Music2...modes??? (1 Viewer)

gen4

G'day i was wondering if anyone knew how much if any we are suppose to knwo about modes?? I just came across it in some material we were given from school... but has never been mentioned in class .. if u do know please let me know!!! thankyou!! :)

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
yep, modes are in the HSC test.... come to think of it i better start studying them...:S:S:S. probaly releated to score reading and listening, like "is this piece modal, name which mode" etc... but maybe check past papers :S

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Modes as in Iolean, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mozart, Aeolian, Lochrian stuff??
Just think -

I
Dont
Play
Mozart
And
Liszt

Think of the James Stamp warm up - he tells us to play the scalic warm ups (no.6 i think) in all sorts of scales eg major, minor, whole tone,etc. so he has written them with no sharps or flats. No wait thats confusing - think of the piano keys... imagine that the black keys did not exist and play a scale starting on C - thats your Iolian, and starting on D is Dorian and E is Phrygian, etc... and these scales can start on any note you just gota know the distance between each note of the scale arghhhhh i duno how to explain but like... yeah just play the stamp exercises and youll know what i mean! And then you can use them for like improvising in jazz and stuff

gen4

G'day thanks heaps the piano visualisation helps, and i'll remeber little poem thingy.. i had that on paper but didn't kwno where to start!! thanks heaps!! btw what's the stamp excerices i don't actually know what u mean there :s sorry!!! but thanku SOOOOOOOO much :):)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
no worries! Oh um James Stamp wrote a warmp up study book for trumpet and its great! Its like mostly based on working on your airflow and its good for working on your range cos it helps you learn how to play in all registers low middle and high, without shifting your embouchure and letting the air do the work... except it was like $50 for a tiny book with only like 12 pages! a bit expensive... but you prolly wont need it any cos your already full good!!! Oh Gen you are amazing your such a great cornet player... your great... you GREAT!!! You are like my hero... its sad that stephs not in st marys anymore... shes no longer in the brass band world and its just not the same without her.... oh shes great too!! sory ok ill shut up now yeah... um.. modes are great arent they!

olay

HSC
oh buggary :S we haven't covered modes since yr 9 or 10 or something... :S what sort of q'ns could they ask? would it be like *hands us a score* 'What key is blahblah in?' and then if it's a mode..... :O HOW DO WE KNOW IF ITS NOT C MAJOR??????? :S [sorry guys i'm stressing today... :( i want to cry].

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
trumpet geek said:
Just think -

I
Dont
Play
Mozart
And
Liszt

Think of the James Stamp warm up - he tells us to play the scalic warm ups (no.6 i think) in all sorts of scales eg major, minor, whole tone,etc. so he has written them with no sharps or flats. No wait thats confusing - think of the piano keys... imagine that the black keys did not exist and play a scale starting on C - thats your Iolian, and starting on D is Dorian and E is Phrygian, etc... and these scales can start on any note you just gota know the distance between each note of the scale arghhhhh i duno how to explain but like... yeah just play the stamp exercises and youll know what i mean! And then you can use them for like improvising in jazz and stuff
I know them, but HEY!! I like the way you remember them! I take my hat off to you!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
olay said:
oh buggary :S we haven't covered modes since yr 9 or 10 or something... :S what sort of q'ns could they ask? would it be like *hands us a score* 'What key is blahblah in?' and then if it's a mode..... :O HOW DO WE KNOW IF ITS NOT C MAJOR??????? :S [sorry guys i'm stressing today... :( i want to cry].

just look carefully at the notes of the excerpt.... just because you see something has one sharp doesnt necesarily mean its in G major it could also be in E minor i know this sounds silly but so many people make such dumb mistakes that could cost them marks... also, the key may have modulated to the dominant or the subdominat or whatver... so look really carefully at the notes before you answer a question. Also, with contemporary pieces, they often use accidentals instead of a key signature so if you see no sharps or flats, dont immediatly think its in C major - think of all the posibilities... is it based on a pentatonic scale? modes? or does the work not have a key cos its atonal? etc etc... just check and read the score carefully before writing anything down!

gen4

one other thing....Olay said somthing btou if it's not in Cmajor... i dont' want to soudn dumb but I'mnew to modes... does this mean it can also be amode in any other key but liek ionian would start on D etc.. Maybe GAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

olay

HSC
oh guys i meant how do u differentiate modes from something being set in C major. i'm comfortable establishing diatonic keys, just not modes. because from what i gather modes are just the same thing as c major, but starting + ending on different notes. am i wrong in saying that? and then whats the diff between c maj and iolean mode???

Last edited:

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I know them, but HEY!! I like the way you remember them! I take my hat off to you!
wait which l is lydian? like or liszt? hehe

gen4

hmm that i don't knwo they are basically the same thing right??? but liek the difference between dorian and Dmajor is that there is no flats and sharps as far as i know isn't it'll all basically just starting on whatever note Say if Dorian you would start on the D then go up to D using liek below but it's basically about the spaces between so it would be t,s,t,t,t,s,t fort dorian etc I liek to set up a table liek this then work from there....

C D E F G A B C

T T S T T T S

I dunno but i think that's how it's suppose tobe done.. just note sure say if it was a mode in D major is there such thing?? would it just mean u stick to the spaces betweeen whch woudl be exactly the same but everytime there is a C& F sharpened.. really odn't get that but does it exist in other keys....?????

hmm i can't get them in line the tts etc is suppose to be inbetween the notes...

gen4

Hey who cares???to close now!! heheh good luCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
olay said:
oh guys i meant how do u differentiate modes from something being set in C major. i'm comfortable establishing diatonic keys, just not modes. because from what i gather modes are just the same thing as c major, but starting + ending on different notes. am i wrong in saying that? and then whats the diff between c maj and iolean mode???

c major is the iolean mode... actully every major scale is the iolen mode... but look at the score... The difference between C major and the iolean mode is ... that C major must have the dominant 7th chord of G7. which means that there is an F somewhere in the piece, which falls to an E and a B (leading note)that rises to a C (the tritone dissonance resolves!). Remember, the dominant 7th chord stipulates the key!!!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
trumpet geek said:
Just think -

I
Dont
Play
Mozart
And
Liszt
Haha or...

I
Dig
Playing
Monk
And
Lester

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
woah, thread revival.

or

I
Don't
Particularly
Marty's
Anal
Lubricant

:p

I would like to resurrect this thread :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)