My new student organiser website (1 Viewer)

lbft

Geek
HSC
Hey everyone.

I'm making a website to assist students with time management (reminders, marks graphing, that sort of thing.)

I'm looking for some suggestions as to features people want, so I'd really appreciate it if you could have a look at http://www.practicalpupil.com/ and email me your suggestions at the address there or post them in this thread.

One thing I'd like to note is that forums and notes and stuff like that is not on the agenda - this site does a far better job of that than I could ever do.

Thanks a heap!

Last edited:

lbft

Geek
HSC
Yep, definitely. Depending on how much it costs me there may be some unobtrusive ads (but if I can avoid it I will, coz I hate ads - and definitely no popups/popunders/large loud flashy irritating things.)

The one thing that I don't know will be free would be SMS reminders, because they do cost to send (although I can get a good price on them.) Depends on if anyone's willing to donate or if ads make enough money to at least partially cover the cost. I can't do reverse-charge SMS (which would be more convenient for everyone) or anything like that because the set-up costs are waay too high.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Sweet.

Perhaps you could contact one of those free sms sites and see if you could work out a partnership - advertising for ability to send free sms's with them through a script.

The biggest problem I think you'd have with this kind of site is trying to get people to actually stick to a schedule/timetable. I know every organisational thing (calendar, diary etc) I've setup myself has failed. Needs something or some kind of incentive which I cannot think of atm.

Here's a thought that would be good - though difficult to setup :D (note: ideas may be out-there and a little scrambled :)) ...

Collaborate with all schools in nsw or even aus to provide updated, accurate information and resources for due dates on assessments and tasks. So that I can just logon to the site and see what assessment tasks and possibly even standard homework I have due, and alongside it have links or docu's of resources etc. Then have the ability to do a printout checklist which puts in order the most important and/or nearest due date tasks, so you can start from the top and work your way down.

Three different options for receiving all the info/reminders: sms, email, and you could make-up a small little program which runs on your computer and accesses the info from the website/servers. Or maybe work out a deal with microsoft to incorporate your program/system into msn messenger.

Going even furthur if you could somehow hoax all teachers in schools in nsw or aus to make a detailed list of all work done on each day of school and all homework or whatever set..... then you could give basically access to the complete school day to people who sign-up on your site. So if say I was away sick for a day, I could just logon to the site and find out exactly what I missed and catch-up before the next day.

Web cams of classes accessible on the site? :D

"Practical Pupil, replace your school diary" :D

Hope that helps so far.

... Ideas = lack of sleep (I know).... happy sleeping :)

cheers

lbft

Geek
HSC
I'm still seeing what I can do with regards to covering the cost of the SMSes, although for various reasons I'd rather have advertising on practical pupil to cover the cost of SMSes than use a free SMS site's adverts because I would have more control over the actual messages.

A reminder/notifier program is a great idea! I will definitely work on that.

Another great idea is teacher/educator involvement. I certainly can't see it working on a large scale, but if a teacher could use it as a platform for providing information to their class, that would be great.

Incentives for sticking to things? Hmm..that's tough. Perhaps the notifier program for your computer could <s>nag</s> remind you somehow (if you wanted it to.) Maybe it could give you a lollipop for every successful study session :p

Thanks for the ideas.

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
i really lyk the idea... how long before its actually up and running...?... ill bookmark it now then shall i?... :)

lbft

Geek
HSC
If everything goes to plan, I would like to have it up within a few weeks (although I will still be adding features after that.)

No need to bookmark, I'll send you an email when it's up and running if you send a blank email to notify at practicalpupil dot com (and I'll probably also send an email to anyone who emailled me a suggestion.)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Looks nice..
Damn i really would like:

study timetables
printable weekly, monthly and yearly planners customised to your subjects

now though, for hsc and trials =)

lbft

Geek
HSC
The answer to that is, I'll launch it as soon as I can. I'll stick with my initial timeframe of "a few weeks".

The thing is, I have uni work to worry about, which obviously takes priority over this. I don't want to rush the development and produce a half-arsed website that is useless. I'm going as fast as I can!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)