music + study (1 Viewer)

boycalledfox

now everyone's been told that it's counter-productive to listen to music (other than mozart, of course) whilst studying or trying to study. so who still does, and what's your favourite selection for this blatent disregard for reason?

i argue that with the aid of music i am able to study for longer and more effectively. this is because it manages to keep me half interested and gives me a reason to study as compared to feeling as though i am wasting away and twitching with boredom. however, i choose music with minimal to no lyrics, and softer/soothing rather than heavy (that's for when i get mental block or repeatedly screw up a maths problem).

Christine

beige member
HSC
it all depends on the subject. i can listen to music when i'm doing bussiness, legal and religion but not when i do english cause i lose my train of thought and i definately can't when i'm doing italian cause two languages at once just doesn't work....

i've been told a soloution to this could be to listen to italian music but i haven't tried this yet.... :p

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
yeh depends on what subject... if i'm doin something i need to think i need quietness.. if not i jus turn it uppp... :D

i dont listen to classical music or peaceful music etc.. i jus turn on my winamp or play my cds.. which is r&b, rap, hiphop mostly hehehe.. :D:D

Rosencrantz

Appearently baroque music is the most helpful music to listen to while studying. Me? I listen to what ever i have to hand, mostly something peaceful.

roo

HSC
i can only listen to music doing maths or art prac.. ohh + doing business notes :D

i tried listening to soothing stuff my mum gave me, i think it was enya.. just gave me a complete headache!

Rosencrantz

Enya huh? Off with the fairies (elves) then were you? :D

I have some good american indian style music and some african tribal music which i listen too, its quite soothing. I also reckomend (if you are into meditation of any sort) natural sounds and the like. Rain, forest, sea, etc. Very soothing, try not to fall asleep though, it sort of defeats the purpose of listening to music and studying :D

bex

HSC
in the car on the way to trials, my friend and i listened to the arabic station so the words wouldnt get stuck in our heads but we could still have some sort of background music on the way there...... its was quite good actually!

SkAnDi

HSC
I try to have music that contains

- no lyrics
- minimalistic lyrics
- foreign lyrics.

I find that when i listen to music that HAS lyrics, the music serves more as a hindrance, than as an advantage.

Music i use to drown out extraneous noise that might disturb me, and to form a pleasant soothing working environment so i can sponge up information.

Usually when studying i have

- trance (Tiesto, old Oakie)
- classical (heavy on the violin stuff, no on the organ stuff)
- opera (foreign language, bocelli!!)
- something Cafe Del Mar-esque, those smooth chillout songs, that are wonderful on the ears when you're like...say hungover.

I can't seem to listen to like Motorace, or somethign along those lines as they're too heavy on the beat and the lyrics and I just start to sing along :D

Rosencrantz

SkAnDi - if you like Opera then i strongly reckomend Karl Orff's Camina Burana, unless you can speak High Germanic then you'll be right.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by bex
in the car on the way to trials, my friend and i listened to the arabic station so the words wouldnt get stuck in our heads but we could still have some sort of background music on the way there...... its was quite good actually!
:D :D :D :D LMAO:D :D
thats so funny! when i had my trials and i was driving i was listening 2 triple m, and when i had the radio on it was normally the goose of the day section so when i got 2 the exams instead of coming up with a good compostition for change i kept thinking about how i could put this idiots story into my composition.:p

Jesar

THe way I see, it, is that music makes me study quite a lot better, but it usually runs into the lines of Nirvana (rip) , silverchair, or anything else that I tend to find on teh radio, although, Slipknot do make it kinda hard to study to dont you think? :confused:

SkAnDi

HSC
Man Baroque is trippy... it's like this happy majestic music.

Well the song i'm listening to is (i downloaded a Top 10 of The Baroque Period).

Let's see how helpful it is to my learning :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
when i listen to music i sometimes find myself writing the songs lyrics down instead of actually writing what i should be

bah

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
I always listen to really old favourites, cds that i have almost worn out and am really familiar with. Its really comforting to have Crowded House or Ben Lee or Jeff Buckley on cause i haev had the albums for years so its like a comfort or something and not at all distracting.
I like that Arbaic radio story.

ricometa

HSC
I listen to hardstyle and gabber when i study, it seems impossible but i love it
same wif sleeping i cant sleep without musk
cause its too quiet. . . .

Redgoddess

HSC
Mostly i just listen to what's on my ipod - frenzal rhomb, bad religion, horrorpops, misfits, rammstein, alice cooper, inxs... half the time i end up tuning out of the music anyway, but i need it cos i can't tune out of the other noise like tv, family etc.

Retrovertigo

HSC
N/A
Instrumental post-rock. Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, God is an Astronaut, The Samuel Jackson Five, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)