Need advice about dropping a subject (1 Viewer)

Safiya

As Shadows Fall
HSC
ATM I'm doing English adv, mathematics, legal, society, accounting, and business. I am thinking about dropping society subject as I am more interested in focussing on my other subjects that will be more likely to scale me up, The PIP (Personal Interest Project) which is worth 30% and is marked externally will take to much time out of the time i need for the more important subjects. Should I or shouldn't I? Help! Only got a week to decide!

Last edited:

Blackalicious

HSC
well in my opinion you should drop it and concentrate on your other subjects

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yes me too. you dont need additional units if you work hard enough. there's no such thing as having such a bad day that you bomb an exam. all it meant was you werent prepared. just keep minimum units and you'll be sweet.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
There are lots of things that could contribute to a bad day, but the chances are usually quite slim.

Such as..having the flu on the day.....not being able to sleep.....stomach ache.....etc..

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, too many units is bad...trust me, i did 13, not fun!

but don't do ten, optimum is prbly 11, 12 if u can handle it

so maybe drop society, and think about taking an ext english or maths unit. i think it would be well worth it

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Extra units is a good idea because IF you do 10 units, screw up an exam (due to whatever reason) and you're the type who catastrophises, you're going to PANIC and think F*** I SCREWED MY HSC, NO CHANCE OF (insert dream course here) NOW! and this may have a detrimental impact in the performance of your other exams. However if you did have extra units, then you'll just think "no worries, nothing is lost, just gotta make sure I do well in the upcoming ones"

Trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience
However if society does take too much time, then you should definitely drop it

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It all depends on whether keeping the extra units will be detrimental to your HSC.

That's something we can't help decide as we don't really have much clue of your capabilites.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
uh oh...i don't like the sound of 10u being risky cos im hanging on to ee2 for the time being for the hell of it....but if the subject takes up alot so much time and energy time than that is a GUARANTEED bad factor, which could be more influential than doing only 10u

santaslayer

HSC
i thought 10U was heaps risky, i stuffed up a sub in yr 12 but i was lucky in that i had an extra 2 Units to fall back onto

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
i thought 10U was heaps risky, i stuffed up a sub in yr 12 but i was lucky in that i had an extra 2 Units to fall back onto
I reckon, I would have gotten like 74 if my physics counted, Remember the higher the risk the higher the rewards

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
if ur pretty confident abt doing well in 1o units , then go ahead n drop it .....but if u don't feel confident , then keep it 2 be on the safe side.

arisu

I'm doing 12 units
english maths ext 1, japanese ext 1, business and food tech.
i want to drop food tech but i'll be stuck with 10 units (with 2 extensions)..
i'm not too confident with 10 units but i do think the extra 2unit will be kinda too much for me?

if i keep food tech, i have assignments to do .. from the very beginning it was a back up and i don't plan to put in any effort, it's just there incase i stuff up my maths or something.

would you suggest me to drop and study hard for other subs or should i keep it and just leave it there anyway and not bother to work on the assignments?

santaslayer

HSC
food tech sucks for scaling.....ur better to risk 10units and put all ur hard work in it rather then wasting ur time on food tech. (i know this is contradictory to my previous post but different situations always for different soloutions...lol)

04er

HSC
I would only drop it if you have more than 10 units after the change... like me :) I have 11 units :D But then, if you are really confident, just go for it ;)

HSC
i'm confused here. anyway i'm in yr11 right now and i want to drop the subject but i don't have any subjects which build on extensions. i don't really like ipt alot but i can't change courses since the times for me to change to modern history or biology has clashed with my other classes and there's waaaaaaaaaaay too many people in all the classes. so i decided to drop to 10 units till i read this thread. so if i don't drop a subject and keep the remaining 2 units, does that mean the 12th unit (or the subject with the lowest mark) counts for your hsc and uai mark if you don't drop it and you might have an extremely crappy mark for that exam while on your other subjects your marks are really good? dammit, i'm confused :mad: !!!

Last edited:

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
if u wanna drop one, drop the one u r worst of and least enjoy la did da di da and talk to ur teachers n stuff to see what they think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)