MINOANS are BORRRRING (1 Viewer)

kimmy5

is it just me or it is really tedious sifting through all of the notes.
it is soooooo boring
oh and if ppl can help.....

so much of the minoans is guesswork.... half of the information in textbooks and stuff are statements and there is no evidence to refer to. so in an essay... i can't just say "the minoans did this... liked this.... etc etc etc"

i'm probably really confusing you all but i'm so screwed because i cannot understand where all the information is coming from... there are few sources in textbooks

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by kimmy5
so much of the minoans is guesswork.... half of the information in textbooks and stuff are statements and there is no evidence to refer to. so in an essay... i can't just say "the minoans did this... liked this.... etc etc etc"

thats exactly what i HATE most about minoans. god. i really really hate it. and the textbook we use is fucking shit too. its too simple

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
thats exactly what i HATE most about minoans. god. i really really hate it. and the textbook we use is fucking shit too. its too simple
Do you have to use 'The Minoans', by that Gae Callender character too? If so, I concur about the textbook being too simple. It's been quite difficult finding historiography for this topic, as I've only managed to find statements about the question of matriarchy, religion, and one or two about the economy.

Annoyingly, the parts of the Minoans I find interesting, we haven't covered in class, so I've had to learn about it independently, like aesthetic trade with Egypt and whatnot. (That Tell-el-Daba, interesting stuff.)

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
The Minoan textbooks should have more on human sacrifice. It's the only part of the topic worth knowing about.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
well......their is acually only one or two evidence of human sarcrifice, so there isn't that much to talk about........

I repeat: Gae Callender sucks. She is a certified dipshit, and her textbooks treat the readers as if they are idiots. (The Old Kingdom Egypt one and Minoan/Mycenae books were written specifically for the HSC syllabus, yet she fails to acknowledge that we posess brains)

HATE HATE HATE

However, Minoans is easy in the exam, cause you can't really get anything wrong. Not easily anyway. Just bullshit you way through it!

kimmy5

THANK GOD!!!!
there i was thinking i was the only person who COULDN't grasp the minoans.

oh and sugar, i agree, the minaons are too simple. that's what makes the topic so FUCKING boring.

gae callender is a moron.

sugared plum

HSC
Originally posted by FunkmistrssDina
I repeat: Gae Callender sucks. She is a certified dipshit, and her textbooks treat the readers as if they are idiots.
Gae Callender marks the HSC...

Chelle

Naaa
she doesnt just mark the hsc shes one of the people who make up the questions!!!!!

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
I completely agree with FunkmistrssDina, Gae Callender is a 'certified dipshit' :). Was anyone else at that painful seminar with her talking in the city? That was terrible.

Besides that, the Minoans have to be the most boring people ever to have existed. I made up a theory about them moving to the moon to make it more interesting and it turned into a several-lesson-long argument between myself and my teacher :p

But the Minoans suck!!!

Last edited:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Belle
Besides that, the Minoans have to be the most boring people ever to have existed. I made up a theory about them moving to the moon to make it more interesting and it turned into a several-lesson-long argument between myself and my teacher :p
Care to expound upon your 'theory' and the ensuing argument? Sounds interesting, more interesting than the Minoans at least. ;)

As for Gae, 'The Minoans' is even worse (Written in quite the patronising manner..Like the 'tour' of Knossos.. Ugh.). Annoyingly, it's the one we've had to use in class.

Last edited:
Originally posted by sugared plum
Gae Callender marks the HSC...

Don't tell her I said that then :p

I think we should all learn more about this minoans on the moon theory, and write about it in the exam. If enough people do it, then they'll have to re-think their marking scheme!

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
We should all blame Mr archaeological moron EVANS for digging the damn place up.. World War 2 should have done a better job at blowing the place to smitherens. Nahh kidding...

You guys in Sydney got to go to a Ge Calander seminar hey? Is a lecture on the Minoans worse than a term of sheet work on it?

malayz_angel

I went to Gae Callender's lecture...lol my skool was the one sitting at the back struggling to open the door...we finally managed to open it and sneak out when there was only about ten minutes left to go. We didn't even know who she was at the time, it was only later when we were telling our teacher how we had snuck out of the Minoans lecture that she said "Did u noe she's the one who wrote your textbook?" Oops...

revoltism

well, if u went to the lecture you would know the first thing she siad is to write "we dont know much about the minaons due to the lack of any written evidence.. etc blah blah" so dont worry about evidence, if u write that line u get marks.
Minoans arent boring. u know why? coz they are the easiest thing to write about.. u know why? cause no one can really prove anything
u can wrieta a whole lot oa bullshit, like i do, back it up with archealogical evidence that doesnt exist.. make it sound plausable
and there u ahve it.. good marks for making shit up
just dont go too extreme and write about moonlandings lol
its pretty easy, when u look at it, the just did some art and some religious shit,they all died. and these losers dug em up n made up theories.. something we all can do right?
:)

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Hey malayz_angel, I actually think I remember you guys :) were you the ones making all the noise up the back? coz I got SOOO distracted from the useful information Miss Callender was sprouting :p

Gregor, in case you're interested... I told my ancient teacher that the Minoans invented rockets and computers years before us and they moved to the moon, hence their disappearance around Mycenaean times. He told me I was wrong (of course, students are never right), and I told him to prove me wrong. I basically said I would believe him if he showed me an inscription somewhere saying that they DIDN'T go to the moon. I said that all the evidence would have deteriorated over time, leaving only the pottery and crap that we found today, none of the microchips that they invented would have survived. He was pissed that he couldn't prove me decisively wrong, and I used this to back up my other theory that all ancient history is crap because it is so subjective (which didn't go down too well) I still say that the Minoans are up there on the moon laughing at us coz we think we are so advanced :D

Had the rest of the class in hysterics, quite a fun lesson actually :)

Last edited:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Belle
Hey malayz_angel, I actually think I remember you guys :) were you the ones making all the noise up the back? coz I got SOOO distracted from the useful information Miss Callender was sprouting :p

Gregor, in case you're interested... I told my ancient teacher that the Minoans invented rockets and computers years before us and they moved to the moon, hence their disappearance around Mycenaean times. He told me I was wrong (of course, students are never right), and I told him to prove me wrong. I basically said I would believe him if he showed me an inscription somewhere saying that they DIDN'T go to the moon. I said that all the evidence would have deteriorated over time, leaving only the pottery and crap that we found today, none of the microchips that they invented would have survived. He was pissed that he couldn't prove me decisively wrong, and I used this to back up my other theory that all ancient history is crap because it is so subjective (which didn't go down too well) I still say that the Minoans are up there on the moon laughing at us coz we think we are so advanced :D

Had the rest of the class in hysterics, quite a fun lesson actually :)
:D

Ah, it's all beginning to make sense. So perhaps the 'Admiral Fresco' is a metaphoric representation of a Minoan astronaut? Come to think of it, maybe the 'ocean' is another metaphor, one for space, with the accounts of the voyage written in Linear A, hence it's being unknown to most. You see, the depiction of the chariot on the Ayia Triadha sarcophagus, that's their other means of interstellar travel. The reason their moon colony is undiscovered (hypothetically) is that concious of environmental concerns, their lunar palatial structures are efficient and located in inaccessible locations.. This is fun to go on about. I like your style.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)