Muffler Tips (1 Viewer)

2006istheyear

HSC
Hi im not crash hot on these, but can anyone tell me that if i put a muffler tip on a stock exhaust will it make the exhaust any louder? i know its not going to make a hell of a lot of difference but will it improve the sound at all? or is it just looks

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
A regular tip will make no difference whatsoever to sound. There are some with internal membranes that can alter the sound of the exhaust.
I even remember one for sale on eBay a while back, with a metal membrane which vibrates to the gas flow, supposedly creating a sound like blow-off valve.

Jiga

A tip doesnt make any difference?

I dont know much about exhausts, but my car which I bought awhile back sounds heaps loud and Im 90% sure its a regular exhaust with a big tip on it. The exhaust is new so maybe it has something done to it, but I dont think so becuase its quite evident the tip was welded on something :confused:

EDIT: Im actually not sure if its a tip. Its like 4 inches long....

Last edited by a moderator:

pottsy44

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
A tip doesnt make any difference?

I dont know much about exhausts, but my car which I bought awhile back sounds heaps loud and Im 90% sure its a regular exhaust with a big tip on it. The exhaust is new so maybe it has something done to it, but I dont think so becuase its quite evident the tip was welded on something :confused:

EDIT: Im actually not sure if its a tip. Its like 4 inches long....
yes 4 inches is a tip and unless it has packing in the tip (extremely doubtful), it will not change the volume in the sound of the exhaust.

yes the tip is welded straight onto the end of your exhaust, after a little bit on the end of your exhaust has been cut for it to align with the rear of the car.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
I had a 2.5 inch tip put on my pulsar, it changed the sound quite alot. Although they actually cut the little exhaust off and put a 2.5 inch peice of metal onto the muffler. They didn't change the muffler or anything. Its just the tip, but it did change it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought tips were just for show and added onto the end of the exhaust without actually changing the sound (significantly).

Jiga

I dunno, I have a camry which in stock form virtually makes no sound out of the exhaust..... with my tip the exhaust is VERY LOUD. Im not talking alittle bit of noise, its very loud (And its like a deep sought of noise, closer to something like a V8 than a for eg corolla with a cannon type noise). Maybe something else has been done to the exhaust system, doesnt look like it though :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm... I wonder too. I'd like a bit of a nicer noise from my Civic at;
a) Minimal expense
b) Minimal modification to the stock car (to ensure I don't void warranty)- and preferably something reversible (I think catback?)

... so if that's the way to go... maybe I should get a tip too! lol.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
me and my mate went to a mechanic to add a tip on, and he told us that it wouldnt make mich of a differnce noise wise. the solution? well, since my mates commo had about 3 mufflers down to the engine, the guy cut off the one at the end and replaced it with a slightly larger than standard pipe and he added the tip onto it. now it sounds like a mustang :D

so yeah, shouldnt make much sound difference, but replace your ordinary air filter with a pod air filter (costed me about $95 including fitting to do it) and as you hit high revs you sho' will hear it!!

2006istheyear

HSC
DaddyK said:
It will only sound different if they make the little exhaust that comes out the back bigger. It wont make any difference at all if you just get the same size tip and put it on.
so if my stock exhuast is really small, and i add a really large tip onto the end of it, your saying it will make a better noise?? or did i read it wrong

Jiga

Yeah Id say upsize it! In my car, the previous owner replaced the stock twin outlet kinda configuration to just one big one, and then got the bigger tip welded to the new muffler one. And like DaddyK also said, theyve cut off the original one up to the required length.

So they can make a difference I think, just not if you use those cheap arse tips you buy from like Repco etc which you shove over the top of your current exhaust.

2006istheyear

HSC
oh ok whats the diff b/w a repco $70 and one of the ones ya talkin about?

and if i put say the one such as
on a small stock exhaust without modifying the actual exhaust could that produce any diff sound or just stay the same??

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Welding at muffler - change in sound
Slip-on tip - no change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)