Need help choosing a first motorbike (for learner)... (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'm surprised. I suppose it may be possible. I post on what is possibly the largest Australian riders forum, and you would the first person anyone was aware of to get anything like this done. If you posted this on the forum of thousands of members, everyone would be interested/curious/skeptical.

There have been some remarkable exceptions out there. I know of a guy (from that forum) who through some feat managed to get a DR800 (this is an 800cc single cylinder) certified as learner legal. I think the RTA makes mistakes/doesn't understand their own system. However I may be wrong in your case. Maybe it is possible. It's certainly unheard of in popular circles.

When did the rta verify it?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
06.. Well if that's the case it's OK now because I have a full rider licence. Next week I recieve my renew registration letter and I am now curious to see whether it has LAMS on it. The inspection officer was all over the bike but had no objections. You could be right, he may of made an error.
Hmz I was planning to sell the bike sometime this year and considering it's approved learner legal, It may attract more buyers but now that you mentioned the idea of error, I best make some calls first.
Yah, I post on Netrider too.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
06.. Well if that's the case it's OK now because I have a full rider licence. Next week I recieve my renew registration letter and I am now curious to see whether it has LAMS on it. The inspection officer was all over the bike but had no objections. You could be right, he may of made an error.
Hmz I was planning to sell the bike sometime this year and considering it's approved learner legal, I would have attracted more buyers but now that you mentioned the idea of error, I best make some calls first.
\
If it's really lams, bugger making calls, put it on ebay as learner legal and profit. So long as it's written on paper as such, It's not immoral or illegal to do so.

Yah, I post on Netrider too.
I only post in 'bike reviews, and thoughts". You're aware of the many threads where people have asked "lol can I restrict a CBR600, the kits are available from europe?" and the forum zeitgeist is like "lol no"?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Nah I'm a new member, I will search though. I can't believe I didn't discover the site earlier, it's awesome.

Do you meet with the members? They have ride days/meets, would be great to meet up and cruise around for a couple of hours.

ks21

HSC
anyway thanks for ur input guys!

my flatmate who owns a r1 suggests I go out this weekend to dealers and sit on a number of different bikes and see which one I feel comfortable on (for my size, etc) and then get out of there. He reckons he has connections (with dealers n mates..hopefully not stolen), etc, lol and will get me a good price for a bikes (that I like) within my budget (well i hope so atleast).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It's pretty shit, I stopped posting because you're not allowed to express yourself at all, they'll ban you straight away for anything, and they're all stupid backwards cunts. I posted one joke from bos (something pretty mild and funny), and after being a member for 5 years, with ~800 posts, I was banned without a single warning ever. I'm spoiled by BOS liberalism.

But they're okay, normal people if you just want to go motorcycle riding with them or whatever.

quik.

HSC
Graney, check out perthstreetbikes or cbr250.com if you're after communities who can take more of a joke.

OP, if your budget tops out at 4-5k, I would suggest private sale. I would suggest private sale to anyone, unless you're buying new. Lot more bike for buck, so to speak.

As far as models go I'd suggest the gpx250, honda spada, zzr250, balius and zeal. If you're after a sporty you can probably find a cbr250r or a rough zx2r or something.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
VTR's are probably the best all-round 250 ever made (not quite as good as spada's, but the spada's are old now). I'd be stoked to own one, and I've been on my full licence for years.

Though this quality is reflected in their resale value.

forbes_mitch

HSC
learners arent allowed to ride anything bigger than a 250 for their first bike. my friend just happened to get his motor bike L's and he is riding a yamaha WR250F, and that things hammers.

quik.

HSC
In NSW the LAMS system means you can ride up 660cc, provided the power to weight ratio falls under the limit.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
So I've been looking around for bikes. I think I'm finally over the sports phase, having ridden my friends ninja and decided I liked the cb250 at the course more.

So what's recommended for commuting? I've been eyeing cb400s, across, gs500. Reason I've taken an interest in the mid sized engines is that my old mans expressed interest in taking it out every now and then.

Budget of ~5k.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
So what's recommended for commuting? I've been eyeing cb400s, across, gs500. Reason I've taken an interest in the mid sized engines is that my old mans expressed interest in taking it out every now and then.

Budget of ~5k.
They're all awesome all-rounders. The across has a boot for a 6 pack.

Though if you're talking about the new CB400, probably out of your price range.

Look at DR650, DRZ-400sm. Get a supermotard. Everything you preferred about riding a naked bike, taken to the extreme. More flickable/rideable than anything. The best motards will pass superbikes on a tight enough road. Some of them aren't far behind in the straights, at least until you hit 200km/h. You will mono it. You will cut sick with some stoppies.

At least try to take a DRZ-400sm for a test ride. I promise you'll be an instant convert.

I love big 80's 4-cylinder naked bikes- Z650, XJ650 (learner legal with 70hp, but a fair bit of weight to keep the power-weight ratio in reason), although the reliability may be a bit of a chore now if you're a non-enthusiast..

For 90's interpretations, google XJ600, Zephyr 550. Both would be awesome learner bikes that'll keep you happy for a long time, if you can find a nice one.

A big trail bike, with regular rims, but grippy road tires, is 90% as fun as a motard. Any big traily is a great road bike.

Keep in mind what I mentioned ages ago, you'll be paying ~400 extra a year for any bike over 300cc, due to greenslip scaling in NSW. Big bikes are more expensive than cars to register. Is it worth it?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Omfg how could I forget the vtr250, seriously wouldn't mind one of those. I don't think my dad would be worried about an extra 400 to put it on the road, he's a bit too heavy for a 250.

Also, abandoning all idea of a new bike, finally realised what a stupid waste of money it'd be. Having looked around at a few shops, I'd rather just spend it on gear.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah, you'd get bored of a cibby two fifty. I did.

go 30hp or go home.

A GPX would suit you.

quik.

HSC
Im currently around 80kg and have been around 95 on the vtr250, if that helps. On the highway it vibes a fair bit but it has good low down grunt and it will take me from 90 to 110 quick enough if I need to.

JSchaefer

HSC
Learner so must be power< or equal to 250cc

friend just bought a Honda CBR250 - goes alright, looks good...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)