module B/speeches (1 Viewer)

big penguin

HSC
does anyone have any sample responses/good ideas for studying the speeches elective?

how do you approach the topic? how do you discuss each speech?

techniques? reception in that particular context? the speech's reception in today's context

:( i dont know

i cant find anything on them...

its one of the least studied electives in english, but my school decides for some ******* reason to do them...

thanks to anyone who decides to help :)

Hiba

umm hey well a good way of approaching this topic is to go through the speech slowly and underline/highlight all the element that would make this a great speech, technques such as metophors seasonal imagery, juxtapostion, appealing to higher authority and write why or why not this method is effective in getting the themes across
hey hope that helps

222fish

its importnat to link your speeches
your assessmnet question may ask you to focus on the reception of the speeches, or contrasting them through themes
but whatever the question ins, you would need to analyse techniques...i say choose 2 or 3 speeches and analyse them realli im depth because at most they will only specify one.
info on the reception can b picked up from the speech itself eg socrates and goldman were both convicted so obviously there stance were nto supported by the majority...reception today, society is much more open minded and forgiving, goldman's anarchist stance is no longer thought of as outrageous...its mainstreatm, and socrates is revered...hpe this helps

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Yes and u have to know all 12 since they can ask u to use one random speech of their choice

HOORAY I LOVE THIS MODULE

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
WHAT THE? I HAVE TO KNOW ALL 12? Oh noes. >< Every question we'd done as practice, they listed the 12, then asked you things about them, but never specified that we had to discuss any particular one, the questions were also broad enough so that we could choose and sometimes get away without going into detail...OMG, WE HAVE TO KNOW ALL 12?! Maybe my teachers will be nice and not ask to specify in the trial, I can't learn all 12 by Wednesday ><

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i know, this module sucks dick, i hate it!!!

anyway i've had trouble finding speeches resources too, there ar esome on this site but no essays, but essays aren't that hard to write up, just establish links between speeches and be prepared for ANY speech to be specified (the sucky bit)

when anaylsying each speech look at
-context
-purpose
-audience (modern and contemporary)
- content
-responses (of the audiece/world)
-structure (although not MAJORLY important)
- and rhetorical devices (techniques such as collaborative prounouns, emotive language etc)

use that format as a guide

Seraph

HSC
N/A
yulia said:
WHAT THE? I HAVE TO KNOW ALL 12? Oh noes. >< Every question we'd done as practice, they listed the 12, then asked you things about them, but never specified that we had to discuss any particular one, the questions were also broad enough so that we could choose and sometimes get away without going into detail...OMG, WE HAVE TO KNOW ALL 12?! Maybe my teachers will be nice and not ask to specify in the trial, I can't learn all 12 by Wednesday ><
yep!!!
look at some of the past HSC papers

some of them say USE SO SO AND SO , and some say USE 3 OF YOUR OWN

ITS A BLOODY ROLL OF A DICE!!!

MissGeorgie

yeh our teacher (head of the eng department) was at some english thing and whinged to some lady in a high place (??) that it was too much for us to know and the lady agreed and said put it in writing. bit bloody late for us but!!:(

Seraph

HSC
N/A
so i'm assuming you are writing notes for each speech? how long are your notes on each generally?

pocohantas

speeches study

this module is very off putting....it looks like so much more then it is...esp with some of them being 1000 pages long....but its really no bigger then a novel.
the thing that i hate is that we have to know quotes from all of them...incase they put a manditory one in...and say we learn 2 from each (which is not that much) that adds up to about 40 quotes...for one module....

is everyone learning all these bloody quotes....????

i have written about a page of very summarized notes on each speech....

does anyone have anygood notes on some of the more obscure speeches ....???

thanx

emma.bates

HSC
N/A
Hi guys this is my first time using this website and you guys a re such a help. We just started speeches like 3 weeks ago and it is our final topic but we have trials in like 2 weeks from today. I am kind of stressing because we can't get through every speech. I have to write an argument using 3 speeches Anyone got any ideas on 3 good ones to use and remmeber?:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)