Motorcycle Talk Thread (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
This is absolutely fucked.

Although it could be worse. There's been talk for years of raising the motorcycle license age to 18 to get your L's. Or making it mandatory for riders to have car P's, or a full car license (the aim behind these plans of course, is to provide a financial deterrent to getting a licence). I believe such things exist in Qld?

There's been plenty of lobbyists and consultants saying publicly for years that motorcycles should be banned outright. One commentator notably said "if motorcycles were invented today, they would be banned". And from a social utilitarian perspective, it makes complete sense. No one needs to ride a road motorcycle, and they're responsible for a disproportionate number of fatalities and are inherently dangerous.

There's a state election coming up.

Last edited:

quik.

HSC
3 years on a 250 would be pretty unbearable... when I'm on fulls next year I will have been riding the 250 for 2 years, and I have been wanting something more capable for a while now.

I guess Honda will sell a lot more 400's though.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
It's still not going to stop 20 year olds from killing themselves the first time they push their 600 supersport.

boris

Banned
HSC
they know that just as well as we do. same as its not going to stop a 20yr old killing themselves in their vn calais just because they have a little green plate on their vehicle as opposed to nothing

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Taken from a press release posted on netrider:
New Licensing arrangements in NSW commence 1/7/09
(typo lol?)
NSW Motorcycle Graduated Licensing System - Questions and Answers

When does the new system come into effect?

The GLS for motorcycle is in effect from June 2009.

What if I am currently on a motorcycle Learner rider licence?

Provisional rider licences issued after June 2009 will come under the new system.

What if I am currently booked into a provisional rider course after June 2009?

Provisional rider licences issued after June 2009 will come under the new system.

What if I am currently on a Provisional motorcycle rider licence?

Provisional rider licences issued before June 2009 will not come under the new system.

What are the mature aged exemptions?

Riders over the age of 25 years may receive an exemption from the P2 phase if they:
- Hold a current Australian unrestricted driver licence.
- Have completed a minimum of 12 months on a P1 licence
- Meet all other licensing requirements

Who is restricted to riding a Learner Approved Motorcycle (LAM)?

All novice riders are restricted to a LAM while they hold a Learner, P1 or P2 licence.

How long is the P1 licence issued/valid for?

The P1 licence is valid for 18 months but may be upgraded after a minimum of 12 months.

What is the Provisional P2 rider licence?

The Provisional P2 licence is issued after a rider has held a P1 licence for a minimum of 12 months. The P2 licence may be upgraded after 24 months (not including any licence suspensions or cancellations).

How long is the P2 licence issued/valid for?

The P2 licence is valid for 30 months but may be upgraded after a minimum of 24 months.

What if a licence is cancelled following a disqualification for a serious offence?

When a licence is cancelled as a result of a disqualification for a serious offence, the period the licence was held before the cancellation is not counted.

What are the licence restrictions for P2 licences?

The restrictions are;
- Blood Alcohol must be Zero.
- Demerit points – seven or more points will incur suspension
- Display of P plates – A green P plate must be clearly displayed on the back of the motorcycle.
- Helmet – Must be Australian Standard approved (AS 1698)
- Motorcycle – must be a LAM, identified on RTA website as learner approved and have an engine capacity not greater than 660ml and a power to weight ratio not greater than 150 kilowatts per tonne.
- Speed limit – limited to a maximum 100km/h.

Can I carry a passenger on a P2 rider licence?

Yes

If I turn 25 while on aP2 licence can I up grade to a full licence?

Yes
Fuck yes, comes into effect 1st july, I can hopefully grab my p's by then.

EDIT: lol typo in first line, fuck

Last edited:
N

NeoSanity

fuckin new laws coming in july man.,. thats shit. i cant get my L's till august and now i gotta spend 3 years displaying plates.. fk.

Tonthat

HSC
fuckin new laws coming in july man.,. thats shit. i cant get my L's till august and now i gotta spend 3 years displaying plates.. fk.
Displaying plates isn't really the shit part. You're going to be on 250s for three years....

N

NeoSanity

yeah.. i meant to include that as well. its total crap..I was so looking forward to getting my L's in august and now this gets me down.. 3 years with restrictions and a 250 bike.. fucks sake :(. They could atleast allow you to ride any bike on P2's..

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
yeah.. i meant to include that as well. its total crap..I was so looking forward to getting my L's in august and now this gets me down.. 3 years with restrictions and a 250 bike.. fucks sake :(. They could atleast allow you to ride any bike on P2's..
Doing that would negate the 'most important' effect of these laws. The only difference between the new system and the old system afaik is that you wouldn't be able to drink/ride.

quik.

HSC
I think bumping up eligible bikes for P2 to encompass some more powerful models would be a reasonable compromise. Don't really have any suggestions as to how it could be implemented though.

I do know that I will feel a lot safer on a bigger bike next year, having the acceleration there if you need it. Motorways are the only place I feel a 250 is inadequate atm, nowhere near as much go when you are already on 90-100.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Everyone in this thread keeps repeating "being stuck on a 250 for three years will be shit".

The thing is, no one will be stuck on a 250 for 3 years. You'll be stuck on a LAMs bike for 3 years.

The introduction of the LAMs scheme would have played a big part in the RTA's decision to go for longer P's restrictions. 6'2", 110kg men, no longer have to squat around on little 250 racers that are overwhelmed in every respect by their size and weight.

They can instead ride big, ugly, torquey dirt bikes with indestructible frames and suspension, and some motive power. So the P's restriction isn't as practically limiting as it once was.

I think on balance, if we had to choose between the system of ten years ago, with 1.5 years on 250's, vs. the incoming system, where you'll have to be riding bikes of up to 660cc capacity for 3 years, we're better off with the new system.

Of course, a third, much less restrictive scheme would be the ideal, and I don't think there'll be any real benefit from this new scheme.

There are some nice LAM's bikes on the market, and more available all the time. Get a cheap used 'LAMs' Hyosung 650, derestrict it and don't tell the RTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)