Misadventure unpleasantness (1 Viewer)

InLimbo

HSC
I wasn't really certain on where to post this, so I will just put it here. A friend of mine, I believe, misadventured most of his assessments, at least for the last half of year 12 due to reasons like stress etc, not any particular event or illness etc. Initially everybody who knew of this was generally understanding and tolerant for the first couple of times, but as the year went on, he continued to do it and people, including myself, felt that it had become unjustified and manipulative of the whole point of misadventure forms. This all boiled over in one of the last assessments, an in-class essay. Everyone knew he was desperate to get the top ranking, and when we got the marks back we saw that he was given 21/25 for a 1 and a half page essay, while I was given the same mark for a 6 page essay. The top mark overall was 22. The class was rather confused and disgusted, to be honest.

So, I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their opinions or knowledge on the topic, because it would be greatly appreciated.

michaeln36

HSC
yea-- every school has someone who trys to play the system it seems.

In my school we had this girl that did the first assesment task in each subject - and put effort in and did well -- then she just illness/misadventured every task from there on - giving her a nice ranking based off the first task - which no one else put effort into.

In short; i dont think there is anything to do, possibly complain to ur teacher - but their arms are probably twisted and cant do anything.
They might do alright, get a good UAI, but if they are a manipulative and decietful person - they will eventually fail - be it in university or in their career.

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
michaeln36 said:
yea-- every school has someone who trys to play the system it seems.

In my school we had this girl that did the first assesment task in each subject - and put effort in and did well -- then she just illness/misadventured every task from there on - giving her a nice ranking based off the first task - which no one else put effort into.

In short; i dont think there is anything to do, possibly complain to ur teacher - but their arms are probably twisted and cant do anything.
They might do alright, get a good UAI, but if they are a manipulative and decietful person - they will eventually fail - be it in university or in their career.
or so we hope so...

dave197

HSC
hi, I’m not the kind of person who likes to put appeals in or complain about things which aren’t true, but I’m starting to really freak out, 5 days until the first hsc exam starts and I have glandular fever... worst case scenario I may have to appeal these exams, what will happen? Do I sit the exam? What will they base my mark on? I really need a UAI above 65 to get into the uni course im looking at..Now my trial results weren’t great at all, but I really have made a huge effort for these exams.. coming from a guy who couldn’t sit at a desk studying for more than an hour a few months ago, so getting off my ass, away from all the distractions at home, going to the library and doing an average of 4 -5 hours personal study... you probably haven’t had glandular fever before, and I seriously wouldn’t wish it on anyone, especially at this crucial time... im starting to feel really down, thinking that my efforts are going to be wasted.. there is no way I could do anywhere near my potential feeling like I do now...swallowing razor blades is how I can best describe it:(

Last edited:

miaowsha

HSC
Well, perhaps he isn't telling you exactly what is wrong? Perhaps stress affects him more than usual people? You can't assume based on what you've told us here.
We had a girl do something similar (or so people thought), and it turned out she had really serious depression. Now although people think depression is 'nothing', they didnt realise to what extent it had gotten her and frowned upon her. There is no reason to assume anything until you have heard the full story, and if this person isnt willing to tell you, it's probably none of your business anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)