MQ Student Election (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Tim Hendry's done more for the uni than any other student rep, Kylie. Have you heard of iLectures?

I really dislike him, but amidst all of his hippy bullshit, there are proven results. Having results in such a position (Academic Senator) is quite impressive, imo.
My ballot paper arrived today!

Tim Hendry was the one to get iLectures in MP3 format? God.

atreus

HSC
ippie said:
Who is this Nik guy, some king or something? I think i've seen his name before... in the MQ fortnightly publication (forgot the name).
Nik is the great great great great great grandson of governor lachlan macquarie (and the uni is named after him), so he is macquarie's heir. That's why people respect his opinion. it's got nothing to do with the fact that he is the current student member of council, and jarryd is now nominated to replace him.

X

xeuyrawp

atreus said:
Nik is the great great great great great grandson of governor lachlan macquarie (and the uni is named after him), so he is macquarie's heir. That's why people respect his opinion. it's got nothing to do with the fact that he is the current student member of council, and jarryd is now nominated to replace him.
A+ post right there. :rolleyes:

antisheep

HSC
i'm not sure that i'll even vote cos i don't really have a feel for it all yet but i was disappointed to only see 1 of the people running listing "reinstating a full student democracy" in their election promises cos I think that' pretty important

HSC
N/A
antisheep said:
i'm not sure that i'll even vote cos i don't really have a feel for it all yet but i was disappointed to only see 1 of the people running listing "reinstating a full student democracy" in their election promises cos I think that' pretty important
In terms of ideas, or what is actually realistically achievable?

antisheep

HSC
Well I think it should be done so I suppose realistically acheivable... I mean maybe it can't be reinstated within a year but moves towards it could be. As it stands we're one of an extreme minority that don't have a full student democracy. I think having someone who realises that it's something important elected would definitely be a positive thing.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
antisheep said:
Well I think it should be done so I suppose realistically acheivable... I mean maybe it can't be reinstated within a year but moves towards it could be. As it stands we're one of an extreme minority that don't have a full student democracy. I think having someone who realises that it's something important elected would definitely be a positive thing.

maka

HSC
Seriously, all a candidate has to do is find a way to reduce the cost of student living (via parking costs, textbook costs, food and beverage costs) and people will definitely vote for them.

I know it isnt that simplistic but people will vote for the savings in their wallet above any grandiose ideas about communal lunch times, having US style dorms leading to communal frat parties or some bloke who thinks being a book club member is a worthwhile achievement etc.

I am not anti student union but I think the union will work to the greatest benefit for all student if they can limit the cost of living for ALL students.

Selfish.... probably to an extent but the benefits would help all those at MQ rather just me or a minority.

X

xeuyrawp

maka said:
Seriously, all a candidate has to do is find a way to reduce the cost of student living (via parking costs, textbook costs, food and beverage costs) and people will definitely vote for them.

I know it isnt that simplistic but people will vote for the savings in their wallet above any grandiose ideas about communal lunch times, having US style dorms leading to communal frat parties or some bloke who thinks being a book club member is a worthwhile achievement etc.

I am not anti student union but I think the union will work to the greatest benefit for all student if they can limit the cost of living for ALL students.

Selfish.... probably to an extent but the benefits would help all those at MQ rather just me or a minority.
If you think that pig-trough politics is more important than having candidates with values, there's something wrong with you. A student rep's job is not to simply make things cheaper for students.

But of course, people will always vote for whomever they think will give them the biggest discount, not thinking it through: In the history of this university, has a student rep ever made anything actually cheaper?

At uni, students who vote for candidates based on their wallets are absolute morons. You're a total idiot if you think that there is the most remote possibility that a student representative can make anything cheaper for you, and double the idiot if you think that's what actually matters.

Edit: Jarryd's got a terrible campaign happening - I know his values sound like idyllic bullshit. But at the end of the day, I'm certain he'd do a better job on council than anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kegs

HSC
maka said:
But we dont have a union...

ippie

HSC
PwarYuex said:
If you think that pig-trough politics is more important than having candidates with values, there's something wrong with you. A student rep's job is not to simply make things cheaper for students.

But of course, people will always vote for whomever they think will give them the biggest discount, not thinking it through: In the history of this university, has a student rep ever made anything actually cheaper?

At uni, students who vote for candidates based on their wallets are absolute morons. You're a total idiot if you think that there is the most remote possibility that a student representative can make anything cheaper for you, and double the idiot if you think that's what actually matters.

Edit: Jarryd's got a terrible campaign happening - I know his values sound like idyllic bullshit. But at the end of the day, I'm certain he'd do a better job on council than anyone else.
ew, do people really do that?

jeez, don't they get that uni = business - haha that's how i see it.

pft terrible campaign? How about NO campaign!! The only sort of campaigning I see are those posters of those girls everywhere.

How many people even vote anyway?

X

xeuyrawp

Re your first points: ...What?
Re your last one: I think ~1500 at the most. I'd have to double-check though, to be sure.

ippie

HSC
I was expressing my disbelief @ those who vote for candidates that promise to make uni life cheaper.

anyway, realllllyyy 1500 people vote. hmm wait, there's 10k ppl within the student cohort, right? (or am i deluded?)

Kegs

HSC
Deluded. There is more than 30k. Last year was epic turn out. 7%...

kevinant

HSC
around 32000 cohort but i doubt many will vote...
I'll just vote randomly and put da candidate I know as first preference
However, I don't think it will really make a big difference for whoever is elected as there is only 1 sutdent spot for each committe. There are like twenties staffs in each committe and they could influence decision much more than just a "student member".

Kegs

HSC
It is not really about influencing decisions. It is more about having a student voice and making people aware of student concerns. Sometimes they dont even think of something but it is so obvious to a student.

eg. Uni staff werent going to send out an email to all students about election nominations until a couple of students told them it would probably a good idea. They were genuinely suprised...

ippie

HSC
oh shit 30k?!!?!

:|

wow sure doesn't seem like it. But then, as if everyone's on campas at any one time.

nikmueller

HSC
Full on abuse of nominees! Its not cool to slander, especially when they arent on here to respond. and straight out name-calling with no substance? Pwar, lets not let standards slip?!

These people are putting their necks out for all students remember - for no cash, parking-spot, food vouchers. Be critical of them and be fair.

Speaking of not wanting student-politicians on our Council, MP's John Watkins and Steven Pringle were both Student Members on Council at MQ

About the elections, before they started i did a survey of 35 people and found that 80%+ didn't know what University Council or Academic Senate were. I'm planning on doing it again after the elections and seeing if anything changed.

And about the nominees, i thought by now someone would have mentioned the fact daniel sharp has put up posters saying you should vote for him on student council. last time i checked there hasn't been any student council for over a year.

btw what is your call for Senate Kegs? who are you supporting if anyone?

N_M

nikmueller

HSC
However, I don't think it will really make a big difference for whoever is elected as there is only 1 sutdent spot for each committe. There are like twenties staffs in each committe and they could influence decision much more than just a "student member".
The student member on University Council is not a huge position in itself. Given that there is no 'student president' and no working student rep. body for 30k students, this person has a bigger role.

Also, they are appointed a Director of U@MQ. There are 7 other people on the Board. The person who is elected has a pretty substantial role in the company, formally and informally.

FYI: The Board is:
Mr Paul Bowler (President of Board) (DVC Operations)
Dr Marilyn Dodkin (Alumni rep on University Council)
Mr William Hughes (Formerly on MUSR Board)
Mrs Denise Osmand (Former MQ Chief Financial Officer)
Mr John Shepherd (Formerly on MUSR Board, Actuary and Accounting Lecturer)
Mr Robert Tongue (MQ Deputy Director of Financial Services and former Director of SAM)
Mr Michael Wall (NSW District Registrar, Federal Court of Australia)

N_M

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
nikmueller said:
These people are putting their necks out for all students remember - for no cash, parking-spot, food vouchers. Be critical of them and be fair.
Putting their necks out? I don't see any of them leading revolutions, lets leave the rhetoric at home shall we.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)