InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Ive enjoyed every moment of my month off work

I wish I could be a full time uni student, I really do

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
As for People & Planet units, I think it's best to allocate one to every year unless your degree is organised in a different, precise way with few electives. I know people who do them in their first semester, and that's fine for them but you don't want huge pressure on your first year.

If you're an 'arts' person- do your People unit first. If you are a 'science' person, do your Planet unit first. That sounds simplistic and doesn't count for everyone, but chances are there is a unit you are interested in that's not necessarily in your degree program.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it best to knock out both the planet and people unit in the first year or should I space them out?

Additionally, what does day and external mean and what's the difference if any?
I'd leave them until later and do them in seperate semesters. It helps of your core subjects are not offered in each semester, plus if you ever need to meet other requirements (like something from a certain faculty or above certain credit points) you can use them to do so.

Day simply means you classes will be between 8am and 5pm. There is technically also night (5pm to 10pm) but a lot of units don't really have a distinction between these anymore.

External means you do not attend weekly classes on campus. Everything will be online. You may have to attend an intensive on campus day during mid semester breaks however. Final exams are on campus also.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Is it best to knock out both the planet and people unit in the first year or should I space them out?

Additionally, what does day and external mean and what's the difference if any?
Save your people and planet units until you have a gap in your semester because say a 2nd or 3rd year unit doesnt run every semester.

Day means that the unit runs normally i.e. during the day with regular timed lectures and tutes. External means you can enrol in the unit without having to have any in-face time except for exams. i.e. You watch the lectures online and if there are tutes, they are online.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
As for People & Planet units, I think it's best to allocate one to every year unless your degree is organised in a different, precise way with few electives. I know people who do them in their first semester, and that's fine for them but you don't want huge pressure on your first year.

If you're an 'arts' person- do your People unit first. If you are a 'science' person, do your Planet unit first. That sounds simplistic and doesn't count for everyone, but chances are there is a unit you are interested in that's not necessarily in your degree program.
I respectfully disagree.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
I respectfully disagree.
What do you disagree with? I didn't really explain further.

My original comment doesn't apply to all degrees and situations- but for your average arts or science student it does. If you have a degree with very few electives (like many Health Science degrees) then it's different.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. But first year students shouldn't feel a pressure on them* to do a subject they don't necessarily want to do. It's best to get the ~hang of uni~ then do it. Of course, that's not for everyone.

*unless of course, they are doing a degree program that they chose to do that is more narrow and precise.

Last edited:

Orwell

HSC
My suggested first year program suggests I choose a planet unit for the first session, so I guess I'll do that. It also gives me an option Academic Communication in the Social Sciences and Humanities or a People Unit, so I might just opt for the former in order to space them out.

Are there any stipulations for the People and Planet units? I read up a bit about them but I don't think everything was made clear to me. Can I pick units that fall into faculties I'm already studying for? Also, how important is it that I select units that really accompany my degree/are integral to me finishing the degree with adequate knowledge, etc... I just got the feeling that these units were to allow us to broaden our horizons.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
People and Planet units must be in seperate faculties- but one can be in the same faculty as your degree (like, I'm in the Arts, so my people or my planet unit can be Arts. Not both).

So... Planet, you could do an Arts subject, whilst for People a business one. That's just an example. Keep in mind that Macquarie does not have a Law faculty, it is under Arts so any Law unit would count as Arts. (people get that confused)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
If it's because of the People / Planet requirements... see if you can do one in Session 3. I wish MQ made the rules more clear.
Haha no I just failed my exam. So no graduating and all the joyous consequences that come with it

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
My suggested first year program suggests I choose a planet unit for the first session, so I guess I'll do that. It also gives me an option Academic Communication in the Social Sciences and Humanities or a People Unit, so I might just opt for the former in order to space them out.

Are there any stipulations for the People and Planet units? I read up a bit about them but I don't think everything was made clear to me. Can I pick units that fall into faculties I'm already studying for? Also, how important is it that I select units that really accompany my degree/are integral to me finishing the degree with adequate knowledge, etc... I just got the feeling that these units were to allow us to broaden our horizons.
What degree are you enrolling in?

And yes the people/planet units generally won't have anything to do with the degree you're studying they really are just to broaden your horizons.

Orwell

HSC
Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws, Majoring in Politics.

Orwell

HSC
Nevermind, it seems that they suggest doing both a people and planet unit first session.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
My cousin, who does Law / Arts did her people & planet units in the first semester of her degree. Dual degree students have to consider how they plan their programs, which you are doing.

TheMoney

HSC
Anyone here that does afin102 and is struggling hard for final?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Nevermind, it seems that they suggest doing both a people and planet unit first session.

had a brief look at your degree, POL101, 107 and 108 all have no prerequisites so really you don't have to start doing your people and planet units yet, you can use one of them and maybe do pol 107 as well for example. You will only regret using your people + planet early.

Orwell

HSC
had a brief look at your degree, POL101, 107 and 108 all have no prerequisites so really you don't have to start doing your people and planet units yet, you can use one of them and maybe do pol 107 as well for example. You will only regret using your people + planet early.
Alright, thanks for the headsup man. I'll have to really consider this then.

So, are you suggesting I do POL 107 in the first session in lieu of a people or planet unit?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)