more spots in halls and colleges from 2005 for first years (1 Viewer)

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
god dam this sucks for people already established at uni, having to give up there spots for stupid n00bs

MEMORANDUM

OFFICE OF THE VICE-CHANCELLOR

To: All Current Hall Residents
From: Dr David Rosalky, Executive Director (Administration)
Ref: EDA:75/04
Subject: ACCOMMODATION GUARANTEE TO INCOMING STUDENTS FROM OUTSIDE CANBERRA REGION – ADVICE TO CURRENT HALL RESIDENTS

The University has decided to take an important step in ensuring that new undergraduates from outside Canberra can experience a full university life at the ANU. This is a strategic initiative worthy of the national university.

As from the 2005 intake, new full-time undergraduate students coming from outside the Canberra region will be offered a place in a University Hall, Affiliated College or other University-approved accommodation for their initial year at ANU, provided they:

• enrol in a full-time undergraduate degree at the ANU
• are not resident in the local ACT area (not living in the following post codes: 0200, 2600-2612, 2614-2620, 2900-2914)
• accept an academic offer from the ANU within the stipulated timeframe
• accept the accommodation offer within the stipulated timeframe
• agree to, and abide by, the terms of the Room Agreement for the particular Hall.

Halls have, in the past, first offered places to continuing residents, and then filled vacancies with new residents, many of whom were first-years. In recent times, this has meant that some undergraduates new to Canberra have been left without suitable accommodation for some days, weeks, and even months, ultimately not having any opportunity to experience Hall life. The University believes that, given enough notice and support, students already in Canberra are better placed than incoming students to take up off-campus accommodation.

This decision may impact on some existing residents of the University-owned Halls (Bruce, Burton & Garran, Fenner, Toad, and Ursula), who wish to return in 2005. There will be fewer places in the Halls for returnees, although this is unlikely to be large in number. Current estimates suggest that across all Halls there will be a few percent fewer offers to continuing residents in 2005 than in 2004, if all targets are realised. It is not possible to predict this number with any accuracy until early December. However, the University will continue to update the estimate of the number of new undergraduate students likely to be offered a place as data become available, and a percentage of the remaining places will be offered to returnees in October. Returning students will be asked in September to indicate their desire to be considered for return to Hall. The selection of returning students will be based upon the following general principles:

• Maintaining a balance between the ages, countries of origin, and genders of residents; and
• Maintaining a balance between areas of study, and between postgraduate and undergraduate students.

This approach will ensure that the Halls maintain balanced communities.

Some additional vacancies in the Halls for continuing residents may become available in late January, once the actual demand from new students is met. Academic offers through UAC will be published on 19th January. Every effort will be made to notify returning students who are not to be offered a place in Hall as soon as possible after this date if they need to source alternative accommodation. University Accommodation Services will directly assist these students to find alternative accommodation. The private market in Canberra is presently expanding its options.

Graduate House and University House policies will be unaffected by this change as they accommodate only postgraduate students.

Heads of each Hall will individually advise you about the processes for taking your queries and concerns.

David Rosalky
Executive Director (Administration)

24 August 2004

If any of you little 2005's take my spot im gunna kick your ass, although im pretty safe because of the course balance rules thing and im one of two first year science students in burgmann, never the less prepare for beat down anyway :D

omg_a

HSC
Wow, that's pretty unusual. Do many people stay beyond one or two years anyway though? I know it varies from uni to uni, at UNSW most people only stay one or two years. It would be annoying though if you couldn't come back and you wanted to. But good for me i guess, as i'll be first year next year.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol. When i was little I shared a room with my big brother, and I was booted out when he got older..................My brother is on campus at the moment. It would be so sweeet if I were to boot him out of his room! SWEET i tells ya! HAZAAR for poetic justice!!!!!

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
i didn't think burgmann was affected since it's not uni run?

still it's a bit of a catch-22..

Ziff

HSC
N/A
At least I'm guaranteed a spot then :p

I can see how it is unfair though, but they do have a point, people already down there can get together with other Uni kids and make a sharehouse which is what I'm planning to do in the 2nd year anyway.

kenny75

HSC
I doubt that the memorandum will be implemented as it is written above. The halls and colleges rep will be negotiating with the uni to try and modify this policy to ensure that the later year will get to stay at their current college at the end of the year.

So, i reckon that the 1st year will be guranteed an accommodation, but that could be halls, colleges or uni approved properties (ie. anu owned housings, rex hotel etc)

Few nights ago, some UAS rep came to our college (ursula) to answer our questions on the policy, apparently the lady left the college crying and feeling intimidated coz of some protest we did. At least this made an impact to the uni and they know that problem isnt going to go away and they have to talk to us to resolve the issue

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
At least it will make all the undergrads reeeeally popular

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
melbournian said:
what a shitty policy.....

admins of colleges really fuck things up....

I am not sure of what traditions the ANU colleges have, but by getting rid of the seniors, these traditions will be lost. How stupid.

as you said, you dont know much about ANU... nor the effect it will have upon the college life.

Statistics wise, about 2000 people applied for college last year, about 200 missed out, most of them first years.

whats cheaper, building a crappy 200-300 room college, or advising others to get other accomodation so they provide some sort of building block environment for first years? I moved into college at the start of the year, and although I am not there any more, as a first year, I would say it was definately needed as an outsider to Canberra and ANU.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
besides.. if you take the intake from last year, over the amount of ANU owned colleges, then 200/3 (for there are 3 of them take take undergrads) ... 67 spots will be needed in each college... not that much. try looking at it from ANU's point of view.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Good news for me and other (hopeful) undergrads though :cool:

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
When is the latest time that you can apply for accommodation and have a reasonable chance of getting a spot? In the booklet it says to apply early but doesn't specify. I am unsure of whether or not I'll go to ANU so I don't want to apply unnecessarily.
Will this new arrangement mean that I don't need to worry about applying early and can apply as late as when I get my offer accepted (if all goes well...)?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I think there is a cutoff on the ANU site.

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
keep in mind that the accomodation garentee is not valid for the final round and ANU do not offer late round offers. So basically unless you acept a main round offer within 10 days of them coming out you may not get a spot in a hall or college

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)