Need help here (about EAS) (1 Viewer)

jeffreylah

HSC
Hey, I was wondering if someone could give me some help on the EAS scheme.
I currently go to a school in the regional area (Bathurst) and I was wondering if I could apply for the (Rural Isolation) reason..
And how does the EAS deduct UAI or whatever when you get admitted to it?

Thanks

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Each university you apply to under EAS (through your UAC preferences) ranks all other EAS applicants according to need, and where the distinction between one or more particular students' level of need isn't clear, they take academic standing into consideration.

Should a particular university decide that you are eligible for their EAS scheme, your level of "need" in relation to the other eligible EAS students at that uni influences the number of additional points added to your UAI, as does your base UAI. IE, the higher your base UAI, the less points will be added via EAS. The unis might say that they add up to 5 or 10 or whatever points, but this is a ballpark figure.

My UAI was 92.7, and I was allotted less than an extra 2 points.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
^It doesn't quite work like that. UAC establishes the degree of your problem without exact details being described to the universities. The universities respond to UACs assessment with one of two types flexible entry:
  • Allocation - they set aside approx 5% of their places for EAS applicants, and those EAS applicants compete with each other for a place if they have a UAI within a certain number to the cut-off. With UTS for example, if you apply for a communications course, then every EAS applicant who is 10 points or less below the cut-off competes for a place. MQ, USYD, UTS & UNSW are examples of universities that employ this method.
  • Bonus points - each EAS applicant recieves a set amount of points to help you get into the course of your choice at that university. UOW & UWS are examples of universities that employ this method.

What it will not do, is affect your UAI - just ease your way into uni. Even getting EAS approval from one university does not indicate you will be accepted for EAS by another.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i was going to start another big information style post, but it seems the others have covered it already..

just make sure you mention EVERY hardship experienced through year 12 and your schooling for that matter... becuase some hardships attract more 'bonus points' (and i use that term loosely) than others..

Good luck
SJ

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's moronic that someone who goes to what they consider a rural school should get the same compensation than someone with a learning disability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)