Michelson-morley (1 Viewer)

Jaymee

HSC
i'm having a little trouble with this syllabus question, not sure wat it is i'm meant to write:

gather and process information to interpret the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment

my textbook isnt alot of help and neither is my teacher. To me it sounds similar to describe and evaluate the Michelson-Morley attempt....etc, cause what i wrote for the 'evaluate' part seems similar to what i think shuld be in the answer. I dont kno if that makes sense, but i'm lost myself.

If u'v got an answer for it or any info to help me it'd be great.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i believe u juz need to able to describe wat they did, wat they tried to find, and wat was the outcome.

according to the NSW hsc online website:

perform an investigation and gather first-hand or secondary data to model the Michelson-Morley experiment

Perform the investigation that may be planned by your teacher, by carrying out the procedures efficiently and safely.
Any model of the Michelson-Morley experiment will need to compare the speeds of two identical moving objects by racing them. One of the objects is to move back and forth along a current or wind, and the other is to move back and forth across the current or wind. Suitable objects might be model sailing boats or cars, or perhaps model motorboats racing on a creek. When a comparison of this sort is done properly, the gathered data should show that the object that moves across the current always wins the race.
Michelson and Morley performed a similar comparison between two light rays. They were trying to detect the presence of an aether wind that should exist according to the aether model. However, they found that the light rays always finished their race together, with no clear winner, so that they had failed to find the aether wind. This is described as a null result.
The Michelson-Morley experiment , a web page of the Department of Physics, University of Virginia, that describes the Michelson-Morley experiment in some detail.

describe and evaluate the Michelson-Morley attempt to measure the relative velocity of the Earth through the aether

The Michelson-Morley experiment was devised to detect the aether using light and an effect called interference.
As the Earth was supposed to be moving through a stationary aether, there should have been an apparent aether wind. The speed of light was supposed to be constant in the aether, so this aether wind should slow down light heading into it, as seen by us. The Michelson-Morley experiment compared the speed of such a light ray with another light ray directed across the aether wind. The two rays were compared using an interferometer, a device that displays interference effects. No significant difference was found between the two light rays.
The experiment was of sufficient sensitivity according to the aether model, yet failed to detect any presence of the aether. No matter who did the experiment, where it was done or when it was done, no one was able to physically demonstrate the interference effect that would prove the existance of the aether.

discuss the role of the Michelson-Morley experiments in making determinations about competing theories

From theory come predictions that can be tested. Experiments are performed to test the predictions, and from the results of the experiments, judgements can be made regarding the validity of the theory. The Michelson-Morley experiments were performed to test the prediction, based on the aether model, that an aether wind should exist.
The Michelson-Morley experiments were performed in 1887 and had null results, despite satisfying all requirements regarding sensitivity. This did not, however, disprove the theory.
Various modifications of the aether theory were offered over the following years. Each modified theory resulted in new predictions to be tested. Each test failed.
Almost twenty years after the Michelson-Morley experiments, Einstein proposed the theory of relativity, in which the aether model was not needed. The theory of relativity produced its own set of predictions, not all of which were testable at that time. As technology has improved, the predictions have been tested and found to be correct.
The choice for scientists was as follows: continue to follow a theory for which no predictions proved true (aether) OR follow an alternative theory for which prediction do prove true (relativity).

or for furthur info: http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109N/lectures/michelson.html

webby234

HSC
N/A
We did this from our text book - boat against + with the current vs boat across the current. This relates to the Michelson-Morley experiment in that they attempted to measure the speed of light with and against the aether and compare it to the speed across the aether.

hsc.csu.edu.au is a great website which goes over every syllabus dot point in Physics. I used it extensively when studying for trials + HSC. Was that where you got the information from mitsui?

frangipane

HSC
Re: Michelson-morley Help

Ppl, i cant grasp the concept of the "rotation by 90degs".

My sources say that the interference pattern between the 2 beams should have changed, but i reckon they should stay the same anyway, because all thats happening is the beams are merely switching positions - so the one that is going "upstream-downstream" (c+v, c-v) is now going "side to side" (Ö(c^2-v^2)) and vice versa. Why should anything change???

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Re: Michelson-morley Help

The rotation through 90 degrees swaps the light rays over, so that the one that previously went "across" the aether (let's call it light ray A) is now passing "against" the aether, and vice versa for light ray B. Then, if the aether exists, light ray A should finish the course in a slower time than before, and light ray B in a faster time, and hence the interference pattern will change (since light ray A finished first before the 90 degree shift).

I_F

frangipane

HSC
I understand that, but whats getting me is that if Ray A finished faster than Ray B before the 90deg shift, then after the shift, ray B will finish faster than ray A by the same margain. So doesn't that mean that the interference pattern will be the same?? Is there something that i'm missing? :confused: This is so frustrating...

zeropoint

HSC
frangipane said:
I understand that, but whats getting me is that if Ray A finished faster than Ray B before the 90deg shift, then after the shift, ray B will finish faster than ray A by the same margain. So doesn't that mean that the interference pattern will be the same?? Is there something that i'm missing? :confused: This is so frustrating...
In the actual experiment, the interference pattern was observed as the apparatus was rotated, not just at 0 and 90 deg.

If the light paths in the parallel/perpendicular directions were exactly the same length, then there would be no shift after rotation by 90 deg as you said. In reality the path lengths differed by more than the wavelength of light, so a shift would still be observed after rotation by 90 deg. Even with identical path lengths, however, the fringes would be observed to shift as the apparatus was rotated.

Hope this helps.

James

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
mmmmmm this might help clear things up:

the point of rotating it around 90 degrees is so to observe if there was any CHANGE in the interference pattern. when the light beams where initially projected, there already is an interference pattern that emerges from the detector. M & M wanted to show that this interference pattern would change as the apparatus is rotated, since both light rays wouldnt be either parallel or perpendicular to the direction of the 'aether wind' --> therefore light rays would reach the detector at different times, rendering a DIFFERENT interference pattern.

sadly, there wasnt any change in the inteference pattern as the whole apparatus was rotated.

zeropoint

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
mmmmmm this might help clear things up:

the point of rotating it around 90 degrees is so to observe if there was any CHANGE in the interference pattern. when the light beams where initially projected, there already is an interference pattern that emerges from the detector. M & M wanted to show that this interference pattern would change as the apparatus is rotated, since both light rays wouldnt be either parallel or perpendicular to the direction of the 'aether wind' --> therefore light rays would reach the detector at different times, rendering a DIFFERENT interference pattern.

sadly, there wasnt any change in the inteference pattern as the whole apparatus was rotated.
Yes, but if the light paths are equal we shouldn't observe any difference between 0 and 90 deg. I believe this was the point of frangipane's question.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH im confused as well LOL

my statement would be: as the apparatus is rotated, the strength of of the aether wind, (same to the strength of the current of the river) each light wave experiences will differ from the usual parallel and perpendicular positions. SO, the light waves will take a different time to travel the whole circuit, and im sure that the difference in the light waves' travel times will be different as well.

zeropoint

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH im confused as well LOL

my statement would be: as the apparatus is rotated, the strength of of the aether wind, (same to the strength of the current of the river) each light wave experiences will differ from the usual parallel and perpendicular positions. SO, the light waves will take a different time to travel the whole circuit, and im sure that the difference in the light waves' travel times will be different as well.
Frangipane's not talking about the interference pattern observed at intermediate angles, just before and after rotation by 90 deg with respect to the hypothetical aether wind. In which case, there will be no shift if the path lengths of both arms are identical.

It's obvious really, if the apparatus is perfectly symmetrical with respect to rotation by 90 deg, then there will be no change in its operation if it is rotated by 90 deg with respect to the aether wind.

Hope this helps.

James

Last edited:

frangipane

HSC
zeropoint said:
In the actual experiment, the interference pattern was observed as the apparatus was rotated, not just at 0 and 90 deg.

If the light paths in the parallel/perpendicular directions were exactly the same length, then there would be no shift after rotation by 90 deg as you said. In reality the path lengths differed by more than the wavelength of light, so a shift would still be observed after rotation by 90 deg. Even with identical path lengths, however, the fringes would be observed to shift as the apparatus was rotated.

Hope this helps.

James
THANK YOU James and Mountain.Dew!!!! That clears things up a lot. I'm at peace with relativity now...:)
Mountain Dew, i'm so sorry if I confused you too at some stage!!!LOL I think the defining element is that the paths lengths differ ((INGENIOUS!))

Thanks again guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)