memorising essays? (1 Viewer)

kr73114

HSC
can you give me some tips on memorising an essay, im finding it hard

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Read it and write it as much as possible. Even the old 'Look Cover Write and Check' method can be useful here.

Luxxey

candied queen
HSC
Break it down into basic points. Ideas/techniques/examples are the most important things to learn, don't get stuck on the exact words you use. This way you're more flexible when you get sprung with a question you didn't prepare for.

Also if you're an aural learner reciting out loud to yourself works.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
How i do it. Recite in my head the line.. recite recite recite.

If it's failnig to work. I write in red pen, in the margin, a word(s) that i'm strugglnig to remember in the sentence.

Highlighting in different colours may also help. Colour coding perhaps.. pink = techniques, yellow = quotes. etc.

Other than that.

..the old 'Look Cover Write and Check' method
.. but as the other have said, it may be better to memorise 'ideas and examples'

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Which is pretty much the essay.
Not really. Individual quotes and ideas can be shaped and molded. An full essay structure is more difficult to adapt.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, memorising essays can be done but it's far more beneficial (imo) to just remember the key points and then you don't waste time thinking what the next sentence was or your pro ideas that you can't seem to remember exactly right and what order it all comes in and stuff.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Not really. Individual quotes and ideas can be shaped and molded. An full essay structure is more difficult to adapt.
Really? I find that it's easier since you've got the structure already there. You only have to relate it to the question by rewording things while you write out your essay.

Having a whole bunch of quotes and themes means you have to take time to plan it. That's harder and takes up precious time.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I guess a basic structure is alright. A full essay prewritten though is what I'm against. They're hard to mold, especially if its an obscure question.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
If you spend about two or so minutes roughly planning an essay during an exam you may find that it really helps.
I did this for English, Visual Arts, Modern and Ancient and I found that having a rough outline of what I was going to talk about kept me from stopping and starting every few sentences.

kr73114

HSC
how is it possible to not memorise anything and write a thousand words in 40 mins?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Practice, and a strong understanding of your texts. Although, for complex texts, you would need a basic memory of importance evidence in relation to your topic.

jasonn

HSC
leave finishing the essay to the night before, try to memorise it until you fall asleep due to exhaustion and go into the exam the next day hoping it all comes back to you... worked for me throughout yr 11

jasonn

HSC
but seriously, every1 has their own methods of memorising... i basically read over my essay over and over again and try to recite it in my head..

but since you're having trouble to do that, i advise you to read over a paragraph over and over again and practice writing it down by memory afterwards... continue this for your whole essay and you should be fine

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you can memorise an essay, do it. If you can't, don't.

Different things work for different people. Who knows, you may receive better marks learning key points and techniques, as opposed to memorising.

forward

HSC
So my half-yearlies are coming up soon and for English I've got to do Paper 1 + module A in one sitting. So far I've pretty much relied on memorising essays because I've only really had to write 1 essay per sitting and that's alright.

Anyway so what do you pro English kids do to prepare for the exams? I'm probably just gonna try and learn really well:

Adaptable thesis
Topic sentences/ideas
Quotes
Techniques

And probably just bullshit the rest on the spot.. Overall I'm pretty shit and English so it won't have good flow or whatever but cbf'd wasting more time than necessary preparing for it.

cloud watcher

HSC
i write it a billion dozen times and also funny thing i found that if i record my self saying it and listen to it when im going to sleep it helps too :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)