Most annoying book of all time (1 Viewer)

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
you loved Julius Caesar and Frankenstein?

Woman!!!
Actually, I hated STUDYING Frankenstein. I read the book a couple of years before the HSC and I thought it was brilliant. It's one of my favourite books but in terms of analysing it, comparing it to Blade Runner and writing lots and lots of miserable, boring essays about it... it's really pretty crap.
Good book though.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Frankenstein was good in both respects. Except the style Shelley writes in. Fuck I hate older-era writers.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
it's a timeless classic no doubt. but as you said, her style of writing is way too flowery for a novel..

the first few chapters are the worst

JTwin

HSC
Definitely not harry potter- all the kids have made it seem crap, but its not.

most annoying is filthy farenheit 451. ew.

Lina3

HSC
Firstly, Miss Austen -not Mrs Austen as she was never married- was Edwardian, not Victorian-get it right.
And secondly,the whole point of the novels are that the girls are not wealthy, but they still have enough dignity that they marry for love, which makes Elizabeth and Jane Bennet, and the Dashwoods, and Fanny some of the first feminist characters
Just sayin...Jane Austen was an author during the Regency Period (i.e when George IV ruled on behalf of his father King George III because the King went mad). It was before the Victorian era (1837-1901) and way before the Edwardian era, (1901-1910).
Your points regarding the characters are very valid, However just because it was a step towards feminism, doesn't mean the characters are feminist. They pine for a love marriage and it happens because of the plot's convenience. This brings me to the most annoying novel, in my opinion: Pride and Prejudice. Maybe if it wasn't so over hyped, it wouldn't have been that bad. However, time and time again it is praised for it's originality and feminist message.

While the characters a witty, I get the impression they are sitting with iron rods up their spines, so tightly bound by their stiff collars and corsets that they are struggle to breath (literally and figuratively). Therefore they come off rather cold. In all honesty, I find Bella from twilight a more accessible character than Elizabeth. B and Mr Darcy. (Mind you, not a big fan of the twilight books either).

It's not all bad. The language is beautiful and the story is full of interesting details of intimate life in the time period. And yeah, Mr Darcy is in it ;)
But What annoys me about Pride and Prejudice, is because it is praised as being something it is not. There were romance novels way before, even with more riveting plots . Moll Flanders is much more feminist than Elizabeth, despite being thought up by a MAN almost a century before. In short, Pride and Prejudice is hardly revolutionary and yet it seems to overshadow more significant, more brilliant works of literature for a reason I am yet to understand.

Lina3

HSC
Haha...I just realized my tedious rant is the first post on this thread for over a year XD

BrokenGlass

HSC
Any really famous Jane Austen novel, I literally couldn't continue reading.

enak101

HSC
Contact by Carl Sagan

Takes the whole book to get things started and then nothing happens lol.

deliciouscake

HSC
Hunger Games --

The ideas were fantastic however it was poorly written, which ultimately brought it to its downfall.

kfnmpah

HSC
I honestly think 50 shades of grey is annoying as fuck.

both my housemates have read the trilogy and i was super excited to get it from them (just for the articles, i swear) and i flipped through and when they weren't having seemingly repetitive sex the story was awful. it was poorly written and it irked me that she referred to her vagina as 'her sex' what the fuck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)