Myth in the Ancient World--AHST101 (1 Viewer)

Yar_Shrabi

burrrrrrrrrrrrrah!!
HSC
Hi i was just wondering what 'myth in the ancient world' is like. Has anyone done this before, and do u have to read a lot in this?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
i did it last year. it was a great unit.

If you like ancient history then you will enjoy myth in the ancient world. Though i must warn you, there is alot of work involved if you want to go well, especially given the really really fat-arse textbook you get. You learn over 4 main civilisations. Luckily, the textbook is actually interesting, and if myth is something you enjoy, then reading the textbook is actually enjoyable. The assessments consist of 2 tut papers (15% each), 1 essay (30%) and an exam (40% i think).

hope that helps :)

X

xeuyrawp

Yar_Shrabi said:
Hi i was just wondering what 'myth in the ancient world' is like. Has anyone done this before, and do u have to read a lot in this?
Heya.

Cyan- thanks for the good info.

I've heard exactly the same thing in that it requires constant reading. My friend said that you can just do your reading (it's pretty straight-forward) the night before, or on the way to uni, and you'll be fine.

The exam is a week ahead (says cyan on msn), which is good so you can collect your thoughts and write a proper paper.

I'm doing the subject, too, because it looks the bomb.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Passed it without a textbook, but yeah, lots of reading, but its all very interesting so it shouldn't be burdening.

X

xeuyrawp

Waht are the 4 theologies they do? Egypt, Rome, Greece, Persia?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm, as i remember:
* Egypt
* Near East (Mesopotamia/Babylon/etc)
* Biblical
* Greek
* Roman

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Hmm, as i remember:
* Egypt
* Near East (Mesopotamia/Babylon/etc)
* Biblical
* Greek
* Roman
Biblical? As in Classical Judaism? *shudders*

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Genesis Myth mostly, but its very interesting.

Particularly the Apocrypha and the discussion on the Fallen Angels :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
i would definitely recommend the textbook though. it is helpful, especially during preparation of the exam. And yep, as i forgot to point out, you get the exam questions a week in advance, but this is during the time of other exams, so staying ahead of the content is the best way of going well. There is biblical stuff, but very little of it. the main civilisation is Greek and Roman (the lecturers speciality) and we do a little bit of Egyptian, Mesopotamian and bibical myth.

In terms of the exam, it is 3 hours and there are a total of 4 sections, each with 3 possible essay questions. So you write 4 essays, one from each section. Each section is roughly arranged as one from each time period (1 Greek section, one Roman section, one miscellaneous section-Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Biblical- and the 4th section is sort of miscellaneous as well). Basically, you need to know your shit fro each civilisation :) keeping to knowing one or two civilisations in depth will only get you so far.

Yar_Shrabi

burrrrrrrrrrrrrah!!
HSC
AsyLum said:
Passed it without a textbook, but yeah, lots of reading, but its all very interesting so it shouldn't be burdening.
so AsyLum if u didn’t have a textbook did u still have a lot to read ? ?

X

xeuyrawp

Yar_Shrabi said:
so AsyLum if u didn’t have a textbook did u still have a lot to read ? ?
Look. It's simple. Asking what subjects have little to read is silly. If you think you can find a low-reading subject and do well, you're kidding yourself.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Look. It's simple. Asking what subjects have little to read is silly. If you think you can find a low-reading subject and do well, you're kidding yourself.
now that is being blunt

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
I enjoyed it overall but some of the lectures can be REALLY boring...I remember last year one lecturer had a habit of turning off the lights so his Powerpoint slides could be seen better.
That was lame..."Um History Guy, how do you expect us to take notes?"
But overall it was really interesting and you even get to watch an episode of "Hercules"..heh.

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
Hehe..never thought of it that way.
Yay for threads degrading..I'll help this cause by adding that I just got home from a night out and am fairly plastered...and whilst writing this reply I almost forgot about the toasted cheese sandwhich I was making and could conceivably have started a fire if left for much longer.

Umm...anyways even though it was a *lot* of work I'd recommend AHST100 if you're interested in myths, makes you see them in new ways.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
And there are hot guys/girls depending on which way you swing in the course.

X

xeuyrawp

Cyan_phoeniX said:
Darkness in the lecture rooms can be used for such great things. Class-A scapegoat if you happen to sit next to a chick. :p
Yeah, it always good to blame your flatulence on other people. heehee.

AsyLum said:
And there are hot guys/girls depending on which way you swing in the course.
Yay, finally! There are a lot of hotties in Phil132, but I ended udp having to go to the night class. All my other subjects were mediocre at best in terms of hotness.

X

xeuyrawp

Yar_Shrabi said:
thanx for the info ppl
..and i think i will do it next semester :uhhuh:
Cool. I don't know anyone who's doing it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)