moving out!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Very roughly, you're looking at around $150 in rent, $50 in groceries, $50 in bills and $50 in miscellaneous expenses per week.

That's around $300 per week.

If you're going to university four days a week, and working for 8 hours on your three days off, you need to be earning $12.50 per hour to make $300 per week.

This doesn't take into account textbooks, travel expenses, fees and the possibility that you might not be given the hours you want to work each week.

Plus your social life isn't going to be all that fancy.

bio_nut

HSC
bachelor of arts/education(humanities) at usyd
Oh yeah, sorry, you mentioned were doing education. You'll have plenty of time to work part time, it's where you do science/engo and such you have less time to work.

First year at least you're pretty much at arts student with hardly any contact hours.

proringz

HSC
Very roughly, you're looking at around $150 in rent, $50 in groceries, $50 in bills and $50 in miscellaneous expenses per week.

That's around $300 per week.

If you're going to university four days a week, and working for 8 hours on your three days off, you need to be earning $12.50 per hour to make $300 per week.

This doesn't take into account textbooks, travel expenses, fees and the possibility that you might not be given the hours you want to work each week.

Plus your social life isn't going to be all that fancy.
Also, if he's eligible for youth allowance he would have an extra $250 per fortnight on top.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Everyone is HECS since this year at least. Unless you get low marks and then go to like Bond uni and shit. Fee paying places were abolished at non private unis.

Don't you keep up to date with this as a prospective uni student? I know I sure as hell did.
sorry, i'm obviously not very well informed in this subject area so really i shouldn't have said anything to begin with

Name_Taken

HSC
IDK how bad your relationship is with your parents, but ask if you can borrow some money, telling them that you're moving out, its worth a try at least.

You can apply to Centrelink, for the youth study allowance, or something like that, which would be a good bonus if you're eligible.

Its already been mentioned that you can get the government to pay your fees upfront through HECS and then you can pay the loan back once you start working (I think it automatically gets deducted sorta like tax, though I'm not sure).

Uni fees shouldn't be *too* bad. I think for teaching degrees, the government already subsidizes the costs to about $4k every year because of the shortage of teachers, same as nursing (tho the actual cost obviously still varies at different Unis). Its still a lot, but much cheaper than like a law or commerce degree which often can approach around $8k.

Good luck mate :)

madsam

God among men
HSC
Well uni fee's for education (band 1) are $5,310 a year
Sauce: Commonwealth supported places - Domestic undergraduate - The University of Sydney
Or roughly 102 a week, or you can defer them

And your rent will vary anywhere between 200-400 a week, depending on the quality of the place, including electricity and water etc

And food would be around 50-100 each week

So at the least, thats 350 a week

And lets say you earn 20 bucks an hour, which is pretty good, but not the best or anything

Thats about 18 hours work, to survive at minimum, up to 30 hours a week paying high end shit

So like, its possible if you get a job close to you, live at the uni and dont go out much

On a side note, i havnt checked into it but it might be cheaper to borrow the money from the bank to pay for uni fees upfront (You get a 20% discount) and then pay that off throughout the year, possibly saving you money in the long term

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
unless ur studying something like engineering/science that requires 4-5 day weeks, there is no reason you can't study + work .

bio_nut

HSC
And you still can work doing whilst studying in those areas. I am. (though I have no choice either way, I'm not a fob or a rich bastard, so I have to work for my money...)

icecubeX

HSC
Yeah parents can be bad...
but i guess you should stay with them until you earn enough money to be secure.
You might want to think about the 'what if's' when you move out.
Like... redundancy? not trying to be pessimistic or anything, but anything can happen.

bio_nut

HSC
Jesus christ, most of you have no fucking idea. You make me sick.

P.T.F.E

HSC
please its possible... just think of all us rural kids who have to do it anyway...

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'd definitely recommend deferring to HECS. It's interest free anyway, only indexed to CPI. Basically your rent should be a third of what you earn per week, and places near uni are expensive. If you go on $150/week as rent, that's $450/week you need to earn. If you're not too fussy consider sharing a room with your friend as that'll cut down costs.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Youth Allowance

you should be eligible for the youth allowance since you will be financially independant and studying full time...
you might be able to get $200 per week or something which would help a great deal

shady145

Banned
HSC
Youth Allowance

you should be eligible for the youth allowance since you will be financially independant and studying full time...
you might be able to get $200 per week or something which would help a great deal
what... how do you get 200pw
max for single living away from home is 371/fortnight isnt it?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
what... how do you get 200pw
max for single living away from home is 371/fortnight isnt it?

i have no idea that was just a guess. either way i guess itd be helpful if the OP could get it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)