Moving out (1 Viewer)

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
My mother continually tells me i have to move out as soon as my last hsc exam is over, just a little added pressure but you know. I was wondering if someone could help me out with what kind of supports i can get and where to go for them. I'll be 18 and also be hoping to be studying primary education at uni. I hadn't ever planned to move out, i'm actually the one of my friends who doesnt want to move out, theres no way i'll be able to afford it. My boyfriend still lives with his dad and they have offered for me to live there but i don't want to invaid on them to much so i don't know if thats the best choice.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Your best bet would be to find your way into uni, get yourself a 25/28 hour a week job so you're earning at least $250 a week. Get to uni, apply to centrelink for austudy & rent assistance, find a sharehouse so that you can reduce rent to anything from $60/wk to $100/wk, and then budget like you've never budgeted before... that's the most popular method. And honestly, if you've been offered a temp place to live, then take it.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Yeah if you're mother's that fucked about it take any and all offers for a place to stay.

milk&honey

HSC
Inquire about, and apply to any scholarship that’s on offer at your uni- some of them are not awarded according to academic results (if you are worried about this). I’ve known a couple of people in the past who didn’t think they had a chance, but applied anyway and got the scholarship. There’s no harm in trying. This might help ease some of the financial burden.

P

pLuvia

xox_eMz_xox said:
My mother continually tells me i have to move out as soon as my last hsc exam is over, just a little added pressure but you know. I was wondering if someone could help me out with what kind of supports i can get and where to go for them. I'll be 18 and also be hoping to be studying primary education at uni. I hadn't ever planned to move out, i'm actually the one of my friends who doesnt want to move out, theres no way i'll be able to afford it. My boyfriend still lives with his dad and they have offered for me to live there but i don't want to invaid on them to much so i don't know if thats the best choice.
lol, she wants you out of the house??? my mum says if i go out, im bound to come back ahha

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
You need help from your parents to get centrelink because you need to be able to show their earnings if you are not independant- they need to earn below a certain amount for you to qualify. You can get independant status bu earning lots of money in 18 months after leaving school, or I think there is an avenue you can pursue where you can essentially disown your parents because they refuse to support you.... apparently it is really difficult to follow this route and you have to see social workers and the whole works.

I don't know your situation but moving out costs a hella lot of money. If you are going to be attending uni in a commutable distance from your current residence, I would really try and avoid moving out if at all possible. As I said, I don't know your situation, however have you tried maybe speaking to your mum and saying that you really want to go to uni and pursue this career path, would she consider letting you stay until you at least start studying and get settled in to uni, so you can find a job over the summer hols and save up some money etc. If it is a money issue maybe you could work out to pay some board each week to your mum... it will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than moving out. If it is a relationship issue then there isn't much you can do about it, but obviously I don't know your situation so these are just ideas I am throwing out there.

Your best bet is probably a share house, or uni housing, but you won't be able to move in to any uni housing until you get a university offer, and some places don't let you move in until the start of first semester. Maybe you could take up your boyfriend's offer until the uni year started if you wanted to live on campus?

It sounds like a tough situation and I think your mum sounds like she is being a bit unreasonable. Like you need time to save up and find out where you are going to uni etc- just a couple of months extra after HSC would make things so much easier for you.

Jessie moo moo

HSC
I recommend looking for share accomadation aswell. Or do you have any friends who are looking to move out of home? I personally think it's pretty slack that your mum wants you out! But yeah if you can prove that your parents aren't going to support you in anyway money wise, and you will be out on your own, Your parents shouldn't need to go thru how much they earn etc. Hopefully you can find a room to let near the Uni somewhere. Maybe if you spoke to a social worker etc, they might be able to help you out with organising a place for you to stay if you get stuck.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
moving out does cost heaps. I'd say take the offer from your boyfriend until you're able to find a place of your own.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
moving out does cost heaps. I'd say take the offer from your boyfriend until you're able to find a place of your own.
Hear hear. If you feel bad about it all, maybe give some board (doesn't have to be much, even if it's just a token) and help with the cooking or something to pay your way.

I practically live at my girlfriends board-free, and admittedly feel a little bad about that but feel awkward all of a sudden offering board after not doing so for the last year... whether that makes sense or not, I try and help out where I can... I think I'm welcome, anyway.. ;)

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
:) yeh i have pretty crazy parents! Thanks everyone, i'll probably just take up the offer ay, at least until i save up enough to move out and then my boyfriend would probably come with me! His going to be so distracting if im trying to study and going out with the girls will be even harder with him around all the time! It'll be a interesting experience for me anyway. Might even post pone going to UNI for a year to save abit.

Thankyou again xo

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
xox_eMz_xox said:
:) yeh i have pretty crazy parents! Thanks everyone, i'll probably just take up the offer ay, at least until i save up enough to move out and then my boyfriend would probably come with me! His going to be so distracting if im trying to study and going out with the girls will be even harder with him around all the time! It'll be a interesting experience for me anyway. Might even post pone going to UNI for a year to save abit.

Thankyou again xo
what uni were you planning on going to? cos i do primary ed at usyd and it's basically a 3 day week. So you have plenty of time to work. at the moment my timetable is 9 to 1 monday, 10 to 4 tuesday, 10 to 3 thursday. so yeah you can get a job and work the rest of the time, go to centrelink and apply for rent assistance. living on campus can be expensive, especially in sydney (this is all reliant on the fact that you live in sydney!). apart from that, lisiten to everyone who's posted here. and after the hsc get a full time job or something, you can earn a couple of grand between the end of the hsc and the start of uni, which is a good starting point.

(sorry if other people have posted this... i didn't read previous replies.)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Given the circumstances, you could apply to be independent if your parents practically kick you out and refuse to support you - thus circumstances make living at home impossible, so they should give you the independent rate, which is ~ $330 a fortnight, plus extra rent assistance.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Can't you just say no your not moving out. If they are not going to physical force you out, you should jsut say you not leaving.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
of course they can kick her out. Assuming she's 18, the place she lives in is in her parents name and once she turns 18, her parents no longer have any legal responsibility to her, if her mum tells her to leave and she doesn't, she can get the police involved.

Ethically, she seems outta line but legally shes within her rights.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
White Rabbit said:
Given the circumstances, you could apply to be independent if your parents practically kick you out and refuse to support you - thus circumstances make living at home impossible, so they should give you the independent rate, which is ~ $330 a fortnight, plus extra rent assistance.
this is true. I'm not sure if you'd get the independent title definatley, but there are circumstances in which you can get independence involving your relationship with your parents.

just parents unable to carry out parental roles etc. It's rather broad, it usually means any form of emotional, physical or mental abuse, as well as being financially unable to support you (I think). You usually have to prove this. A centrelink support worker, after you submitting the claim, will call your parents up and interview them about it: to figure out if they agree that they cannot support you.

If this cannot be proved, they go to secondary sources in which you provide, eg family friends who are aware that you've been kicked out, school teachers, government counsellors etc.

Also, this payment, if you receive it, will be deducted according to how much you earn from your job each fortnight, though it should not affect you for about another year, because you earn an education award or something, where you are allowed to earn up a specific amount (mine was $8000ish) before your income starts getting affected.

Seriously, just call up centrelink youth 13 2490 about it. I have so much to do with them now, particularly with the parent thing, as well as income, and I know all this just simply by asking them.

olchik

HSC
I can't believe that your mom pushes you to move out. Is it a normal thing in your country?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)