Merging Subjects (1 Viewer)

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
I'm doing both ext history and ext2 english, so I thought it would make life considerably easier for me if I kind of merged the two subjects so that the MWs were related. this would cut down the amount of research I would have to do, and things I learn for history would add to my ext2 short story.

I'm very interested in the way the mind works, the way people think, and mental illnesses (someone close to me suffers from schizophrenia). I'm also interested in anything anti-America :p I have toyed with the idea of creating my english MW with HTML, as I am an uber geek, and enjoy working with HTML. the flexability HTML offers would compliment a post-modern style if I decided to write in that way (if I don't, I won't use HTML).

alas I disgress, anyone have any ideas for me at all?

aud

HSC
"The Major Work must not duplicate the same content or form of work done by others or a Major Work submitted in other HSC subjects

Projects developed for assessment in one subject are not to be used either in full or in part of assessment in any other subject.

Students should avoid cross over with other subject area projects. Students could list, in their Major Work Journal, any other major works they are working on for their HSC, and detail the form, content and medium in which they are working.
However, remember that form does not mean medium. Therefore a student could submit two websites or two analytical essays, each for a different subject. There must be significant differences in terms of content and form.
The school principal and the teacher(s) involved in monitoring the Major Work, could set in place appropriate processes whereby teachers of a student submitting a Major Work in more than one subject are aware of the content, form and medium of each Major Work"

Just some quotes pulled out of various sources... hope it clears some stuff up

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
so, it is illegal to write a story about America in the 1980's for ext2 if I wrote about something to do with America in the 1980's for ext history?

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i think i read, in the markers notes for 2003 A-Range short stories, that "candidates" wrote stuff that was relevant to other subjects. i could be wrong though. someone'll have to check because i feel rather lazy today.

HSC
N/A
I really really wouldn't.

If you're not willing to put in the work, you shouldn't do it. In the past if works are too similar then you can get into trouble - big trouble! To be safe, don't cross over at all. The more different your works are, the better. It's not going to be THAT hard.

Your schitzophrenia/mental idea sounds like a good one that you can explore further. Why not do that for EE2? You're already passionate about it - that's the first step.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
DON'T.

i personally don't think its worth it, because the stakes are just far far too high if you get caught. Having said that, its ok if the major works overlap slightly, but i wouldn't go too far.

They like you to draw on knowledge from other courses, but not necessarily to copy both. Here is the excerpt from the marking notes that fuckfoot was referring to:

"A Range
A-range short stories were highly original as these candidates were prepared to take some risks with traditional forms or use those forms to produce works of flair and skill. Candidates developed works which emerged from the concepts or elements of a prescribed, well-known or canonical text. Candidates in this range drew from their understanding and experiences of the contemporary world and other courses (eg art) to develop short story compositions that were highly effective. This knowledge gave students the inspiration to craft a range of possibilities for the concepts and forms that were presented. These candidates demonstrated a sophisticated control of their material; a clearly articulated and sustained focus, an understanding of the language of the medium, a conscious shaping of meaning to engage an audience and the ability to reflect intelligently, honestly and perceptively on the process."

Plenty of people before you have done Extension English and History and have survived. You'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)