• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muslims declare fatwa on ..............YOGA (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
A TOP Islamic council in mostly Muslim Malaysia has told Muslims to avoid yoga because it uses Hindu prayers and encourages a union with God that is blasphemous.

The latest edict from the National Fatwa Council reflects a growing swing towards a conservative brand of Islam in the multi-ethnic country that has prompted worries among non-Muslims.

"There are other ways to get exercise and a peace of mind," council chairman Abdul Shukor Husin said in Putrajaya, the country's administrative capital, today.

"You can go cycling, swimming and eat less fatty food."

"For us, yoga can destroy a Muslim's faith. But this is not a matter for the non-Muslims to be concerned about because its not imposed on them. We are looking out for the Muslim community," he said, noting Egypt and Singapore had issued similar rulings.

Fatwas or religious edicts are not legally binding, but they are highly influential in Malaysia.

The new ruling comes hot on the heels of another edict against young Muslim women wearing trousers.

The National Fatwa Council said that by wearing trousers, girls risked becoming sexually active "tomboys".

Gay sex is outlawed in Malaysia.

In May, the Government dropped a proposal to restrict women from travelling abroad on their own after an outcry from women's groups.

About 40 per cent of Malaysia's population of 27 million are non-Muslim, including sizeable minorities of Christians, Buddhists and Hindus.

Complaints of religious discrimination have mounted along with the turn towards Islamic conservatism.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24691038-23109,00.html

:apig:

Lentern

HSC
I've never understood why Fred Nile doesn't get along with the conservative muslims, he has so much in common with them.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
But this is not a matter for the non-Muslims to be concerned about because its not imposed on them.
A muslim could very simply not declare themselves as such, and continue to practice their religion as well as their choice of exercise and such, e.g; Yoga.

What's most relevant though is that the thread title suggests "all muslims" take this view. However, it's only in Malaysia. Moreso, muslims should already know all this, atleast devout muslims should. It's common sense than bending and folding infront of the opposite sex, even in clothing which is non-concealing, is considered inappropriate.

EdmondDW

HSC
I like christian and buddhism better...Muslim is a little bit violent...

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
i love muslims...such peaceful people...especially the taliban such a great regime did lots for their country...but they arent as good as robert mugabe is

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
i love muslims...such peaceful people...especially the taliban such a great regime did lots for their country...but they arent as good as robert mugabe is
HEZBOLLAH!!!

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
There's no point, all religions hate gays, so they can stfu (those who are against homosexuals)

:hippie:
I am not against them as people, I disapprove of what they do, i do not judge them as people

banco55

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I am not against them as people, I disapprove of what they do, i do not judge them as people
Distinction without a difference.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Maybe im understanding incorrectly, but aint that a contradiction?

Personally i disapprove of what those clerics, 'muslim leaders', most outspoken imams, mullahs, and extremists do and say.
So what if yoga is based on hindu stuff. If you're a muslim, then obviously ur not a hindu, duh! This doesnt mean that were becoming hindu's by performing yoga. This is just another stupid-ass fatwa made by religious extremists (as in taking religion to the extreme, not in the suicide-bomber sense).
Here is another case of non-violent islamic extremism relating to other religions: the ps2 game 'God of War' was banned in the U.A.E. because the main character kills a god. As far as i know, ares does not exist, and neither do zeus, poseidon, athena, or any other mythological greek god. THAT is another case of stupid stupid (non-violent) religious extremism (btw thats my all time favourite game series).
Also i listen to satanic death metal (see top image in my sig), that doesnt mean i renounce islam and take up satanism!
I just enjoy the music.
Just as i enjoy God of War.
Just as some muslim people might enjoy yoga.

EDIT: adding extra comment: why oh why are prominent muslims such buttheads and make the rest of us look as bad as them :(

Last edited:

Mumma

HSC
The sad fact is that practicing Muslims get their rulings from these religious leaders. The very idea of thinking for yourself and using the scriptures directly as a source of law is deeply frowned upon, the argument going that the average person cannot comprehend the complexities of the Quran/Hadith without years of religious tutoring.

This sort of ignorance isn't going to continue forever in the world we have today. Within a generation or two Islam is going to slither into irrelevance just like Christianity is today.

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
But the thing is, they think, in their own opinons, that yoga is like hindu, or whatever their opinions are, and since they're in a "high position" they make decisions as to whether muslims should do this or do that. In islam there is no special position of people. For example christianity has priests and bishops and archbishops and a pope. The only 'positions' in islam is prophet, which sadly arent being given out by god anymore, and imams. Even still, imam isnt a set position, anyone can become an imam and lead the prayers at a mosque or at a persons house. I could if i wanted to, im just too shy, and i dont know the words, and my arabic isnt in an arabic accent like the other imams...
Im pretty sure that if someone wants to call a fatwa on something, that all muslims should agree with it, not all muslims of a position that does not increase their heirarchy among regular muslims. Imam job is to lead the prayer, im not sure what mullahs and sheikhs are, probably rich muslims. But just because they have a certain view, that doesnt mean that its correct, or that it should be imposed on other muslims.

At least the fatwa is only in malaysia. Lucky i live in a country where islam is NOT the main religion. I follow islam because it is what i believe in, but i dont like it when imams and sheikhs enforce their views on other ppl, especially when their views are quite stupid.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)