Memorising Speeches (1 Viewer)

smurkie

HSC
I have this speech coming up on Inner Journeys. I'm having huge trouble memorising it. We're only allowed like 18 words per palm card and like 6 palm cards. Does anybody have a suggestion?

smurkie

HSC
No, I meant it's a long speech (about 1 1/2 pages) but we're only allowed that many words per palm card we have so we cannot really 'read' off our cards. my speech is about 3 minutes, leaving me only 10 seconds of stuff up time so i really need to have this speech memorised

-pari-

HSC
N/A
try to avoid "memorising" coz it'll sound "read" anyway then.

what they're trying to encourage you to do is memorise the order of your points and the basic sentence structure...the points should trigger your memory so you can make the rest up.

no need to memorise word for word....
it makes things harder.

try rereading your speech, and presenting it over and over again. :)
both with a fully typed copy and later with just the points.

hth

Season

HSC
You half memorise it, sit down with your speech and read each sentence to yourself, then look in the mirror and repeat each sentence back. When you're first learning it you take time to read those sentences before speaking them but eventually you can just glance at the first word in the sentence and remember the rest of the sentence, works like a charm.

If all else fails, get a powerpoint and put your notes down the bottom so you can read them.

The semi memorise thing though doesn't take very long, like 3 run throughs and you get it, then on the palm card you can just write down the start of each sentence.

meg_1_2_3_4_5

HSC
Just write the first word of each sentence on your palm cards. You should know it well enough to finish the rest of the sentence.

HSC
Try memorising it paragraph by paragraph instead of trying to memorise the whole thing.

smurkie

HSC
cool, thanks guys. I'll keep that advice in mind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)