• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Most annoying book of all time (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hahaha yeah when english extension was over last year i wanted nothing more than to take a scalpel and some matches to Dune. that was the biggest waste of my time ever. it was SO boring. i know lots of people like it (dear god why?) but i couldn't bring myself to like it at all. When i finally finished it i literally threw it across the room and let it ferment where it landed until exams rolled around and then i looked at it for a sec and went back to the tv and that was the extent of my 'study' for that book. fuck it was gay.

RedZenith

HSC
The Da Vinci Code. The amount of undeserved hype was so damn annoying, I mean its fiction and there's still so much controversy about it. And it wasn't very interesting to read either (i'm not religious).

HSC
The ruby in the smoke. I forgot by who. I had to read it for english and its crap. 19th century mystery about a Ruby. -_-

furansugo

HSC
The Da Vinci Code. I loathe it. In year 8, I chose it as the subject for my book review, but unfortunately I was asked to rewrite it. Apparently the reviews weren't allowed to be overtly negative.

It really irks me because it's plagued with religious hypocrisy, poorly written, has such superficial relationships, and in all honesty, isn't really plausible.

I also hate Chain of Hearts. As does 90% of my class.

BamBam90

HSC
Animal Farm.

*shudders* I was so glad when we finished prelim because i wouldn't need to even look at it again.

sworntosecrecy

HSC
Definately Harry Potter.
Dumbledore's gay for goodness sake!

What ever happened to the Lemony Snicket phase? :p

bleu

HSC
sworntosecrecy said:
The actor who plays Dumbledore in the movies is gay.

And what does that even have to do with anything?!

Zephyrio

HSC
The character Albus Dumbledore is gay. Google it. It was all over the news when JKR announced it.

And just because a character is gay, makes the whole series the most annoying books of all time? Bigot.

HSC
Breaking Dawn by S Meyer is hands down, by far the most annoying book I have ever have read, particularly since i enjoyed the first 3.

Schoey93

HSC
sworntosecrecy said:
Definately Harry Potter.

What ever happened to the Lemony Snicket phase? :p
J.K. Rowling did actually say that Dumbledore is gay in the documentary J.K. Rowling: A Year In The Life.
The most annoying book of all time, for me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It had such a terrible, clunky ending and an atrocious epilogue. I thought I might puke.

The orientation to the aforementioned book was horrible. Hardly grabbed me. It just goes to show that Jo Rowling's phenomenal success has gone to her head and she's got cocky. Also, planning exactly what will happen 2 years before you even start writing is insane. She limited her own creativity, the ending was hopeless - honestly, this business about Harry being 'capable of love despite having gone through so much angst' began to really get under my skin.

I only finished the book to say that I had read all SEVEN, which I have. No quips about the first FIVE books, however Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows were two of the most ANNOYING, appalling books that I have read. Ever.

From an acclaimed author such as Joanne Rowling, much more was expected, and at the end of the day...she didn't step up to the plate and deliver, which was such a pity. However, she wrapped up the series and it made sense, but the last 200 pp of the final book made for terrible reading. Her description of the war was similar to that of a novice writer. A talented Yr 9/Yr 10 student could have wrote a much better ending, given the endless hours at home that Jo Kathleen Rowling has. Albeit she has children to look after, yes, but only two under the age of 10 I believe...and granted, that was her choice. :uhhuh:

She really needs to be more critical and perhaps inject the slightest amount of humour into her next book ("a political fairytale for children", this will be a chpt book for children under 13, I believe). Come on, Jo, we thought you knew how to write. :rolleyes:
- James

HSC
The Bubblugs Bum theif by Morris Glietzman. It was really hard to get through. The words were well tricky!

SiN3m

HSC
Interv with the Vampire - Anne Rice

Louis ruins it all...whine whine whine...

Deatly Hallows - J.K Rowling
Absolute disappointment, and so is annoying that such a great series ended in such a way

oh yeah, and ANYTHING Jane Austen...

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
Hello2U2 said:
Breaking Dawn by S Meyer is hands down, by far the most annoying book I have ever have read, particularly since i enjoyed the first 3.
oh my god, yes. i couldn't put it down, but once i finished it, i looked back and thought: okay. bad plot. bad writing. bad climax. bad name (renesmee?! sounds like someone that trailer trash points and laughs at). the only thing i actually liked was jasper, and she even ruined him for me by making him a wussy little kid prone to temper tantrums and running away!

i vote for "the great gatsby", though. fitzgerald spends, like, five pages describing curtains. "the curtains were gauzy and white" would have done fine, thanks.

ALSO "the shipping news", but that's because. of the way - proulx writes. you know? it's... really annoying. right? because - well. she just. thinks that she's writing in an interesting way. and she's really.

not.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Rachel: "I just don't like my son spending all his time with a man who carries a gun and goes around whacking people."
Book: "Whacking? Whacking!?"

later

Book: "What happened to Hochleitner?"
Rachel: "He went home. He's a friend of the family... he's like a son to Eli."
[Notices John planing a board]
Rachel: "You know carpentry. Can you do anything else?"
Book: Whacking. I'm hell at whacking.

Eli: "It's not our way."
Book: "It's my way. It's my way or the highway."
Eli: :eek:

Daniel: Your hole, is your hoooooole better now, How's your hoooole?
Book: Yeah, my injury has pretty much healed. Thanks.

towards the end he also tried to eat rachel's face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)