my computer's going really slowly... (1 Viewer)

kaylz

HSC
i'm pretty sure it's just all clogged up from all the shiz i've downloaded. how can i clear it up? it's a mac g4. i threw out my manual and stuff, figuring i wouldn't need it. help? thnx

goosiegoo

HSC
It depends on how slowly its working. If its just lagging a bit it'd probably be fine to just give your computer a good clean out. That is, get all the stuff you've downloaded, put it on discs and then delete it from your computer. How much space do you have left on there? Because, with me, when i get down to about 1 gig storage left (haha) my computer (mac G4) starts working pretty damn slow. Also, little things like making sure you turn your computer off every night... and crap. Haha.

But if its working reeaaallly slowly you could always do a wipe of all the data... and start from scratch. It'd most probably work much better after that, as long as it isn't something else thats making your computer slow.
If you wanna do a clean wipe then back up all your data (more than once...)

I'm not sure of the exact procedure for wiping your computer, so if you do wanna do that you might wanna look it up. That manual above might have it in there. :D

Hope that helped?

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, the backup option is the most easiest one to do. Also, you could Repair Permissions in Disk Utility to improve the speed and stability of applications.

Z66R2V

HSC
You could try deleting everything and reinstalling osx.

You can do that by getting your restore cds, putting them in, holding down c and restarting.

Z66R2V

HSC
Lol. Why upgrade to a G5 when Intel Macs are out?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Actually yeah, the reason it is really slow is that it is a G4. Get an Intel.

goosiegoo

HSC
I have a G4 eMac and it works perfectly fast... and i've had it for 4 years. It never gives me any trouble (it works better than my sisters clogged-up G5 iMac). It's just about how well you take care of it.
But i would recommend repairing the disk/ disk permissions (its in disk utilities) or re-installing OS.

cl3nta

HSC
just backup all your stuff and format your disk it's the best option. Sure you can try various programs, in the end you'll format so might aswell do it now. Since it could take a fair while (idn 4-5 hours to get your pc fully operation with all progs) I suggest doing it right now or starting next week friday :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)