my ATAR??? (2 Viewers)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
First of all you should not refer to low-scaling subjects as "shit", because the term is subjective. Sure, you may find some humanities not worth the scaling, but people who ace humanities won't have that experience. The difficulty of a certain subject for a person really depends on the person doing it, as I said in my previous post.

But otherwise you are right.
Yar.

You reckon you could get a band 6 in textiles, visual arts, engineering studies etc etc, EvoRevolution?

Anyway, humbenj it depends on your school. Do you know if your school is usually in the top 200 or top 300 at least?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: still confused about the HSC???

but on that, if my school is setting tests that are say 10-15% harder than most of the state then shouldn't we be scaled in respect to school as well?

or what does the school part mean, because i heard somewhere that if you are like at a school, who set tests which are harder than another school, shouldn't that be taken into account?
If your tests are harder than the rest of the state then when you sit the exams your cohort should do better and thus the moderation will adjust your internal marks accordingly.

Say your schools sends in a range of marks of 50 - 70 but in the exam your cohort's range of marks is 70 - 90 then your school's assessment marks will be moderated to the same range as the exams and thus you will range from 70 - 90 - thus accounting for your school's harder marking and assessments.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Ok will let me tell u this to make u fell better about the HSC. If u are doin hard subjects e.g. chem, phys, 4u, 3u, eng advanced and u get 70+ in chem, phy and eng and 80s in 4u and 3u... u will def get atar of 85 +. But if u r doin shit subjects then it is harder. For example one of my dads friends daughter did shiter sub then me, she go band 6s in most of her subj and i didnt get any 6s and i still bet here atar wise. So just work hard and you should easily get it.
Really? Wow, I wish I did more extension subjects :(

HSC
My friend did the "shit" humanities subjects and got 99.75 ATAR 2009.
Two years before that, my friend, who did "shit" humanities subjects (plus drama, plus visual arts, plus no maths) got 99.55 ATAR 2007.
Two years before her ^, another friend of mine did the "shit" humanities subjects, and got an ATAR of 99.8 2005.
All duxed it.

Just work hard, and ignore anybody who goes on about "shit" subjects.

humbenj

HSC
my school???

my school i think is in the top 50, or top 100 at least in the state.
i'm aiming for an atar of 84+
however i just got the average mark in an English assessment worth 15% and i got just below in ancient history - worth 15% and i beat it by a little bit in maths - worth 15%

would an atar of say 84 be achievable or not if i was average at my school in the internal exams?

Last edited:

humbenj

HSC
my school and atar?

my school i think is in the top 50, or top 100 at least in the state and is said to be about 10% harder than other exams.
i'm aiming for an atar of 84+

would an atar of say 84 be achievable or not if i was around (usually on) average at my school in the internal exams?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My friend did the "shit" humanities subjects and got 99.75 ATAR 2009.
Two years before that, my friend, who did "shit" humanities subjects (plus drama, plus visual arts, plus no maths) got 99.55 ATAR 2007.
Two years before her ^, another friend of mine did the "shit" humanities subjects, and got an ATAR of 99.8 2005.
All duxed it.

Just work hard, and ignore anybody who goes on about "shit" subjects.
Do note that they are very much in the minority. You'll find most people who get 99+ do some sort of combination with Maths Extension 1, Advanced English, Chemistry, Physics and something else, usually Maths Extension 2, maybe an English Extension.

Anyway, I know that if I get state average for all my subjects, I'm getting 92. If I get P25, or beat 25% of the cohort, I get 84. So do the high scalers, and you're pretty much guaranteed a high ATAR. Of course if you don't like it, don't do it - I just happen to like my subjects, the high scaling an added bonus.

My point is, do subjects you like. Take heed to scaling if you want high ATAR's, not to say, "You should do them", but to say, "You might want to reconsider how high you're aiming".

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Re: still confused about the HSC???

my school kind of sucks at explaining what happens with the HSC.

i do 10 units (2u maths, adv eng, ancient history, economics and 2u SOR)
i only got 60% in the first assessment in both english and ancient history (but that was about the average mark for both)
and i only got 67% in my first maths assessment (i beat the average)

they were all worth 15% but i heard somewhere that, that is only 7.5% or something in the end.

my schools tests are said to be about 10-15% harder than those of the rest of the state.

i was disappointed with my marks, however i know i am 6th in my class for maths (like 18th/60-65) and i can do better (thats EXCLUDING 3u boys)
likewise, in english i am ranked around 15th-25th/92 out of the adv boys, excluding the extension students.

i am aiming at around 84+ ATAR

so i have a few questions:
- does someones ATAR include them against extension students (in like maths and english) when it comes to scaling?
- because my school is supposedly 10-15% harder than some others will that be taken into account?

thanks
1/ Only if the extension students do those subjects. For eg 3U maths kids are taken into consideration for 2U scaling as they also do 2U.

2/ Yes, though the process of moderation as Aerath said :)

Bold: Yep, because your ATAR is 50% school assessments and 50% HSC assessments.

the marks do not matter, ranks internally do
its because they take into consideration the different difficulties tests in school have (since they're different)
Not just ranks, but the mark gaps between the ranks ;)

Last edited:

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Do note that they are very much in the minority. You'll find most people who get 99+ do some sort of combination with Maths Extension 1, Advanced English, Chemistry, Physics and something else, usually Maths Extension 2, maybe an English Extension.

Anyway, I know that if I get state average for all my subjects, I'm getting 92. If I get P25, or beat 25% of the cohort, I get 84. So do the high scalers, and you're pretty much guaranteed a high ATAR. Of course if you don't like it, don't do it - I just happen to like my subjects, the high scaling an added bonus.

My point is, do subjects you like. Take heed to scaling if you want high ATAR's, not to say, "You should do them", but to say, "You might want to reconsider how high you're aiming".
Lol, Shadowdude, you can't prove everything through statistics. What if only a minority took the humanities, as opposed to taking the sciences and maths? [I'm pretty sure that's the case, but cbb checking].
There are plenty of people in my school (myself included) who currently have an estimate of 99+ with all humanities and english subjects (and maaybe one science. But no maths) and they're not getting like 99/98 in all their subjects [even if you come first in Mod at my school, the highest mark they give you is 96 I believe. And if you come 2nd, even if it's by 0.65% or something ridiculously small like that according to raw marks, the mark on your report will be 94]. They're getting good marks, but not fantastic ones.
If you're aiming for the 99.95s and getting good marks throughout school, you're clearly an able student who will succeed in whatever subjects chosen. I don't believe anyone should 'reconsider' choosing subjects like Mod and Eco and Exthist just because they're aiming high. If you work hard in them [just as hard as you're required to work in maths and science], you'll get the high ATAR.
And as for the "do the high scalers and you're guaranteed a high ATAR" - I'm not sure about you, but to me, there's a pretty big difference between a 92 and a 99+....

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Lol, Shadowdude, you can't prove everything through statistics. What if only a minority took the humanities, as opposed to taking the sciences and maths? [I'm pretty sure that's the case, but cbb checking].

I meant at the upper echelons. Where your posed situation is true. If the minority did sciences and maths, I'd be saying the opposite due to trends.

There are plenty of people in my school (myself included) who currently have an estimate of 99+ with all humanities and english subjects (and maaybe one science. But no maths) and they're not getting like 99/98 in all their subjects [even if you come first in Mod at my school, the highest mark they give you is 96 I believe. And if you come 2nd, even if it's by 0.65% or something ridiculously small like that according to raw marks, the mark on your report will be 94]. They're getting good marks, but not fantastic ones.

I believe anything near 99 as an estimate is wrong, because you have no idea how you'll be against the state. Besides, internal assessment marks mean absolutely nothing, it is the rank and differences in mark - so if your top mark in the class is 6% as the assessment mark, and then one of you gets 100 in the HSC exam - the person who got 6% assessment gets 100 HSC mark.

If you're aiming for the 99.95s and getting good marks throughout school, you're clearly an able student who will succeed in whatever subjects chosen. I don't believe anyone should 'reconsider' choosing subjects like Mod and Eco and Exthist just because they're aiming high. If you work hard in them [just as hard as you're required to work in maths and science], you'll get the high ATAR.

I know, I proved you can get 99.95 with CAFS, Society and Culture, General Maths, Standard English and all those subjects. The catch? You need to basically top the state in all those subjects to get it. I'm saying that if you want a high ATAR, note that you are fighting an uphill battle especially if you have the weight of crappy scalers.

And as for the "do the high scalers and you're guaranteed a high ATAR" - I'm not sure about you, but to me, there's a pretty big difference between a 92 and a 99+....

Refer to my comment about estimates. Using my method, your predicted ATAR is, at P50:

AdvEng 32.1 64.2/100 (2)
EX1 37.4 37.4/50 (1)
EX2 37.0 37.0/50 (1)
Math 31.4 62.8/100 (2)
MX1 42.1 42.1/50 (1)
Econ 32.5 65.0/100 (2)
ModHist 28.6 57.2/100 (1)
Agri 19.8 39.6/100
Agg: 365.7/500
ATAR: 89.70

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
I believe anything near 99 as an estimate is wrong, because you have no idea how you'll be against the state.
Dude, are you seriously suggesting you know more about making estimates than James Ruse teachers who have been doing this for years, using much more advanced and sophisticated statistics and programs than you and seen very accurate results come from it all? O_O

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh well, if you're from James Ruse - then it's okay =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)