Naming Esters (1 Viewer)

Matt2233

HSC
When naming esters composed of an alkanoic acid with two name, such as ethanoic acid and acetic acid, which name do you use to name the ester?

For example, when ehtanol and methanoic react, is the product ethyl methanoate or ethyl formate?

Thanks for any help.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Same difference. an ester is formed when u react a alkaNOL and an alkaNOIC acid. with naming esters.... for eg. the product of methanoic acid and butanol... is called butyl methanoate... the oate is added to the acid and you chop a few letters off the alkanol. with regard to ur example, stick with the "ethyl methanoate " cause it is easier to remember and they are never going to asking you (i think) questions with formate and the other names

Last edited:

Matt2233

HSC
Same difference. an ester is formed when u react a alkaNOL and an alkaNOIC acid. with naming esters.... for eg. the product of methanoic acid and butanol... is called butyl methanoate... the oate is added to the acid and you chop a few letters off the alkanol. with regard to ur example, stick with the "ethyl methanoate " cause it is easier to remember and they are never going to asking you (i think) questions with formate and the other names

Thanks for th help, was just a tad worried as the answers in my book were using the common names of the alkanoic acid in the ester.

blake.stuart

HSC
Its structural name is ethyl methanoate but the IUPAC prefers the use of the common name for methanoic acid - formic acid. Therefore, you may well be asked something to do with alkyl methanoate or alkyl formate (where alkyl refers to the name of a given alkanol such that ethanol = ethyl, propanol = propyl)

Also, it should be noted that that acetic acid is the same as ethanoic acid (acetate = ethanoate).

Finally: Propanoate = propionate, butanoate = butyrate, pentyl = amyl and pentanoate = valerate. However, these are not, to my knowledge, common or taught in HSC Chemistry so you shouldn't expect to need them for an exam but research for an assessment might require them. That's how I found them at least.

proletariat

HSC
he wants everyone else to copy his answers so that his standard response becomes average and band 6 is easier or harder to achieve for others :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)