^

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
I find that memorising essays don't work, but rather memorising and understanding the main points of the argument/text/examples/quotes/whatever are the most effective methods of studying since you can adapt your answer to the question.

So many of my HSC friends have done badly in English because they have memorised, regurgitated and the teacher's have picked it up. Don't do it if you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)