My Study Method (1 Viewer)

nomore3x5

Music Mogul
HSC
Hey Guys,
I'm having serious problems at the moment with studying.
If I study in a quiet room (my bedroom, library etc) my mind wanders.
If I study with noise/music I concentrate on whats happening around me and no matter what I find something to distract me.
I have always lived a lifestyle which revolves around music, I've been going to concerts ever since I was 3 and for example I went to 5 gigs last week and thus have music in my head 24/7, its my life and my passion. I have no interest in any of my subjects as when I chose them I had no idea of what career I wanted, now I want to enter a career in music marketing.
I have a terrible memory and can hardly remember anything school wise too!
I have a 13 year old sister who annoys the living day lights out of me and every 2nd weekend a 3 year old brother who my father believes takes priority of school.
Also, I live in a small house where it is hard to escape from anyone and you can hear/see everyone from wherever you are. I find it hard as hell to keep my desk tidy as it is constantly piled with books/sheets and I never seem to have time and I only work 2 hours a week!
Anyone.. HELP!
Email me: nomore3x5@gmail.com
or post here.
Thanks
Rach

Cab31

HSC
Maybe you can break ur stidy time up into small amounts interspersed with music breaks. E.g. Study for half an hour, have a 15 min break, study for half an hour then 15 min break. etc. If u have trouble studying, then try to pay extra attention in class. If it goes in the first time, its much easier to relearn. It has been proven that the best form of study is done in an environment that is as close as possible to the environment that recall is needed in. So having music playing isnt going to help you when it comes to HSC time, because your brain will have more trouble recalling information as its in a totally different environment.
Try and manage your time more efficiently. I didnt have much time during yr 12 because i was always training. However, every time i was in the car on the way to training, i took a textbook and a pencil and read things and made notes. That turns out to be an extra 5 hours a week of study where i would have been doing nothing. Little things like that can make a difference when you dont have much time.
Hope that helps :)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
As Anthony Robbins said "Use what makes you happy to live your life with Passion" <- Notice the importance of passion, it has a capital.

He also said "Habit makes mastery. Mastery equates results"

Combing both, as a fervant Robbinian, here's what Anthony has to say on the subject:

If you want to study hard, as CAB31 says, you need to mix business with pleasure. As such, whilst I don't think you should take 15 minute breaks, pace 30 minutes of study to one song. Using the duration of songs to govern your breaks.

Also, you've gotta appreciate the importance of repetition and structure to studying. I'm not saying make a study plan - I don't, I think it's important that you don't just go all out with 5 hours of study for 1 week then burn out. What I've found to work is to do just a little bit more each night until you're at the peak of your studying capacity.

I hope this helps.

P.S - If I go well in a subject, I'll often buy myself something music related. For example, I just went well in legal studies, so tonight I bought myself the new NOFX DVD. ^___^. I shall lock my door, lock myself away from my troublesome brother and mother, and unwind...letting Zen infuse my brain.

In summary:

- You can't change your nature
- Music is something to embrace, not distance yourself from
- Use music during your breaks
- Reward yourself after you go well in tests/assignments/practices.

Most of all, LIVE LIFE WITH PASSION.

HSC
Don't start off thinking you can do 4 hours straight, firstly do 30min then the next day do 1 hour, then do 1hr 30, then 2hours etc..
thats how I went from doing only 1 hour study a day, to 5 :D

NightShadow

HSC
i think...music is the only thing that inspires you...or tahts what you may think...through time you've grown dependany on music thinking its your life the only thing...

slapslap...

pull yourself together man!!....go to some park...for a while stop the music..and just listen to the birds sing and people walk past...or wather in the park...relax...psychological detox...

btw...i am serious...try it...dontuse music...you may have psychological become dependant.

heybraham

HSC
do what i did when i had the same problem. go to a camp, just go out to the country. you'll learn to love the serenity that silence brings, the silence becomes as moving as music. that's what i found, and now i can take the silence, just take a major break from music and you'll enjoy it over time. hours, days, weeks, dw you won't die, in fact it made me appreciate music more because it wasn't pumping through my ears 24/7, when it did play, it was the highlight of my day (or week sometimes)

i think you kinda have a music addiction, you crave music because you just wanna rid of the awkward feeling inside of you whenever it gets completely silent.

the love for silence will come naturally...well, at least it did for me, now i'm beginning to enjoy studying because of the silence it brings. (dw going off music isn't as hard as kicking off heroin, your brain isn't supposed to be filled with music 24/7, silence is as natural as drinking water.)

hope this helps

vojnik

HSC
Listen dude just chill out. Take it one day at a time. Start monday and try to study for 30 minutes...but 30 minutes of all out fuken studying, just study with nothing else in your head...do that for a couple of days and by thursday see if you can last an hour. All you need for long hard study is a routine...once you get used to studying 30 min a day then try and hour..then 90 min..then 2 hours..by the time you get to 2 hours a day, studying will be nothing.

Last edited:

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Gavrillo said:
As Anthony Robbins said "Use what makes you happy to live your life with Passion" <- Notice the importance of passion, it has a capital.

He also said "Habit makes mastery. Mastery equates results"

Combing both, as a fervant Robbinian, here's what Anthony has to say on the subject:

If you want to study hard, as CAB31 says, you need to mix business with pleasure. As such, whilst I don't think you should take 15 minute breaks, pace 30 minutes of study to one song. Using the duration of songs to govern your breaks.

Also, you've gotta appreciate the importance of repetition and structure to studying. I'm not saying make a study plan - I don't, I think it's important that you don't just go all out with 5 hours of study for 1 week then burn out. What I've found to work is to do just a little bit more each night until you're at the peak of your studying capacity.

I hope this helps.

P.S - If I go well in a subject, I'll often buy myself something music related. For example, I just went well in legal studies, so tonight I bought myself the new NOFX DVD. ^___^. I shall lock my door, lock myself away from my troublesome brother and mother, and unwind...letting Zen infuse my brain.

In summary:

- You can't change your nature
- Music is something to embrace, not distance yourself from
- Use music during your breaks
- Reward yourself after you go well in tests/assignments/practices.

Most of all, LIVE LIFE WITH PASSION.
They're some good ideas! Thanks! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)