naruto (1 Viewer)

clarkey2825

HSC
hey this may sound stupid?
but does anyone watch naruto? do you think this would be a good relative text for belonging??
thoughts please?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I would advise against using any popular culture text, especially anime (unless it's a classic like the Miyazaki films, and even then warily), in the HSC as a text.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
'09ers are officially the dumbest hsc year to have ever existed thus far.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I thought of Naruto as a joke... so i'd advice not doing it.

But i am using and have used anime in my prelim exams - i was just smart and called them japanese animation instead of anime and i stuck to somewhat believable ones (IE ones that did not involve any supernatural themes at all).

MHSoR Student

HSC
N/A
Naruto is an excellent related text for Belonging in my opinion, as the idea of "bonds" is undoubtedly one of the major concepts addressed in this text, and throughout the series, Kishimoto addresses this concept numerous times, with the most notable examples being Naruto's struggle to belong at the beginning of the series, Gaara's struggle to belong (which can be juxtaposed with that of Naruto's), the Naruto vs. Sasuke battle in the Valley of the End (which was also the scene I used in Section III of my Area of Study exam), the concept of the "Will of Fire", and even the character Sai, to a lesser extent. Basically, the major ideas relating to Belonging in Naruto all involve some of its major characters (Naruto, Sasuke, Gaara and Sai), and one can either address one of these characters' back stories in an essay, or link two or more of them together. On top of all of these concepts, many excellent visual techniques used by Kishimoto to convey his ideas on belonging (for example, the statues at the Valley of the End, which juxtapose the two groups to which Sasuke belongs to, the Kanji on Gaara's forehead which means "Love", and a scene at the end of the Naruto vs. Gaara battle, in which a leaf falls from a tree and lands on a pile of sand on the ground, symbolizing the reconciliation of the alliance between Konoha and Suna) can also be mentioned.

The greatest thing about Naruto as a related text is that it does not only address the concept of belonging in one way or another (something even most of the prescribed poems by Peter Skrzynecki tend to do), but addresses this concept through the back stories of numerous characters in different cases and situations, meaning that a lot can be written about this text in relation to belonging. However, not all of this needs to be addressed in an essay, since there is not enough time and space to do so anyway. Because there is so much more belonging-related material in this text than what is required to write about in an essay, as long as this text is understood, one can easily enter the Area of Study exam without the need to worry about whether or not his or her related text can be used to answer the question asked in Section III, since one can choose to write about either Naruto, Gaara, Sasuke, Sai or even link the stories of two or more (though I would not recommend more) of these characters together, depending on which case suits the question the best. And choosing a flexible text is something which I believe is extremely important for this current Area of Study given by how specific it is, which means that it is not uncommon to walk into the Area of Study exam for Belonging only to find that one's related text cannot be used to answer the specific question asked in Section III, though the choice of a good text like Naruto can prevent this from happening (more information about my views on this current Area of Study can be found in my reply to this thread).

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
lol, its good to use a related text that you like, but naruto? you dont watch/read anything better?

kenshinx77

HSC
A guy in my class that does eng ADV actually did naruto and guess wat..

he got 9/20 for his port folio report

so if you are satisfied with that mark, do DO NARUTO:)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
A guy in my class that does eng ADV actually did naruto and guess wat..

he got 9/20 for his port folio report

so if you are satisfied with that mark, do DO NARUTO:)
may be he just sucked at writing it.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL naruto, when I was like watching the last few eps it seemed like such a good related especially now when naruto continually refers to Yukimaru and the whole "home is the place where someone is thinking you" and then goes on about the whole bond stuff with sasuke and the other jinchurikis haha..saying that I reckon quite a few people will think of doing it so proli best to stay away from it. That and you sorta don't sound sophisticated choosing such a text despite how well you discuss it.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
If your completely adamant with using Naruto, at LEAST, use the Manga. At least it'll make you sound on par with those who permit to using Graphic Novels. And don't any of you guys downplay the integrity of the graphic novel genre (albeit, they are just comics, but Graphic novel just sounds better doesn't it?)

MHSoR Student

HSC
N/A
If your completely adamant with using Naruto, at LEAST, use the Manga. At least it'll make you sound on par with those who permit to using Graphic Novels. And don't any of you guys downplay the integrity of the graphic novel genre (albeit, they are just comics, but Graphic novel just sounds better doesn't it?)
Keep in mind though, that using the Manga instead of the Animé has one disadvantage, which is the fact that music cannot be discussed, which means that in terms of sound techniques, you would only be limited to discussing the occasional sound effects.

But even if you choose not to discuss any music, I don't think it matters at all whether you use the Animé or the Manga, since they both tell the exact same story, address the same concepts and use the same techniques (other than the lack of music in the Manga, as mentioned before). The only advantage I see in using the Manga is if you are going to discuss a part of the series that has not yet been shown in the Animé, and even then, I doubt the marker would know if you've chosen to use the Animé, yet have referred to materials that are only presented in the Manga at the time when the essay was written anyway. Also, I don't understand at all how "sounding on par with Graphic Novels" helps one to gain more marks in an essay.

ilinh

HSC
Don't recommend it but you can pull off anything if you have the sophisticated language and right terminology...

Or so what my teacher says..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)