Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread (1 Viewer)

Smooth Operator

HSC
Hello I really need help for my modern history essay " Evaluate the significance of Leni Riefenstahl to her period of national/international history"
Any suggestions on how to structure it as in what to talk about in each paragraph?
I think there is a set of syllabus dot points surrounding her significance..

Anyway I'd talk about her 3 main lives and how they contributed to history with main focus on her propaganda work for the NSDAP.

- Intro and position to question (don't sit on the fence).

- Body 1 - talk about her film work (pioneering) and also appearance in mountain films (big in Germany at the time).

- Body 2 - Work for NSDAP and big evaluation.

- Body 3 - Nuba and Underwater photography and her legacy.

- Conclusion.

Also you need to support your statements with historians, it is a must in the personality study I am lead to believe.

This is how I'd sort of structure it, it doesn't have to be rigid, in the end you want to get it to flow well.

beelzebub

HSC
Hia, anyone got any advice for answering an "Account for" question? I'm not sure exactly how to answer it, though I kind of get what I'm meant to be writing... like, I'm not sure what to put in my intro/essay/etc as a sentence responding directly to the question. Because it seems less like a question with a direct answer.

Smooth Operator

HSC
Hia, anyone got any advice for answering an "Account for" question? I'm not sure exactly how to answer it, though I kind of get what I'm meant to be writing... like, I'm not sure what to put in my intro/essay/etc as a sentence responding directly to the question. Because it seems less like a question with a direct answer.
It would be easier to answer it in the context of a question you've been given.

This focus basically asks you to give/show reasons and evidence as why a particular event occurred etc.... Therefore you actually can structure a bit of an argument, hence you can write a direction you want to take with your essay with regards to the question in your introduction. Do not just narrate/recount events! You need sophistication in your essays.
From here you want to give reasons as to why and join-the-dots so to speak in your essay by making links to the question and even between the events which make up what you're accounting for.
Therefore account for is a little like the directive 'recall' however I believe it involves more analysis, a certain level of argument and a slight viewpoint, obviously this needs to come from substantial evidence.

If you're still unsure always check with your teacher as to what they think/know the directive 'account for' to mean, as this is only how I would approach it.

Also this might be of use. :)
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/glossary_keywords.html

Last edited:

raptis

HSC
"Assess the consequences of the Vietnamese victory against the French for Indochina in the period 1954-1964" - this is my assessment task (speech) which is due just before trials begin. how to i go about attempting this question

patrinia

HSC
I need some help "assess the consequences of the Vietnamese victory against the French for Indochina in the period 1954-1964"

patrinia

HSC
I have the same question but as an essay.. I need help

Shmoolie

HSC
Im in my HSC year of school and am studying by correspondence so its been tough studying modern.
The question ive always struggled to answer is.. explaining the importance of the why? question.. what would you put.
Source analysis is not my strong point

MBTMaster

HSC
One of the best approaches, in my opinion, to historical writing is, as I term it, the A.J.P Taylor approach. He recognised that history can be defined through general trends, ideas, events flowing from one another as well as dominant political and social undertones of the period. So often people are bogged down by countless names, dates, statistics that the essence of what you are writing, and therefore the question you are trying to answer is lost. This often results in simply the 'annal' type history often presented in the narrative format. By cutting through all the aforementioned ballast and getting straight to the point of the question, recognising what is actually important; the dominant themes and undertones of the particular topic or question, period or point at hand, you can only impress the marker.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)