MHistory vs LegalS vs Geography (1 Viewer)

Resource

HSC
Hey guys.

Well for subject selections I'm thinking of doing:

English Advanced
Maths Ext 1
Chemistry
Italian Continuers
Biology

Anyway, originally I was planning on doing Eng Ext 1 but I recently discovered that our school most likely won't allow us to do both Eng and Maths Ext 1. So I need to pick another subject. I have narrowed it down to Modern History, Legal Studies or Geography (I would also consider Economics). I want to pick a subject that would involve writing to improve my English skills. I am interested in all areas however I can't decide on which to pick. If anyone has any thoughts on what to do it'd be great to hear from you. (Note: At this stage I'd like to do: English Advanced, Maths Ext 2, Chemistry and Italian Continuers in Yr 12.)

deloving

HSC
You have to decide for yourself, what you find more interesting and where you will succeed. But generally Modern History would be the better choice out of the three, followed by Legal Studies and Geography. Both in terms of scaling and interest-factor. Not just my opinion, but one that's shared by the general student population from what I can see. Economics is also the highest scaling but also the hardest subject. Modern History and Legal Studies both involve more writing than Economic and Geography. If it comes down to which would help you the most with English and critical thinking skills then I would have to say Modern is the way to go.

(no modern is best subject in the world bias from me)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I would go with 'Modern History' out of the three as it appears to be the more interesting course, and would probably further your English writing ability . I'd personally say ; 1) Modern 2)Geography 3)Legal

Resource

HSC
Hmm... I suppose the general consensus is that I should go for modern.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I did both 3U Maths and 3U English in Y11 :/

I did (and currently doing) both Modern and Geography. They require slightly different approaches in essay writing and they are both interesting in their own way. I personally think the Y 12 course is better than Y11's (in both courses). But it's up to you. Have a look at what will be taught in the syllabus (and ask your future teachers what they will be teaching) and go from there.

Makematics

HSC
agreed with dancinganz! geo is a great course! in the hsc, there are two essays that you are required to write, making up 40 marks out of the 100 total, so you will definitely improve your essay-writing. the same is true for the other subjects too i guess. i would go for geo if i were you because a lot of geo overlaps with chem and bio (the turbidity stuff in yr 11 geo is the same as hsc chemical monotoring and management, and a lot of prelim bio is useful for ecosystems at risk in the hsc geo course)
Source: i currently do chem and geo, and used to do bio (dropped it last term)

Resource

HSC
So is Geography interesting? And what kind of areas do you look at in Geography?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)