Music 2 HSC Help :( (1 Viewer)

HSC
((Apologies in advance, I’ve never posted before))

Hello, I am a student going into year 12. I have chosen music 2 for the HSC and need some advice.

My teacher is intelligent and knows how to make students achieve excellence, but they often push me to tears. Usually because they think I am not practicing enough, despite my sincere efforts. Sometimes their scolding becomes unreasonable and they start using lesson time complaining about misunderstandings that they do not allow me to explain or start putting me down. They are very strict, and no matter what I do, I will never be enough. I am starting to become scared that it will only get worse, for I had a lot more time since it is the holidays. I’m not sure if I will be able to balance this with my other subjects.

A part of me is wondering if I am being to sensitive and I should just suck it up and go through with it? I have the decision of either continuing music 2 or do physics. My skill is perhaps a tad bit better in music but I get so much stress from my teacher. I’ve barely done anything for my other subjects.

What should I do? I managed to play Chopin’s entire Third Ballade at a moderate speed after about a month on it. Is this bad? Should I quit? I just fear for wasting my parent’s money because playing the piano is an expensive skill to learn. I also do not know where I would get another teacher.

Last edited:

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
the tough love teaching style can be productive but in your case it seems like it's the cause for demotivation and loss of confidence. and this is affecting ur other subjects as well which is concerning

I'm sure you're a gifted student of music but you need a teacher who is compatible with you and will bring the best out of you. maybe the strictness and scolding works for other students but it's harming you so

you need a different teacher for sure. not sure either where you can look for a diff piano teacher, you might need to search online and specify ur local area. do you have peers doing piano in music 2 as well? ask them too if ur able to

HSC
the tough love teaching style can be productive but in your case it seems like it's the cause for demotivation and loss of confidence. and this is affecting ur other subjects as well which is concerning

I'm sure you're a gifted student of music but you need a teacher who is compatible with you and will bring the best out of you. maybe the strictness and scolding works for other students but it's harming you so

you need a different teacher for sure. not sure either where you can look for a diff piano teacher, you might need to search online and specify ur local area. do you have peers doing piano in music 2 as well? ask them too if ur able to
Ah, thank you! I have asked around before, but I haven’t found much. Even if I did find another teacher, I fear that perhaps I am just a grossly lazy person, and the cycle will just repeat itself. And even if everything did turn out to be alright, practicing, playing, and learning the piano is so mentally tolling. I think I would rather quit and try my hand again at physics than continue <unless anyone knows other ways of finding teachers>. Sorry if I’ve wasted your time, this is all I’ve been thinking about for the past five hours or so.

Last edited:

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Ah, thank you! I have asked around before, but I haven’t found much. Even if I did find another teacher, I fear that perhaps I am just a grossly lazy person, and the cycle will just repeat itself. And even if everything did turn out to be alright, practicing, playing, and learning the piano is so mentally tolling. I think I would rather quit and try my hand again at physics than continue <unless anyone knows other ways of finding teachers>. Sorry if I’ve wasted your time, this is all I’ve been thinking about for the past five hours or so.
I'm sorry you feel disheartened abt this. I can assure you that I don't think the problem here is you being grossly lazy, but if music is taking this much of a toll on you then yeah it might be in ur best interests to no longer continue with it, as a HSC subject anyway. I'd recommend you still try finding another teacher by asking around and doing some research, perhaps speak to your parents about this if you haven't? you don't have to go through this alone. in any case switching to a less mentally demanding subject isn't a bad idea and you could always keep piano as a hobby just not as a HSC thing. dms open if u wanna talk more 🤗can't help you much on a practical standpoint but you seem upset and I'd be happy to listen

Sadoplop1

Banned
HSC
N/A
((Apologies in advance, I’ve never posted before))

Hello, I am a student going into year 12. I have chosen music 2 for the HSC and need some advice.

My teacher is intelligent and knows how to make students achieve excellence, but they often push me to tears. Usually because they think I am not practicing enough, despite my sincere efforts. Sometimes their scolding becomes unreasonable and they start using lesson time complaining about misunderstandings that they do not allow me to explain or start putting me down. They are very strict, and no matter what I do, I will never be enough. I am starting to become scared that it will only get worse, for I had a lot more time since it is the holidays. I’m not sure if I will be able to balance this with my other subjects.

A part of me is wondering if I am being to sensitive and I should just suck it up and go through with it? I have the decision of either continuing music 2 or do physics. My skill is perhaps a tad bit better in music but I get so much stress from my teacher. I’ve barely done anything for my other subjects.

What should I do? I managed to play Chopin’s entire Third Ballade at a moderate speed after about a month on it. Is this bad? Should I quit? I just fear for wasting my parent’s money because playing the piano is an expensive skill to learn. I also do not know where I would get another teacher.
your probably that type who cant stop talking back at the teacherr

End result: Teachers bitching at you 24/7

HSC
I'm sorry you feel disheartened abt this. I can assure you that I don't think the problem here is you being grossly lazy, but if music is taking this much of a toll on you then yeah it might be in ur best interests to no longer continue with it, as a HSC subject anyway. I'd recommend you still try finding another teacher by asking around and doing some research, perhaps speak to your parents about this if you haven't? you don't have to go through this alone. in any case switching to a less mentally demanding subject isn't a bad idea and you could always keep piano as a hobby just not as a HSC thing. dms open if u wanna talk more 🤗can't help you much on a practical standpoint but you seem upset and I'd be happy to listen
Ah, why are you so nice?? Thank you, I did tell my parents and am thinking about finding another teacher. What you have said is right. By the by, I love the emojis here. I hope you have a good day.

Cute-Duckie

HSC
The way I see it, if you stick with this teacher you should do physics. Easily. This teacher is making you stressed, taking time away from your other subjects, and thus you are not enjoying doing music 2.

However, if you can find another teacher, music 2 might be better in your interests. Especially if you are struggling to manage the music 2 workload (despite being overworked), physics will likely be similar if not more work as it is a very intense course, especially for year 12.

Do you have any conservatoriums near you? Theatres? Small piano concerts? I am doing singing for music 2, and the way I met my current teacher was through a small concert showcasing her students that she did. I then enquired about getting lessons with her through a mutual contact about a term after the concert, as I was not happy with my current teacher.

Look around online, ask any friends who do music 2 or 1, etc. If you can't find another teacher I think it would be in your best interests to drop music 2, but if you can find another teacher and you enjoy the subject then you might as well continue it.

Remember that your future career will also play a factor - most music programs at university require you to have music 2 level knowledge, and similarly some science programs require you to have physics knowledge.

Good luck!

HSC
The way I see it, if you stick with this teacher you should do physics. Easily. This teacher is making you stressed, taking time away from your other subjects, and thus you are not enjoying doing music 2.

However, if you can find another teacher, music 2 might be better in your interests. Especially if you are struggling to manage the music 2 workload (despite being overworked), physics will likely be similar if not more work as it is a very intense course, especially for year 12.

Do you have any conservatoriums near you? Theatres? Small piano concerts? I am doing singing for music 2, and the way I met my current teacher was through a small concert showcasing her students that she did. I then enquired about getting lessons with her through a mutual contact about a term after the concert, as I was not happy with my current teacher.

Look around online, ask any friends who do music 2 or 1, etc. If you can't find another teacher I think it would be in your best interests to drop music 2, but if you can find another teacher and you enjoy the subject then you might as well continue it.

Remember that your future career will also play a factor - most music programs at university require you to have music 2 level knowledge, and similarly some science programs require you to have physics knowledge.

Good luck!
Yes, I understand. The thing is, neither music nor physics will play a part in what I would like to do in the future. But physics seems like more of a subject I could brute force, with or without a teacher.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any music conservatoriums near me. I had also asked my music 2 friends (everyone my music 2 class plays the piano) about their teachers and they are either unavailable or not the best for one reason or another. I am definitely looking elsewhere.

Thank you for the advice, good luck to you too! ((If your HSC is this year?))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)