Minoans as a Thalassocracy?? (1 Viewer)

bind

The materials used for ships included oak, cypress, cedar and fir. The ships were constructed by skilful shipwrights. Seals carried by sailors preserve a design of these ships. The ships were high in the prow and low in the stern, with rounded hulls. The Minoans were the leading sea-traders, and Crete became a thalassocracy according to Thucydides. The Minoans had links with the main trading centres of the Cyclades and the coast of Asia Minor, mainland Greece and Egypt were within reach, and to the East, Cyprus and Syria. The Minoans established trading settlements on Rhodes and Kythera.
The seas around Crete were ‘controlled’ by the merchant fleet which could double as a navy against pirates. Depots, called minoa, have been located along the Aegean coast.

weee thats from my notes. so yes. apparently Thucydides said they had a thalassocracy. tra la la minoans are my fave topic in ancient. weee too bad i know nothing about The Greek World 500-440 BC. weeee at least im in a happy mood. hope that stuff helped.

Gummy_bear

HSC
Although they were traders, some frescoes and other sources seem to point to a thalassocracy society, but there isnt enough evidence to support this.
It seems more likely that they were just traders due to the city of Gourlin (dnt thnk thats the name..) which is purely trade city evident through the various machines and stuf that has been found such as potters wheels, vats for dying and other stuff like that.

It was a person named thysical (not sure on that name either) that thought they were a thalassocracy society, but his assumption is based more on myth, particually the monitor myth from which he believes also points to a male ruler.

The minoans were definately more likely a trade society as there is little evidence to support the thalassocracy theory.

Hope that helps.

bind

im not being a pooey-bum head or anything, but i thought its just fix up the words you weren't sure of gummy bear. dont hate me, im not being a buttface, i just love the minoans. weeeeee

so tra la la...

lovely gummy bear person said: It seems more likely that they were just traders due to the city of Gourlin (dnt thnk thats the name..)*GOURNIA* which is purely trade city evident through the various machines and stuf that has been found such as potters wheels, vats for dying and other stuff like that.

It was a person named thysical *THUCYDIDES*(not sure on that name either) that thought they were a thalassocracy society, but his assumption is based more on myth, particually the monitor *MINOTAUR*myth from which he believes also points to a male ruler.

yes. well my correcty-thingames are in *things*. yay.

haha good luck HSCool people.

Gummy_bear

HSC
bind said:
im not being a pooey-bum head or anything, but i thought its just fix up the words you weren't sure of <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=gummy%20bear" onmouseover="window.status='gummy bear'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">gummy bear</a>. dont hate me, im not being a buttface, i just love the minoans. weeeeee

so tra la la...

lovely gummy bear person said: It seems more likely that they were just traders due to the city of Gourlin (dnt thnk thats the name..)*GOURNIA* which is purely trade city evident through the various machines and stuf that has been found such as potters wheels, vats for dying and other stuff like that.

It was a person named thysical *THUCYDIDES*(not sure on that name either) that thought they were a thalassocracy society, but his assumption is based more on myth, particually the monitor *MINOTAUR*myth from which he believes also points to a male ruler.

yes. well my correcty-thingames are in *things*. yay.

haha good luck HSCool people.
I dont hate you. its a good thing you corrected me or else the poor person would be writing what i did on the exam. hehe

bind

haha woo yeah thats what i was thinking

*cuddles* for you gummy bear.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
yes there was a person by the name of thucydides, but i doubt any relation to it. well a Thalassocracy existed as this was because crete is surrounded by water. therefore this became both a natural defence and also seperated them from the rest of the ancient world. therefore they developed by themselves. this is a reason for their advanced knowledge at the time and also in terms of their building skills.

this lead to importing and exporting. and also their strong skills in ship building and warring. however, the ancient minoans had almost no need for war as i state before that the water seperating them from the anicent world served as a natural barrier defence from invading countries.

lachlanwizard

HSC
Being an industrious civilisation in a highly advantageous area surrounded by warlike Myceneans, I have no doubt that it would be the most logical action to develop a powerful navy, colonise the surrounding area and protect a very important stranglehold on trade in the Aegean.

Several different sources suggest this claim to be correct. Burial sites such as Grave Circle A (Mycenean site, but weapons of undoubtedly Minoan craftsmanship, suggestive of trade) frescoes, such as the captian leading his men fresco suggesting warlike use of troops (The nubians could be taken for slaves, but they are most likely mercenaries, which they had a reputation for) and several on island burials which suggest warrior status being highly respected such as the man buried with horse and weapons (try rearing horses on crete, far too small). Saying that Minoan Crete was safe from invasion due to water is a foolish thing to say, mostly because the Mycenean greeks took over after invading in 1420, and after landing they would have made short work of the undefended towns and water supplies. It was most prudent to have a strong naval presence, which would stop any invader from ever invading the rich trade magnate, which would have been a tempting target for more powerful civilisations.

Also, classical works by Thucydides claim that " Minos had a fleet of ships that suppressed piracy" and "Minoans set up colonies around the eastern mediterraniean" (Although, to be fair, he was a Mycenean writer from a later period) and also the mention of the Minoans defeating Athens and demanding tribute in the minotaur myth (Is it not true that most myths have basis in fact?). Also supporting these claims are archaelogical evidence in the form of Typology of pots (used as storage containers for trade goods) and the ruins of several Minoan outposts such as Triadha on Rhodes. These outposts had reference to the name Minoa in their ancient names, and evidence of Minoan culture which correlates with Rodney Castledens definition of a minoan colony i.e. Coastal location, Irregular street plans, Minoan Style architecture, Minoan Burial practices, Copies of Minoan pottery(also with samples of Linear A) and refrences of Minoan religion.

Now the defintion of Thalassocracy relates to a naval empire built through naval supremacy and/or maritime trade prowess. All of these points show without a doubt that Minoa could be called a Thalassocracy.

Last edited:

steelbath

HSC
There is no evidence whatsoever that Minoan Crete was a thalocrassy, it is just a theory by Thucidetes, because he saw a bunch of ships and people trading on some Fresco's.
Remember, Thucidetes wrote hundreds of years after the actual time period that this occured, so it was just a THEORY, secondary evidence people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)