Muslim Turbans trigger threat response by Average Aussies. (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
A MUSLIM-style turban is seen as a threat by the average Australian, even to those who think they are free from racial prejudice, psychologists have found.

A study of university students playing a computerised shoot 'em up game has revealed strong stereotyped bias against Muslim-looking people.

Innocent figures in the game were more likely to be shot at if they were wearing turbans or hijabs, the University of New South Wales researchers said.

Dubbed the "turban effect'', the trend was seen in both male and female shooters.

"People learn about negative stereotypes from their parents, their peers, their education and the media,'' psychology researcher Dr Tom Denson said.

"Muslims tend to be portrayed negatively in the media so the findings make sense, even in an otherwise tolerant western society like Australia.''

Dr Denson said he expected the stereotype would be even stronger in countries such as the US and Britain.

"As Australia has not been subject to Muslim terrorist attacks on its territory, other countries in the forefront of Muslim terrorism such as the USA and Britain may show an even stronger 'turban effect' than the one we demonstrated here,'' he said.

"However, based on the present data, we cannot distinguish whether this turban effect is due to negative stereotypes associated with Muslims or obvious negative stereotypes associated with terrorists - that is, a person with a turban holding a gun.''

The study found that male figures were far more likely to be shot than women, regardless of whether they wore headdress or not.

It also showed that angry participants shot more frequently at everybody, but happy people shot more at Muslims compared with angry or neutral-mood participants.

The researchers said happy people tended to rely more heavily on stereotypes.

"They are known to be less critical thinkers than people in negative moods,'' Dr Denson said.

He said that although the findings demonstrate stereotyping, the research, did not assess actual aggressive behaviour.

The study, involved 66 people, is published in The Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24030073-421,00.html

Yeah what's beneath it? :p

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
i don't need a study to tell me that australians are prejudice lol

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
your.knee said:
i don't need a study to tell me that australians are prejudice lol
no, it's obvious from every day experience we're the most bigoted, racist people in the world

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
no, it's obvious from every day experience we're the most bigoted, racist people in the world
Not really. That's more likely to be some European country like Sweden or Denmark. Japan's also an option.

Of course if some stupid Asian wants to get offended and call racism when an Aussie jokingly calls him slant-eyes, man up cunt.

There's a difference between dry humour and more deep-seated xenophobia such as in Scandinavia or Japan.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Slidey said:
Not really. That's more likely to be some European country like Sweden or Denmark. Japan's also an option.

Of course if some stupid Asian wants to get offended and call racism when an Aussie jokingly calls him slant-eyes, man up cunt.

There's a difference between dry humour and more deep-seated xenophobia such as in Scandinavia or Japan.
Tolerant countries like Germany and Japan never had anyone as bad as Pauline Hanson in their government

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Fucking Nips are rascist against whales. They are commiting genocide on them and getting away with it!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
Tolerant countries like Germany and Japan never had anyone as bad as Pauline Hanson in their government
Hahah funny.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
She was in prison making rap videos.

X

xeuyrawp

Slidey said:
Not really. That's more likely to be some European country like Sweden
In my experience, Australians are some of the most racist people on earth. Next to redneck southern America, Australia is one of the most racist cultures I've ever been in, in that it's got a mix of sheer ignorance versus institutionalised bigotry.

You mentioned Japan, but that's a completely different phenomenon - Australians are generally so stupid that they'll (like Americans) confuse a sikh man in a turban with an Arab in a kufiyah or whatever. In Japan, it's a culture of nationalism and preservation.

With regards to Scandinavians - I don't think I've ever read or anything like the Australian and American BS in a Swedish paper or on Swedish TV. I have no idea where you're getting the racism stuff from. :-/

Last edited by a moderator:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I love Scandinavia, but if you've interacted with them at all, you'd realise they're quite imperialistic and xenophobic, similar to Japan.

But whatever, Australians haven't really ever had a very good view of themselves or their country in the global scale.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Commie. Tell your government to stop wire-tapping.

X

xeuyrawp

Slidey said:
Commie. Tell your government to stop wire-tapping.
haha - well I'm going to see how it goes after the shock-news value has worn off... Despite what a lot of UK reporters are saying, there seem to be comparable laws in other European countries. *shrug* The law was passed while I was still studying, so I don't really know much past what I heard and saw on Deutsche Welle. I'm like a hermit at the end of semester.:(

Dom: Fucking lol. Was waiting for someone to post that. :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I'm just amused at how the majority of Swedish politicians didn't even know what bill they were voting for.

As it turns out, it was probably introduced to spy on Russia, since 80% of its traffic goes through Sweden's cables (IIRC), which would explain why the government is so tight-lipped about it.

X

xeuyrawp

Slidey said:
As it turns out, it was probably introduced to spy on Russia, since 80% of its traffic goes through Sweden's cables (IIRC), which would explain why the government is so tight-lipped about it.
Yeah but noone in Europe trusts Russia...

sams057

HSC
loll ..umm maybe coz the bad guys were the actual ones with turbans and a gun and the whole objective of the game was to shoot the bad guys. lol funny story

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
I like to kill everyone in games. Example, like in one of the Hitman games there was a hotel mission. The goal was to kill like one dude. My goal was to kill every single person in the hotel. :3

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
not really surprised. Muslims are stereotyped as the bad guys in the post 9/11 world from a western perspective. does not mean they are actually bad. or that those who ARE fighting are bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)