Need help from Year 11, 12 students or higher (about subject selection) (1 Viewer)

starmk53

HSC
N/A
Hi guys I'm having a bit of trouble picking my subjects, i don't really have a favourite subject but im into business etc.
I want to do something business related when im older (probably accounting)
These are the subjects I am thinking about picking, but not to sure if they are necessary for accounting or if theres somthing else i should do instead. i want to get the highest Atar i can

Business studies

Advanced English
Advanced Maths
Accounting TVET
Hospitality (probably going to drop in year 12)
and im not sure between:
PDHPE (im pretty good at it)
Legal Studies
Society and culture

thanks guys

Eg155

HSC
Hmm maybe stay away from hospo ... society and culture has a 6000 word major work too :L

deswa1

HSC
If you like business, maybe look at economics as well?

There are no prerequisite subjects for accounting at uni I don't think so pick subjects that you are good at/will enjoy. Say the sciences, do you hate them?

starmk53

HSC
N/A

There are no prerequisite subjects for accounting at uni I don't think so pick subjects that you are good at/will enjoy. Say the sciences, do you hate them?
im a tiny bit above average at science but im not sure which one to pick

starmk53

HSC
N/A
Hmm maybe stay away from hospo ... society and culture has a 6000 word major work too :L
im probably not going to do society and culutre but if i did hospitality i would definately drop it in year 12 but ive heard its a bludge

starmk53

HSC
N/A
does anyone know what ATAR i have to get to do accounting roughly?

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad
can you tell me more please like the pros and cons
pros- its a great subject, really interesting, fun pracs, never gets boring( to some extent), scales pretty good.. probably 2nd ( after 4u maths)
cons- in prelim we learn about stupid irrelevant shit ( history etc...), if ur not too good at calculations ( moles,volumes etc.. u may struggle, it's quite demanding

all in all its a gr8 subject, give it a go, if u dont like it, drop it!

HSC
Well the only advice I can give you is from this years experience. You should consider Commerce or Economics if you have them at your school... Hospitality is a bludge so you can do it and drop it BUT take into consideration that you might hate one of your other subjects that you are doing so it's always good to fall back on something and then drop the one your hating like many of my friends are doing at the end of the Yr 11 Term. So maybe instead of doing hospitality do PDHPE since you like it but remember it is mostly theory, but it's very interesting.

Examine

same
HSC
Business Studies:
Pros:
-Gives you a general feel about how things in terms of business works and I guess you appreciate it in some way.
-The finance bit might be interesting for you since you are looking into a future in accounting.
-Relatively manageable workload, with 4 components consisting of Operations, Finance, Marketing and Human Resources
-Most concepts are not too hard to understand.

Cons:
-You need to realise that most people who do Business Studies aren't looking for high ATARs, so you might have a cohort which is relatively unmotivated.
-If you don't really have a knack for it you may find it boring. (though this is the case with most subjects) I find that if you get involved in the subject it can be quite interesting.
-Typically low scaling

If you want to be challenged look into Economics.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
First advice: NEVER EVER pick a subject with the intention to drop it after Year 11. If you end up not liking one of your other subs, it means a whole lot of trouble :/ You may regret it immensely.

Can I recommend Eco to you :) Seeing as if you want to do accounting, the economy may interest you.

Oh and apart from 2U Math, I'm getting the vibes you want to play to humanity strengths. Don't do the sciences unless they interest you.

enoilgam

HSC
First advice: NEVER EVER pick a subject with the intention to drop it after Year 11. If you end up not liking one of your other subs, it means a whole lot of trouble :/ You may regret it immensely.

Can I recommend Eco to you :) Seeing as if you want to do accounting, the economy may interest you.

Oh and apart from 2U Math, I'm getting the vibes you want to play to humanity strengths. Don't do the sciences unless they interest you.
This is pretty much what I would suggest. Just to add on though, dont pick a subject because you think it will be a "bludge" - you will find that all subjects require some degree of effort to obtain success.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Definitely economics! If you are considering a science i'd probably steer away from chem if i was you. I found physics a LOT more interesting and a bit easier, not sure if it was my teacher but the chemistry syllabus just didn't seem to flow logically and i didn't enjoy most of the practical stuff. I liked the first subject for HSC Chemistry (Production Of Materials) but it just went downhill after that. Calculations were heavily tested in last years HSC for chemistry however which i didn't like so i guess that left a bitter taste for me. Actually i won't reccomend you do physics or that you stay away from chem, if you want to do a science then talk to your teacher and read a bit about the various topics you do in each of the different sciences. Chemistry is the best scaling but only very slightly higher scaling than physics, bigger difference between the two and biology though.

starmk53

HSC
N/A

can i do accounting in UNI if i do general maths and general english?

enoilgam

HSC
If you're going to be doing accounting - Extension maths....?
I dont think so - the only real maths you need in accounting is adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing and subbing into formulas. Maths is needed more for finance and economics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)