Need a calculator for 4U! (1 Viewer)

Guage

HSC
Howdy

I'll be doing 4U starting Monday. I currently own the fx-82au, my bro has the fx-82au PLUS (which I find better).

Seeing as I'll be doing ~2hrs Math a day for the coming 13 months, I may as well get as good a calculator as I can within regulations.

What are my options? Heck, I'll pay over $100 if that's gonna help me in the long run.

Cheers

The Nomad

HSC
You don't need any special functions for the 4U course. Just the trigonometric functions and addition/subtraction...but I like the Casio fx-100AU, looks better than the fx-82 :p

Guage

HSC
You don't need any special functions for the 4U course. Just the trigonometric functions and addition/subtraction...but I like the Casio fx-100AU, looks better than the fx-82 :p
Cool, no weirdo functions...lol @ fx-100AU...used that in Yr 7-9!

- Anything better than fx-82AU PLUS?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, make sure your calculator is allowed into the exam room, no point in spending big $$$ on a calculator you're not allowed to use.

By the way, two hours of maths a day? Yeah, right.

Guage

HSC
Hmmm I'm looking at images of these now, but hard to tell which is best (all the BOS approved calc's)

• CANON F720
  • CANON F720i
  • CASIO fx-82AU
  • CASIO fx-82AU PLUS
  • CASIO fx-82MS
  • CASIO fx-82NASER
  • CASIO fx-82TL
  • CASIO fx-83WA
  • CASIO fx-85MS
  • CASIO fx-85WA
  • CASIO fx-95MS

• CASIO fx-100AU
  • CASIO fx-115WA
  • CASIO fx-350MS
  • CASIO fx-350TL
  • CASIO fx-580
  • CASIO fx-901
  • CASIO fx-911Z
  • HEWL-PACK HP8S
  • HEWL-PACK HP10S
  • OFFICE ONE 720
  • OFFICE ONE 3000

• RSB FB 350MS
  • SCHOLAR KD-350MS
  • SHARP EL-509V
  • SHARP EL-520WG
  • SHARP EL-W531HA
  • SHARP EL-531RH
  • SHARP EL-531VH
  • SHARP EL-531WH
  • TANDY EC-4031
  • TEXET Albert2 (TX 890)
  • TEXET Albert3 (TX 895)
  • TEXET Albert5 (TX 842)

Yeah, make sure your calculator is allowed into the exam room, no point in spending big $$$ on a calculator you're not allowed to use.

By the way, two hours of maths a day? Yeah, right.
I was including class time!

shaon0

HSC
haha my mate has a calculator that can deal with complex numbers, and its on the list of 'legal' calculators...can't remember exactly which one it is tho...
Yeah, i had that one till one of my friends lost it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think there's also a legal calculator that can do definite integrals.

The Nomad

HSC
Cool, no weirdo functions...lol @ fx-100AU...used that in Yr 7-9!

- Anything better than fx-82AU PLUS?
The fx-82 and fx-100 are exactly the same as calculators (from what I can see, I have seen both)...they just look a little different.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I haven't been using a calculator since Term 1. Much better in my opinion. I always tend to muck things up using a calculator (butter fingers combined with exam nervousness), plus I'm too slow at number punching :(.

Oh yeah, I have this really old one (casio I think) just for irregular trig angles and logs and other various stuff. But apart from that the 3U and 4U course doesn't need it because unlike 2U there's no major calculation dependent applications like that in series, and even those I can get right to the nearest number most of the time.

Last edited:

m1tch37

HSC
The fx-82ES is significantly better than the fx-82AU. But alas, it isn't allowed.

untouchablecuz

HSC
I haven't been using a calculator since Term 1. Much better in my opinion. I always tend to muck things up using a calculator (butter fingers combined with exam nervousness), plus I'm too slow at number punching :(.

Oh yeah, I have this really old one (casio I think) just for irregular trig angles and logs and other various stuff. But apart from that the 3U and 4U course doesn't need it because unlike 2U there's no major calculation dependent applications like that in series, and even those I can get right to the nearest number most of the time.
newtons method son

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
newtons method son
Depends what the first approximation is.

But yeah you're right, I usually do use a calculator just for the irregular trig angles as I said, and then work my way from there without a calculator. Sometimes I'm like a decimal point off (for like 4 dp), which doesn't really affect my answer as I usually give it in 2dp or 1dp, depending on the context of the question.

00iCon

HSC
haha my mate has a calculator that can deal with complex numbers, and its on the list of 'legal' calculators...can't remember exactly which one it is tho...
Yea, the Fx-100AU
Got it, stole it off my younger brother :p he paid $35
That's 'cos i was using a Texas Instuments TI-83Plus, but it's graphical, so i swapped it after the SC. That set me back $99 in year 7 but it'll help in uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)