MGMT 1001 assignment one...anyone else feel confused? (1 Viewer)

Question2

HSC
N/A
We are supposed to discuss, with evidence from the readings, whether henri fayol's functions of management are still relevant in today's predominantly service economy...

But none of the readings seem to even mention the service economy. So how can we use them as evidence?

Henri fayol - practioner and thereotician basically compares fayol to other management theorists.

revisting fayol gives a description of fayol's background.

what is management...seems to talk about four perspectives on what management is. I can't see how this is relevant to fayol's functions or the service economy.

why do managers do what they do seems to talk about a lack of evidence on management theories. Again, i don't see how this is relevant to the topic.

Question2

HSC
N/A
But we cant use wikipedia as a source...and we need to reference the articles to back up what we say.

HSC
Uni Grad
But we cant use wikipedia as a source...and we need to reference the articles to back up what we say.
Use the sources provided on wikipedia to back up your evidence. I reckon that would be a shit load better. I know this because yesterday I saw a friend of mine doing the MGMT1001 assignment and was doing exactly that.

Question2

HSC
N/A
Uh, you might want to remind your friend that the sources must be from the electronic database, and not the internet...

stevey6404

HSC
You might want to, yes, read wikipedia, get some main points about foyal's functions of management, and use those main points to further your understanding by googling them.
Yes, you can only use those academic readings as references but who said you can't go out and explore Foyal's functions further so you can get an idea as to what to talk about.
You're meant to use the source to SUPPORT your argument, not use them as your argument - if you get what I mean.
(I did MGMT1001 last semester and it's what my tutor told us - especially the wiki part no jokes)

HSC
Uni Grad
Uh, you might want to remind your friend that the sources must be from the electronic database, and not the internet...
You might want to, yes, read wikipedia, get some main points about foyal's functions of management, and use those main points to further your understanding by googling them.
Yes, you can only use those academic readings as references but who said you can't go out and explore Foyal's functions further so you can get an idea as to what to talk about.
You're meant to use the source to SUPPORT your argument, not use them as your argument - if you get what I mean.
(I did MGMT1001 last semester and it's what my tutor told us - especially the wiki part no jokes)
Okay, so if that is true, then seriously, what the fuck :/

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
a lot of those sources on wikipedia are actually on the UNSW sirius thingo

also the trick with the management assignment is to make up your own theories and stuff and try and look for journal articles that are somehow relevant to that theory

it takes about 10 times less time

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
a lot of those sources on wikipedia are actually on the UNSW sirius thingo

also the trick with the management assignment is to make up your own theories and stuff and try and look for journal articles that are somehow relevant to that theory

it takes about 10 times less time
We can't just do that (well, not easily anyway), because we can only choose journal articles from specific databases. I don't mean Sirius, I mean databases like API Inform and Web of Science.

But the other tip (make up your own theories, find journal articles that are somewhat relevant to your theories) is good. I'm doing the same thing with my essay.

...I'm not expecting to get high marks on this, haha.

Question2

HSC
N/A
The problem is i cant find any sources that talk about fayol's functions and the service economy.

Without those sources, i can't use anything to back my arguments up, to say things like "These functions are still relevant because [citation]".

I can easily find sources that talk about Fayol's functions, but so far have found nothing that argues whether they are relevant today.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
The problem is i cant find any sources that talk about fayol's functions and the service economy.

Without those sources, i can't use anything to back my arguments up, to say things like "These functions are still relevant because [citation]".

I can easily find sources that talk about Fayol's functions, but so far have found nothing that argues whether they are relevant today.
I had the same problem. The way to fix it is by getting creative and assuming lots of things based on little blurbs that the researches said.

For example, I have an article that compares Fayol's 14 principles of management to today's contemporary, service-dominated economy. Because the researcher wrote that Fayol's principles govern his 4 functions of management, I can conclude that some of Fayol's functions are, to a great extent, still relevant, while other functions aren't, because of blah, blah, blah.

No, seriously. That's one of my arguments. It's all about getting creative, even if the article doesn't specifically focus on Fayol's 4 functions of management.

You just got to make do with what limited resources you have.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
We can't just do that (well, not easily anyway), because we can only choose journal articles from specific databases. I don't mean Sirius, I mean databases like API Inform and Web of Science.

But the other tip (make up your own theories, find journal articles that are somewhat relevant to your theories) is good. I'm doing the same thing with my essay.

...I'm not expecting to get high marks on this, haha.
You log on to Sirius to get to the databases.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
You log on to Sirius to get to the databases.
I know.

What I mean is that not all of the articles can be found in those specific databases. So you'll go through Wikipedia, find an article, find the journal that it's in, search the journal up using Sirius, but you might find out that though the journal (and hence the article) is on Sirius, it can't be found in the three databases that we're supposed to use, so you can't use that article.

Urgh, it's difficult for me to explain because when I explain, it doesn't make sense. =/

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
prepare to be destroyed by ultimate wam killer
I don't think I'll get destroyed. Almost done with the essay (due tomorrow for me), and it's actually going pretty well. Just fixing it up right now, adding in the in-text citations, that sort of thing.

Edit: DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE. Yes. I. Am. Done. 1099 words, so close to the max (1100), but just made it. I have exactly 6 references too. 3 from the recommended reference list, 3 from online databases.

Last edited:

smik11

HSC
I don't think I'll get destroyed. Almost done with the essay (due tomorrow for me), and it's actually going pretty well. Just fixing it up right now, adding in the in-text citations, that sort of thing.

Edit: DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE. Yes. I. Am. Done. 1099 words, so close to the max (1100), but just made it. I have exactly 6 references too. 3 from the recommended reference list, 3 from online databases.
Ummm.. you were only allowed to choose 2 other ones, not 3.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Ummm.. you were only allowed to choose 2 other ones, not 3.
Oh, you're right. It never specified that you could only choose a maximum of 2 other references, but just in case, I fixed my essay. Nothing really changed, haha. Re-uploading to Turn-It-In, thanks!

Question2

HSC
N/A
Did anyone manage to find any useful sources that talk about the service economy at all? All the ones i found were completely unrelated to fayol...

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Its much easier to take a broader approach, use articles you find to support/contend the nature of a service economy. [Unlikely to find such a source] because if you think about it, if someone wrote an article on fayol and service economy, and its the question asked then it doesn't really promote analysis.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I would have defined the Fayols approach and the Modern approach, then looked for points of similarity and contrast. The amount of similarity/difference tells you how relevant the theory still is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)