Most over rated movie (1 Viewer)

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
Cab31 said:
The harry potter movies are over rated. They just wreck the books.
Slightly off topic, how overrated is scarlett johanson? She is so boring to watch.

...i feeel jealousy....

tempco

HSC
a beautiful mind was a great movie. made me cry.

and million dollar baby almost did.

DanielleM

HSC
Donnie Darko is one of my favourite movies! its soo mad not overated.. u may think that because you didnt understand it maybe ...

icecreamdisco

HSC
has anyone mentioned magnolia yet? i mean, i really dug it the first time round and it's pretty fast-moving for a 3-hour film, but the frog-rain scene is indefensibly ridiculous and all the film tells us really is that, like, strange coincidences happen a lot in the world. whoa.

and y tu mama tambien. yeah, the sex scenes are really well-handled, but it tries soooo hard to transcend the teen sex comedy/road trip genre with those oh-so-profound voice-overs that go off on tangents about the political and social climate for no real reason, and all the characters are unlikeable and uninteresting. vapid and pretentious.

also, bonnie and clyde did nothing for me at all. can't really say why though.

i could probably think of tons more...

nwatts

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
has anyone mentioned magnolia yet? i mean, i really dug it the first time round and it's pretty fast-moving for a 3-hour film, but the frog-rain scene is indefensibly ridiculous and all the film tells us really is that, like, strange coincidences happen a lot in the world. whoa.
The movie doesn't appeal to people who take it at face value. If the only thing you got from it was that "strange coincidences happen a lot", you're watching the wrong movie. It's brilliant, no two ways about it. But it needs its audience to think, rather than just watch.

And I don't understand everyone saying The Village is the most overrated movie. It was never 'rated' to begin with. 90% of people I know hated it, and it received very few praises from critics.

walrusbear

HSC
woah i would have said that any pt anderson movie is kinda underrated

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
froggy_chik87 said:
call me dumb, but war of the worlds isn't released until the 29th of june...how can you already rate it without seeing it?
lol, im just predicting, i never really thought Tom cruise as a good Actor, A speilberg movie... pft, i mean what Speilberg movies have been truly 'good'. Trying to create a movie based on an extremly well known Book by H.G Wells, im just having a guess.

icecreamdisco

HSC
nwatts said:
The movie doesn't appeal to people who take it at face value. If the only thing you got from it was that "strange coincidences happen a lot", you're watching the wrong movie. It's brilliant, no two ways about it. But it needs its audience to think, rather than just watch.
just saying "it's brilliant" isn't enough to convince me that i missed something. and when the film begins with a 15 minute montage of extraordinary coincidences before the old guy narrating tells us THAT THESE THINGS HAPPEN ALL THE TIME, it's easy to see where PTA is coming from. but yeah, i guess the film primarily tells us that our lives are connected in ways that we're oblivious to... so what? handfuls of films have done that, notably short cuts which PTA rips off shamelessly, especially with the ending. only the ending of shorts cuts was plausible; the frog rain in magnolia is just ridiculous. i suppose you could justify it as being a biblical allusion (which it was intended as), but that just makes it pretentious in addition to being ridiculous.

i'm not saying the film is bad; i've seen it three times! just not as profound as people give it credit for, hence OVERRATED.

oh, and punchdrunk love is far superior.

walrusbear

HSC
boogie nights is underrated

so what if he wants scorsese's babies
can you blame him?

icecreamdisco

HSC
boogie nights is rated fine.

he's a talented director; just needs to find his own voice instead of regurgitating others (though punchdrunk is easily his most original and distinctively his own).

walrusbear

HSC
punchdrunk love was downright excellent
he showed some versatility
when the fuck will he start something else? it's been ages

nwatts

HSC
He hardly "shamelessly ripped" from Short Cuts. They are two films similar in style and structure. That's all. I imagine P.T. Anderson watched Short Cuts and thought 'hrmm, nice style. I can take what Altman's done and do it better', which he did. Short Cuts is so shallow, and has no emotional core. To add to that, its characters were neither interesting nor engaging. Anderson used Altman's style, weaved in far more unique characters, adding an emotional strength. Simply because the technical side of Anderson's film is slightly derivative doesn't mean he has "shamelessly ripped" from another film. He's taken a good concept and strengthened it.

I believe Altman was simply saying that coincidences happen and that peoples lives are interconnected in Short Cuts, which all came from the style in which he filmed it (which is the same style Anderson has used in Magnolia). However, I feel Anderson has far more to add. He seems to question the nature of control. Do we live a scripted existence, or are our lives a series of coincidences. He sets the film up with the narrator claiming that live and death all come down to random acts of coincidence, and ends the film with the suggestion that perhaps there's more to life than coincidence - the frogs rain from the sky, an event that affects every character in the film, showing the audience that these lives have been altered in a way out of their control. I find Magnolia to be a film that opens up so many doors, and leaves them open. It doesn't aim to provide answers, but merely challenge its audience - the way many recent films from Mike Nichols present themselves.

I don't understand why you think the frogs are so silly. The entire film exists in such a subtley surreal world, to which the raining frogs seem to be part. The film never, ever pretended to be fully realistic, it never intended to be an epic, and I fail to see how it can be labelled pretentious. It wasn't aimed to be a biblical allusion either. You need to read up on the film a little more.

Also, you had a problem with me labelling the film "brilliant", yet you have no problem with stating that the film is "not as profound as people give it credit for" and "overrated"? You can't throw away one person's comment and make equally as 'objective' replies.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm inclined to agree with icecream about Magnolia, I've seen it a couple of times and the frog rain scene was pretty silly. Other than that I rather like PT Anderson though, Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love were both superb.

I rather enjoyed Bonnie and Clyde too, but I think it's one of those films that you have to have seen when it was first out to fully appreciate (Or if you've seen no other New Wave..).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)