MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol still getting into the hang of my study pattern... getting closer each week though. I really like how mq has night classes and echo, it means I only need to be on campus 3 days. Wish I had some classes with you guys. Also I found grad positions @ aldi! 85k plus a car and iphone and increases to like 185 over 4 years... That's so much more than other places lol (I'd link but I think thats advertising it too much)
Longer term for Career progression, you'd be better going of elsewhere.

Plus if things look to be good to be true, there is often a catch.

mrstripedshades

HSC
Skimmed through it, Holy shit 9 new equations lmao and Series. Will be interesting considering I didn't particularly like Series in 4U.
I guess I have no choice tho I think I have food poisoning or smth legit can't get out of bed to do anything productive atm.Hopefully i get it at home or I'll go to the Thursday one

Last edited:

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Do any students know the strictness of Tutorial Participation marking? Do the teachers do it every week, at the end of the session or some other demonic ritual?
It's very dependent on the tutor. Some will mark participation on how well you've done your homework, others on how much you actually speak up in class. I've had a really mixed experiences. I'd suggest come prepared if there is homework, and then volunteer your answers. If your not sure about anything ask. I've found teachers that remember your name (usually because nobody else in the class is talking), that you'll get a better participation mark.

mrstripedshades

HSC
how much do you think we are expected to write for the case study questions in the ACCG hw. And in what format?

I've done a draft but its pre messy so probably gonna rewrite it but dunno if it was the right way to answer it

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
how much do you think we are expected to write for the case study questions in the ACCG hw. And in what format?
IMO, ACCG theory answers were always way longer than they needed to be. Give your answer and justify it, there isn't much else to add really. Try not to copy directly from the textbook or lecture material. A lot of students do this and I've found it annoys the tutors more. Bullet points are probably fine if your justifying why you do or don't agree with something. Probably 1-2 paragraphs are fine for any other answers.

If your writing out things like journals, balance sheets etc., always complete them fully, in the format presented to you in the lecture. Do not follow textbook formatting unless you are completely unsure. Always put titles.

In the early accounting subjects, your actual numerical answers aren't as important as trying to get the presentation and formats right, learning debits and credits, and account names. Of course, having a balance sheet that balances is always important, but it's only homework. You won't be penalised for having incorrect answers, only for having genuine attempts.

I think ACCG100/ACCG101 have changed how they present content since I've done them, so I'm not entirely sure what you are covering.

mrstripedshades

HSC
IMO, ACCG theory answers were always way longer than they needed to be. Give your answer and justify it, there isn't much else to add really. Try not to copy directly from the textbook or lecture material. A lot of students do this and I've found it annoys the tutors more. Bullet points are probably fine if your justifying why you do or don't agree with something. Probably 1-2 paragraphs are fine for any other answers.

If your writing out things like journals, balance sheets etc., always complete them fully, in the format presented to you in the lecture. Do not follow textbook formatting unless you are completely unsure. Always put titles.

In the early accounting subjects, your actual numerical answers aren't as important as trying to get the presentation and formats right, learning debits and credits, and account names. Of course, having a balance sheet that balances is always important, but it's only homework. You won't be penalised for having incorrect answers, only for having genuine attempts.

I think ACCG100/ACCG101 have changed how they present content since I've done them, so I'm not entirely sure what you are covering.
thanks a lot! We're not up to most of the stuff u said but it'll help a lot in the future haha.

do u think it matters if u type or write, like do tutors generally have a preferred format

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks a lot! We're not up to most of the stuff u said but it'll help a lot in the future haha.

do u think it matters if u type or write, like do tutors generally have a preferred format
Tutors won't mind if you hand write or type for your theory questions.

When you get to journals, balance sheets etc, I can guarantee hand writing will be better. I always needed more space and it's much easier to hand write than try and format everything on a computer. You'll also need to practice these for exams, so hand writing always wins there!

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Any students who drive here? Where else do you park other than the terrible West Parking Lot?

I just missed a tutorial because I drove around trying to look for parking. Also, are you allowed to park on the striped white lines in the 2 story parking lot? What about the areas next to the kerbs in the main one? I've seen people park there but I'm 60% sure that you'll get fined.

mrstripedshades

HSC
Any students who drive here? Where else do you park other than the terrible West Parking Lot?

I just missed a tutorial because I drove around trying to look for parking. Also, are you allowed to park on the striped white lines in the 2 story parking lot? What about the areas next to the kerbs in the main one? I've seen people park there but I'm 60% sure that you'll get fined.
so did u just not go to ur tutorial lol? or does it really take that long to find parking... glad i decided not to drive this year tbh. I saw people walk in like 30 minutes late in some of my tutorials, and still get attendance counted so it really isnt that bad this early/depending on tutor I guess to be a bit late.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
so did u just not go to ur tutorial lol? or does it really take that long to find parking... glad i decided not to drive this year tbh. I saw people walk in like 30 minutes late in some of my tutorials, and still get attendance counted so it really isnt that bad this early/depending on tutor I guess to be a bit late.
Well, yeah, pretty much I didn't go. I emailed the convener right after though to notify her what happened. I probably fucked up by not just waiting long enough and kept on moving.
I've been pretty much at least 5 mins late for my tutorials so far, once I was even 20 mins late and attendance got counted.

In the morning it gets particularly packed. I arrived at about 9:30 and it was already full. They have only one large area that's close to where most of the classes are, and convenient for students. The other ones are too small and easily get filled up. Need to research the other parking lots on the other side as a plan B.

I drive as I live only 20 mins away, and getting parents to drop me off every morning is a hassle.

The carparks start to empty out every hour, as students sometimes only have one class or two.

They're planning to expand the next closest one to the West area, should be finished by next year at the least (con started in Jan)

Last edited:

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Parking gets full by 9am. It's worse this year because some parking on the east side of campus is now reserved and has barriers to block access. Your competing with staff and students.

Honestly if you only live 20 minutes away, why aren't you getting public transport or driving to somewhere with transport? It's probably going to be much cheaper long term than paying to park.

That being said, evening classes have plenty of parking. I just got a fantastic spot and I had plenty to choose from! :p

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Parking gets full by 9am. It's worse this year because some parking on the east side of campus is now reserved and has barriers to block access. Your competing with staff and students.

Honestly if you only live 20 minutes away, why aren't you getting public transport or driving to somewhere with transport? It's probably going to be much cheaper long term than paying to park.

That being said, evening classes have plenty of parking. I just got a fantastic spot and I had plenty to choose from! :p
Public Transport is about 30 mins (10 mins extra). Paying return with opal is probably like $5~. I park for an average of 5 hours a week, which comes to about 50c an hour, if my shitty maths is correct.

Too late anyway, I've already bought the annual parking pass.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
30 minutes is not that bad. My boss whinges 10 minutes on a bus is too far for her :lol:

My calculations differ. 13 weeks per semster, (I'll be generous and say 15 including exams) $370 for a yearly permit.

That's about $12.50 per week or $2.50 per hour.

Overall, quite reasonable. However depending on how often you travel to campus, it could be more expensive per week. Also not worth of it you can't attend classes.

You should look at arriving am hour before your classes. I know that might seem like more time to kill, but if you cant find a spot when people are leaving after there's, at least you can drive to Mac Centre and walk back without jeopardizing exams or attendance.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
On a Tuesday, I used to arrive at around 8AM to secure parking. If I was going to drive to campus I made the whole day worth it. I had structured my day that I would study from 8.30-12.15, eat and then attend my 1.00 tutorial and had back to back (to back) classes. I never attended Lectures besides those with exams (i.e ACST101).

I was pretty bad though, I didn't buy a permit for the entire time I attended MQ [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
E7A/B is flooded (Yeah not surprised) so building is evacuated plus lectures has moved elsewhere or been cancelled.

Last edited:

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I saw some comments that the e7a roof was leaking yesterday and people were using umbrellas inside.

I look forward to my lecturer ranting about this on Friday. He enjoys ranting about e7a and the "real world".

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
On a Tuesday, I used to arrive at around 8AM to secure parking. If I was going to drive to campus I made the whole day worth it. I had structured my day that I would study from 8.30-12.15, eat and then attend my 1.00 tutorial and had back to back (to back) classes. I never attended Lectures besides those with exams (i.e ACST101).

I was pretty bad though, I didn't buy a permit for the entire time I attended MQ [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And you never got fined?

Saw someone park on the lanes, little white slip in his wipers :p

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
There's free parking round the back of the hospital if you follow the street around

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)