Motors and Generators 'Experiment' (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys
I'm getting a motors and generators practical experiment as an assessment task in a few weeks and we don't get told what to do until the day. Has anyone had something similar or know of a probable experiment question they could ask? It would be a big help if I knew a few things they could ask and have a good idea what to do before the actual assessment date.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
learn the concepts behind motors and generators - motor effect, emi, etc and u should be fine. prac exams are meant to test your prac skills - taking data, making observations, drawing perfect graphs etc. and the assessment should guide you through the whole experiment.

as for the prac itself, ten bucks it'll involve something with magnets =) i had one where there was a magnet dangling horizontally and u rotated it horizontally just above an aluminium foil disk balanced on a pivot. it was basically a model of an induction motor.

pchomer

HSC
we had to build a ac or dc motor from scratch for our pract assessment

well dont noe if this is any help but all u need to build a dc motor is

• 1 cardboard box (approx. 15cm x 18.5 cm x 7cm, Nestle WobbleGuts ice cream box)
• 2 BBQ Bamboo Skewers 25cm long (the axle and armature)
• 2 bar magnets
• A role of sewing thread and glue (used in conjunction to join the pieces of bamboo to create the axle and armature)
• A role of 0.3mm enamelled copper wire (the rotor and when folded correctly the ends can be formed into split ring commutators)
• 2 normal sized paper clips (brushes)
• battery 1.2V minimum

Last edited:

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
On soccer fields, In KFC, At uni, At clubs, and in
HSC
N/A
ahh that mod pissed me off so badly, our assesment we made this motor and we have to explain every thing on it, ask what if qestions ourselves, and do drawing. i spent like 5 hours making this wood motor, (yes it spins faster than any one elses) and then 1 hour writing up the plan and rest of the assesment.
and then on the day we had to hand it in, the teacher goes to every one, we only needed the motor to spin a to get full marks :mad:
and it was 5 marks out of 30, 25 marks for the writing section, it was the biggest waste of time in my life.
any way u want my plan just send me a email and i will reply.

Dementia

HSC
Does anyone know what kind of experiment you can perform using a DC motor?

^___^
HSC
pchomer said:

• 1 cardboard box (approx. 15cm x 18.5 cm x 7cm, Nestle WobbleGuts ice cream box)
• 2 bar magnets
• A role of sewing thread and glue (used in conjunction to join the pieces of bamboo to create the axle and armature)
• A role of 0.3mm enamelled copper wire (the rotor and when folded correctly the ends can be formed into split ring commutators)
• battery 1.2V minimum
jeebus, thats harsh
we only did it as a practical and it took us 2lessons to get it to work
the major problem was making sure the copper were connected to the communter(forgot the name, its been over a yr since i did physics..lol) probably
if its connected too lose, you won't get a proper connection, if its too tight, it won't spin smoothly

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Hence why the use graphite brushes in real life :p

daemonic666

whats the point of this?
HSC
pchomer said:

• 2 bar magnets
• battery 1.2V minimum
do you know how to make an ac motor as well, or is it only dc we need
i just dont quite know how to go about this assess.

HSC
Hey guys did my prac assessment today.............
It was bullshi+ it was supposed to be a prac like where they give you an aim and u gotta do the method, equipment, results, etc etc but instead it was nearly like a test or something. Only five of the thirty marks was on the actual practical skills and the rest was on questions, some not even really about the prac at all. Like the rest of the class I hardly studied at all cause i and the others thought it was just a normal prac!
So much stupid shi+ i got wrong that i would've known of by heart if i'd known that it was closer to a test then a freagin prac. like man, i got the RHPR thing the wrong way round and said the thing spun the other way!
Dammit I'll get the marks in a couple of days.....I'll let you know what i got.

BTW thanks anyway for the help everyone offered. much appreciated.

HSC
Good news!
Everyone else screwed up so i actually went well with my 22 out of 30 and came second.
Just in case you wanted to know..............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)