Modern History Studying Tips (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Re: how to study for modern history?

Definitely, especially since your essay topics for the National Study, Personality Study and International Peace and Conflict module will require you to actually utilise the verb provided in the given question. If they ask you to assess, you should assess. If they ask you to outline, just simply outline!

cirenasfailing

HSC
I've pretty much accepted i have to teach myself the entire modern and ancient history course because all my teacher plans for a lesson is 'textbook reading', we havent done work in weeks, she isnt even a history teacher and she has never mentioned historiography, ever.

someone please explain this historiography thing to me, because my teacher hasn't.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've pretty much accepted i have to teach myself the entire modern and ancient history course because all my teacher plans for a lesson is 'textbook reading', we havent done work in weeks, she isnt even a history teacher and she has never mentioned historiography, ever.

someone please explain this historiography thing to me, because my teacher hasn't.

Put simply historiography is the use of historians or others who have written about the topic that you need to use to support or refute your argument e.g. saying 'according to Pliny the Younger the eruption at Vesuvius did xxx' is using historiography. You must absolutely use it in Ancient and it is highly advisable in Modern (although the questions don't necessarily mandate it the way they do in Ancient).

I teach both and this is how I explain it to my kids.

Every dot point should have a mention of one or two historians and their point of view (of course these historians can be the same ones). You don't need to memorise quotes as such but you should be able to paraphrase their general argument.

If you are doing Germany for Modern look at the articles on the BBC History website as these are written by well known historians and are shorter arguments then their whole books. This site also has excellent WWI and WWII sections with very good articles as well.

cirenasfailing

HSC
Okay, i kinda see it as a parallel to backing up you're statements from the text in english, so its pretty much [statement] [why its correct] [historians opinion to back it up] ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)