Need help on speech + analyse film. (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Hello, I'd like some help analysing a film for my assessment task coming up.

It is a speech, and basically - I'm speaking in front of HSC students/teachers/old people at a launch for a collection of texts entitield "Journeys : The Road to Wonderful Unpredictability ".

The speech requires me to explain and assess the ways in which ideas about The Journey are represented in a variety of texts etc.

The texts I'm going to use is My Place (core text), Alfie (movie) and Journey into the Interior (poem). I have the poem/my place notes set out, but I need tips on how to analyse alfie.

First of all, my idea is to write about how a journey has unpredictable and do so by showing scenarios in my texts and show that while they're on their journey, they've encountered unpredictable circumstances.

However, the requirement of the speech confuses me abit, and my teachers don't really explain it well.

Secondly, I need tips on how to analyse alfie (i'm sure alot of you have watched it) and I know it has alot of unpredictable stuff but as teachers always say - ANALYSE, don't RECOUNT. But with the title of the launch being "Journeys : The Road to Wonderful Unpredictability " it's kinda hard to not recount and analyse how a technique conveys unpredictability?

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone can help, much love.

zanaNANA

HSC
for the analyse dont recount bit...

youre not going to talk about the WHOLE of alfie are you?

that would be just telling the whole story line yarda yarda

you are ANALYSING it by reflecting on the parts of the film relevent to your topic... or at least most relevent...

im not sure if im making any sense... haha

ps. you have got to know nelson, with the whole shufflin.com thing happening

bubbly89

HSC
Okay to keep of the recounting path your plan for your speech should be about your analysis using examples from the plot to back it up. Rather then the other way around.

I think Alfie's biggest journey is into his own belief system... yeah I would change those words if I was you. Pretty much everything he has made his life by is suddenly changed and rocked to the core by the events that follow.
[FONT=&quot]
He starts the movie off with
"
[/FONT]I myself subscribe more to the European philosphy of life, my priorities leaning towards wine, women and... well that's about it. "
[FONT=&quot]
Throughout the movie these events change him
-sleeping with his boyfriends girlfriend
-girlfriend getting pregnant/abortion
-betrayal of friendship
-health scare
-finding out that beauty isn't everything if she's psycho
-finding out his baby is alive ie goodness in the world
-finally baring himself naked to all he's disapproved of and being rejected

I think these are the main events, what you need to go through analysis of these events, how they really shake him to the core and one by one change him to become what remains at the end of the movie.

Think about the symbolism of spending ages picking out flowers at a florist, or him breaking down after meeting with his friend, or dumping the psycho girlfriend, or his relief after his healthscare. How do these all impact the change, how is it done throughout the movie. etc.

Basically if you're talking about the plot for longer then a paragraph, then cut it out.
[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)