Missed cutoff for BA (Pub. comm) at UTS by1.75 ATAR pts. Any other ways to get in? (1 Viewer)

rinc

HSC
Unfortunately bonus points aren't offered for the course and i really can't be bothered transferring into it and wasting another year. is there ANY other way i could get in? Some have suggested writing to them. If so, what types of references do you guys recommend putting in? Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

samcase

HSC
Re: Missed cutoff for BA (Pub. comm) at UTS by1.75 ATAR pts. Any other ways to get in

internal transfers? enter another communications degree at uts and then transfer within the faculty. the first year subjects you study are pretty much the same across the different comm degrees.

to transfer from another degree to pub.comm @ uts would need to be done via UAC even if it's a UTS degree. e.g. from bachelor of business -> bachelor of pub.comm.
this is because the degrees are "owned" by different faculties.

source: UTS student admin emailed me with this info when I asked a similar question to them.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Missed cutoff for BA (Pub. comm) at UTS by1.75 ATAR pts. Any other ways to get in

Wait, you were serious about writing to them and asking them if they could ignore the cutoff and let you in, without bonus points/EAS? :S

rinc

HSC

internal transfers? enter another communications degree at uts and then transfer within the faculty. the first year subjects you study are pretty much the same across the different comm degrees.

to transfer from another degree to pub.comm @ uts would need to be done via UAC even if it's a UTS degree. e.g. from bachelor of business -> bachelor of pub.comm.
this is because the degrees are "owned" by different faculties.

source: UTS student admin emailed me with this info when I asked a similar question to them.
thanks! I think I were to get into something else first i'd probably do a BA in Social Inquiry and then transfer. They're both under the Social Sciences faculty so i'm not sure whether it'd still be dealt with by the UAC though. I'm probably going to do that as a last resort cause' i REALLY want to avoid the pressure/worry of having to get a distinction average as entry into pub. comm. is apparently very competitive. All for less than 2 pts :(

rinc

HSC

Wait, you were serious about writing to them and asking them if they could ignore the cutoff and let you in, without bonus points/EAS? :S
I've had friends do the same thing at USYD and get into their courses successfully despite being a couple of points below the cut off... so yes, i was being serious. I'm hoping they take into account the fact that I've taken time off to think about what I really want to do which in my opinion counts for something. Besides, I really have nothing to lose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)