Michelle Leslie (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

hahaha yeah i just read that, you beat me.

i cannot fathom it, what a strange law. if you're a user, or addicted to the drug you face 3 months, if you merely traffic the drug it's anywhere from 3 months to life, even death. the problem with corby is she has vehemently denied ever using marijuana, where as toxicology reports have shown that leslie had the drugs in her system.

Model Leslie could be free in a month: report
Friday Oct 14 07:00 AEST

Australian model Michelle Leslie could reportedly be freed in a month if her lawyer's claim she is addicted to prescription medicine, not ecstasy, is accepted by the Indonesian court.

Leslie, 24, was arrested in August when Bali police allegedly found two ecstasy pills in her handbag during a sweep at a Bali party.
She was charged with possession of ecstasy and faces a maximum 15-year sentence if convicted.

However, Leslie's lawyers have submitted a Sydney doctor's report to prosecutors stating she is addicted to prescription medicine and has undergone treatment for her addiction, The Age reported this morning.

If Leslie was found to be an addicted drug user she would face a different charge which carried a maximum sentence of three months, The Age said.

"If this person is by law a user, the maximum term is three months. It's the law, I did not write it," chief prosecutor Suhadi was quoted as saying.

The Age said it was believed an Indonesian man picked up at the same party as Leslie had already been tried as a user and released.

Leslie donned a white headscarf and led media in a chase across Denpasar as she was moved from a squalid police cell to Bali's notorious Kerobokan Jail yesterday.

The former underwear model said nothing and was impassive as she was hustled into a police vehicle with bars on the windows.

She was chased by carloads of media, who at times jumped out of vehicles at traffic lights in Denpasar to snap her picture, on the way to her first stop — the island's prosecutor's office.

After arriving there accompanied by three lawyers, Leslie faced questioning by prosecutors, watched by a media scrum.

"There are 50 million cameras in her face," family spokesman Sean Mulcahy said at the prosecutors' office.

She was later taken to Kerobokan jail, where conditions are expected to be better than in the small, squalid and dark police holding cells where she has spent the past two months.

The move to Kerobokan is also another step towards her prosecution.

Prosecutor Suhadi said Leslie faces up to 15 years jail if convicted on charges for possession and use of illegal psychotropic drugs.

"The police have finished. Now it is in our hands," he told AAP.

Leslie's urine tests after her arrest proved positive for ecstasy use, police said.

In August, Leslie appeared in an Islamic cover-all burqa and said she had converted to Islam a year before her arrest.

The black burqa attracted accusations that Leslie was attempting to win sympathy from Bali's mostly Muslim judges.

But on Thursday Leslie left her face visible until she climbed into the police van, when she pulled the scarf across her face.

Leslie was stunned by the attention of reporters, telling others in the vehicle that "reporters are really crazy", one of her legal team aides told AAP.

She carried a batik-motif suitcase and two pillows.

The Adelaide-born model last week said she was struggling to cope with the stress of imprisonment.

Leslie said nobody in the world would want to be in her position.

Suhadi said her trial could begin next month.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
beccaxx said:
this girl had extacy in her system... yet they say that drug users get a shorter sentence.

why doesnt corby just plead that shes addicted to pot then? anythin to get u out sooner i say!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=60406
Shapelle corby had a sub-stantial amount of marijuana and they consider her as being a drug trafficer. In leslies case she had a small amount of ecey's and it can be considered as a small amount and for personal use and not for drug trafficing/trading thus she gets a shorter sentance because her small amount of drugs were considered as personal drug usage and the indonesian court gives more leniancy to drug users because many are addicted.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
schappelle was going for like, a week.
she needed that much if she was seriously addicted.

dude I AM BEING SARCASTIC. i think the total rule is retarded

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
The laws make perfect sense.

If you are simply a user, you are typically not harming anyone but yourself. If you are trading drugs, you are spreading something that the community believes is harmful, in society. That is why traffickers get a much harsher sentence.

It is the same as Australia. If you are caught using, the penalty is insignificant compared to the extremely harsh penalties for importing drugs.

In the case of Corby, as mentioned she had enough that she was deemed to be trafficking. Furthermore, you can't use addiction as a mitigating factor in sentencing if you don't have medical evidence. Corby obviously did not have any such evidence (because she was not addicted). Leslie apparently does, as the article states.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)