My School won't let me do 10 units.. (1 Viewer)

yeah_boy

HSC
Okay so I HATE Visual Art.. I have this awful teacher and its his first time EVER teaching a year 12 class and this year it was his first time ever teaching senior students, up from year 7s, and he doesn't know anything and he has completely ruined art for me.. I hate the work, I seriously cannot do it, every lesson angers me, its a waste of time, i cannot picture myself doing anything for a major.. My first test mark was 2nd out of 90 people.. end of year 11 it was like, average.. I can't bring myself to do any work because it angers me and I just can't do it anymore because I hate it so much..

Anyway my school won't let me drop it.. we HAVE to do 12 units and i would be fine with that but I will do so bad in art... I hate it soo much.. What should I do? I'm not starting any assessments etc

absorber

HSC
is that because of a compulsory subject at your school other than english, say, SOR? if not that's kinda bullshit and they should let you drop

yeah_boy

HSC
No not at all.. we're just a normal public school.. my year has like 330 something kids if you were wondering because 90 kids do art. lol

absorber

HSC
330? Seriously? That's huge... I've remembered now though. I think you have to complete 12 units for year 11, and seeing as the marks don't matter that much, I suppose either you'll have to change subjects or keep it and drop when yr 12 starts. There's no choice because for year 11 it's a syllabus requirement to do at least 12 units, I think...Or maybe it was 11...

yeah_boy

HSC
330? Seriously? That's huge... I've remembered now though. I think you have to complete 12 units for year 11, and seeing as the marks don't matter that much, I suppose either you'll have to change subjects or keep it and drop when yr 12 starts. There's no choice because for year 11 it's a syllabus requirement to do at least 12 units, I think...Or maybe it was 11...
Yeah it is big, I see people i have never seen before everyday lol. But in the beginning of year 12 we had over 400, but lots dropped out. Apparently the year 11s coming into the school next year are supposed to be the "biggest year ever" and we're getting more portables. Yay!
Oh and hasn't year 12 started now though?

absorber

HSC
Oh right. Sorry I'm not thinking well tonight >.>
Yeah 2010 hsc you can drop whatever you want just need 10 units, drop art, school can't stop you. Either that or make it difficult for them by doing deliberately horrible in it (no real risk because it wouldn't be counted in your ATAR if that was the case)

swathard

HSC
Okay so I HATE Visual Art.. I have this awful teacher and its his first time EVER teaching a year 12 class and this year it was his first time ever teaching senior students, up from year 7s, and he doesn't know anything and he has completely ruined art for me.. I hate the work, I seriously cannot do it, every lesson angers me, its a waste of time, i cannot picture myself doing anything for a major.. My first test mark was 2nd out of 90 people.. end of year 11 it was like, average.. I can't bring myself to do any work because it angers me and I just can't do it anymore because I hate it so much..

Anyway my school won't let me drop it.. we HAVE to do 12 units and i would be fine with that but I will do so bad in art... I hate it soo much.. What should I do? I'm not starting any assessments etc
Do you think that if you contacted BOS, you'd be able to explain your situation to them? There may be a rule that doesn't permit your school to place such restrictions on your HSC. Worth a try. Good luck!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
i am not sure but some schools want their students to do at least 11 units up until their first assessment that way the student will know what they excel in. This is what is happening at my school they dont want you to drop down to ten units but if u must then they let you otherwise they will tell u to keep it until next term.

So maybe ur school is like that if not then u should really contact the BOS

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad

I can totally relate to you, my school forces us to do 12 units, even if some girls have already accelerated in 2 units, they still have to do 12 (which is a total of 14), it sucks!
I hate biology so much, my teacher is hopeless, she goes through everything so slowly and then we have to rush when we get near assessment tasks, so we have to teach ourselves pretty much everything! I really want to drop bio, but my school won't let anyone do less than 12 units.

Similar thing happening to my friend, except that she already accelerated in 2 units (dance), but she wanted to drop maths because she's struggling so much, but the school won't let her because according to my year coordinator, dance "scales badly". so my friend now has to do a grand total of 14 units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)