mp3, wav, mp4 (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Someone unconfuse me

I don't get it
What's the difference between all of them? Quality? Will only mp3 format play on mp3 players?

Why when I rip cds to the computer they are in .wav format. How do I rip to mp3 format?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
.wav is uncompressed, if you want a CD to play in a CD player the file must be .wav but has huge file size

mp3 is compressed and can only be played by comps or mp3 players - much smaller file size and quality is reduced (but the human ear cant tell the difference :D)

want any additional info, just google it there will be heaps of stuff on the similarities and differences

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Ok, thanks! As for ripping to mp3, I have found that.

Another question though:
I have ripped songs, they come up as .wav, they are about 3 or 4mb. Mp3s aren't much smaller than this are they?

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
The quality of the wave file should be checked, look at the bit rate, sample size, channels, sample rate. Compare the file size to an mp3 version with the same attributes and the file size should be smaller, generally around 10-15% smaller (I believe).
melsc said:
mp3 is compressed and can only be played by comps or mp3 players - much smaller file size and quality is reduced (but the human ear cant tell the difference )
actually the quality of the sound would be the same as wave, most likely the decoding process is the one that degrades the quality.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
AntiHyper said:
The quality of the wave file should be checked, look at the bit rate, sample size, channels, sample rate. Compare the file size to an mp3 version with the same attributes and the file size should be smaller, generally around 10-15% smaller (I believe).
WAV files are 150kBps. MP3 varies from 128kbps to 320kbps. It will be 4 to 9 times smaller than the WAV file.

actually the quality of the sound would be the same as wave, most likely the decoding process is the one that degrades the quality.
Not quite. The encoding process removes extremities which it deems that the human ear cannot detect. While in practice it is true that you will not pick them up most of the time, with a good speaker system or headphones you can hear the difference between WAV and MP3 and the degradation from the conversion.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you've played an instrument or done any sort of musical/aural training, you can pick up the differences quite easily via stock speakers etc.

Though, in the end, most music is mastered at such a loud volume nowdays, that its basically useless to have decent headphones for most people, and so its not really much of a worry.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Yep, all you need is a pair of shure headphones and you can pretty much hear the quality difference.
Shure E2c should do, but if money isn't a problem, E4c is very sweet. But then again, for that price you can pretty much buy an mp3 player, and it's really not worth it.

AsyLum said:
Though, in the end, most music is mastered at such a loud volume nowdays, that its basically useless to have decent headphones for most people, and so its not really much of a worry.
In most situations portable music players will be used where there are background noise. The degradation they do is far greater than any encoder at a decent bitrate.

Highly_Nrgetik

HSC
Wav is a much clearer format. If you want great quality, and don't want wav, convert it to mp3 192kbps because it is studio quality. If you have a good ear, you can pick out the difference between 192kbps and 128kbps on mp3.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Highly_Nrgetik said:
Wav is a much clearer format. If you want great quality, and don't want wav, convert it to mp3 192kbps because it is studio quality. If you have a good ear, you can pick out the difference between 192kbps and 128kbps on mp3.
The mark of an idiot.

volition

arr.
HSC
Yeah wouldn't you need one of those 'lossless' codecs for that? like FLAC or something... mp3 is known as a 'lossy' codec, which means that information is lost (if you get what I mean)... That's how I think it works anyway.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
yep its lossy, which means the quality reduction cannot be reversed, but as I said before, the loss of quality is most of the range which the human ear cannot hear, so really its no big deal :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To clarify this point, it's not actually the taking out of extremities which people can hear, but rather the 'fullness' of the sound, or lack thereof which becomes apparent when listening on a high-quality audio component.

Highly_Nrgetik

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
mp3 at 192 is nowhere near studio quality.

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

sorry. 320kbps.. cept the fact is the file size is too big

i ment to say 192 is fair decent.. and you can tell the difference between 192 and 128

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
A question MP3s:
Since the compression algorithm moves out frequencies that the human ear cannot hear. Including the very low frequency range (below 10Hz). Is there a notable difference to the amount a sub-woofer puts out compared to non-lossey format?

I know MP3s deffinatley seem to distort at the higher frequencies, but I haven't taken much noice to how much the lower frequencies differ?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The algorithms basically take the song/clip and then wipe out the upper and lower echelons. These are "not noticeable" bar a select few, but as i stated, it affects the fullness of the sounds rather than the noticeable sections. See our ear/brain fills in the missing parts, but with the missing parts, there is a noticeable difference if you have a decent enough set, and so it sounds rather plain or thin within the higher registers and lacking in the bass in the lower sets.

equiski

HSC
I'm glad someone here knows what they're talking about.

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
hmmm, no one went on about mp4s....

to my knowledge mp4 is short for mpeg4, a video format usually for phones and clips for digicams. (i heard it's also for psp)

mp4 is such a pain in the arse cos window media player and divX cant play it. u need a special program or codec to play it on the comp

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
HamuTarou said:
hmmm, no one went on about mp4s....

to my knowledge mp4 is short for mpeg4, a video format usually for phones and clips for digicams. (i heard it's also for psp)

mp4 is such a pain in the arse cos window media player and divX cant play it. u need a special program or codec to play it on the comp
AsyLum said:
I'd hate to quote myself, but its all there, people just dont want to read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)